New HDD not recognized...

zoobaby

Supreme [H]ardness
Our office manager had a new HDD installed on her laptop (personal). When she tries to install WinXP, it doesn't see the HDD. Is there something that needs to be done so that the install process can see the HDD. It is an HP laptop and the BIOS is freaking useless. It is running a HDD test and passed the quick test. I would think this means the bios sees the HDD. Why wont WinXP?

you should be able to go into the bios and see that the system has detected the drive.
then you start the install process and the drive should be detected.
this being said i just slapped together a crappy spare system using a (cough) biostar 939 mb and it gave me multiple problems and took many times before the install took.

check the bios first to make sure its there.

You need to slipstream the sata controller driver into winxp install disk with nlite, or change the ide controller to legacy or compatability on bios,

You need to slipstream the sata controller driver into winxp install disk with nlite, or change the ide controller to legacy or compatability on bios,

Yup! it dawned on me as I was beating my head against a wall. I feel so retarded sometimes!

ah ok. never thought of giving that advice as all the boards ive had while using xp didnt need a separate controller driver.

Back