New HD7950 Problems

So I just build myself a new computer and I'm using a Sapphire HD7950. Ever since installing everything I've been getting "display driver amd stopped responding and has recovered". I know there are a lot of other topics about that, and I've tried every fix that I've come across so far with not luck. Until today though I was at least able to play battlefield 3 with no problems. Now the game won't load, it gets hung up on connecting and displays the error message again, and then the game never loads, just sits there. I'm running in windows 7 64 basic because if I turn on aero it freezes and gives the error repeatedly, before the notification message even has time to fade away.

Could it be that my gpu is bad?

Could be, what sort of temps are you seeing? Have you run any other graphically intensive programs (heaven, furmark...), do they cause the same problems?

I know you said it is a new computer, but have you tried cleaning your current driver and using a different version? Never know when some weird glitch will make it thru.

Battlefield 3 is the most graphically intensive thing I did so far and temps never went high. I tried every way possible with older and current drivers for the card and still got the exact same things, even worse. I got a hold of an 8800 gtx+ to test just now and everything is working fine. So I guess I'm going to RMA the card and hope for the best.

go to your power saving settings, go to advanced, and find the PCI-Express tab. turn it off. I had similar problems and it fixed some of them.

Sapphire 7950 OC. I would have 3d mark crash. Now it doesn't. But bf3 still does:[

What is the rest of you system?

PSU?
Video Drivers?
Is this the only video card your computer has ever seen?
Do you have a back-up GPU you could put in to compare?

PSU is a corsair TX 650
I tried the drivers from the disc it came with which gave me 12.3. I installed and tried the RC 11 driver and that didn't work.
It was the only GPU that the computer has used until I put the 8800 GTX+ in just now to test it and everything is working fine.

I had similar issues when I got my 7950 too (Sapphire 7950 OC).
I installed the 12.2 pre-certified driver and that greatly reduced incidences of the driver recovery, but it still happens from time to time.

It sounds like a driver issue, the card keeps locking up.

Uninstall all the amd drivers, boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper :

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

make sure everything is removed and use the 12.2 drivers that naninani posted when you boot back into normal mode.

Also make sure you remove all nvidia drivers too.

Also to add, my 6770 does the same thing if I push the clocks beyond stability of the card.

Last edited:
Back