New HDD for C:

carlmart

Gawd
Just got a new setup, with new mobo, cpu and memories. So maybe it's time to update to faster HDD too.

SDD drives are still quite expensive over here, and will probably remain for some time. So I am considering a more affordable alternative.

What I'm talking about is a SATA 3 6Gb/s HDD, with plenty of cache. Something like this perhaps:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

What do you think? Should I consider any other option?

I have had one of these as a data drive in my system for the last few years and it has been a good performer and trouble free.

Decent warranty as well.

I'm running 2 of those Black WD's in Raid-0 for my OS. They are pretty quick, no where close to an SSD, but they suite my needs just fine.

You would notice a bigger difference upgrading to an ssd. I switched from mechanical sata 2, raid-0 to sata 3, raid-0 and really felt no difference in my system. Benchmarks are a bit higher, but nothing you can really feel while using the pc.

You could buy a small one just for your OS (60GB) and get a regular 7200rpm drive for storage.

Not sure where "over here" is, but a new system without SSD - I wouldn't do it. I have found that the OS and all I need fits well on a 128GB SSD and local storage of 2 TB is a good option.

The speed improvement is impressive even over a good 6GB/s HD.

Can't you get someone to ship an SSD from a cheaper local to you?

While I would prefer a SSD for everything, the Sandisk readycache seems to work well. It is not very expensive compared to a larger SSD.

Sorry, "over here" is Brazil. I live in Rio de Janeiro.

Shipping from the USA to Brazil, with shipping and import taxes, may triplicate the original price.

Besides that, most large retailers, like Newegg or Amazon, do not ship to Brazil at all.

Back