• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

new HDD sata controller not detecting anything?

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
6,415
Hi guys i just bought this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/lyco...-esata-plus-3-internal)-inc-dual-pci-brackets to add more sata components on my old pc and so far it doesnt seem to detect any of them.

at first i tried attaching my new hdd i also bought and at first thought maybe hdd is buggered so i connected one of my odl hdd's and a dvd rom and both wasnt detected and found using this new controller.

i have succesfuly installed the drivers for it and in device manager it detects the controler and says its working fine yet what ever sata component i connect to it. the hdd controller itself cant find/detect it?

any ideas? cheers in advance
 
Never used this controller but a few things to try.

After a disk is attached see if it appears in disk management, I've had cards where the disks appear "offline" by default so they don't show up in explorer.

This looks like it uses the SIL chipset/driver. There are 2 types of BIOS for these, RAID and just a regular controller. Mine shipped with raid and i had to change it to get hot swapping working properly.
 
how do i install regular controller? i checked disk management and it doesnt detect it from there either
 
when the computer boots up the card should have its on BIOS screen showing whats attached and you should be able to hit some key to enter the BIOS to set up arrays and such
 
I've got the same card. I've tried building RAID groups fro both the SATA RAID5 Manager software in Windows and from the BIOS as well. Both times, the RAID5 group builds, after a couple of days, and then there is nothing in Windows Disk Management! As far as I'm aware the RAID group should show up as a single volume in Disk Management. The total capacity is 3.63TB (3x 2TB drives) so is it that the thing is too big? I was aware of a 2TB limit, but understood you could partition a bigger drive down under the 2TB limit?
 
Hmm, think I just answered my own question. A 1GB (as opposed to 3.63 maximum capacity) RAID5 group worked fine, so I guess the 2GB limit (I'm using Windows XP by the way) must be on the whole thing, not just partitions within it :-(
 
Back
Top