SadTelevision8558

Limp Gawd
I have:
- Raptor 74GB ADFD
- Seagate 7200.10 320gb
- WD AAKS 640gb
- WD FALS 1TB

OS on Raptor 74gb ATM.

What do you think should go? The 7200.10 or the Raptor? I need storage though for photo editing because shooting in RAW + 15MP is a huge change from JPEG and 4MB images, so I'm eyeing:

WD GP 2TB or WD 1TB Black (again).

Essentially my current 1TB serves as a multimedia video/audio dump. Even though I LOVE the fastest hard drive out there right now, and I always buy the best in class performance drive, I realize *I could* get away with a 2tb green power instead. Do you think this is smart? My raptor is small so I install a lot of apps onto my 320gb drive. IT's also my web download (you know from your browser) drive and my photo editing drive so I could move my 1TB black drive into the slot of the 320gb drive.

I'd love the WD 2TB Black, but at $300, that's 3x more than a 1TB Black. Of course it's fast as hell, but $300 for a drive? I've never paid that much. All those drives were around $100 (the Raptor was closer to 130 or 140), but even $200 for the GP is making me reconsider.

Anyway, the other option is replacing my Raptor which is clearly a waste of physical space for its tiny amount of storage it provides. Would I take a performance hit though? I know it's not that great in transfer tests anymore, but does the 10k RPM help in seek time/responsiveness? I'd obviously replace it with my current 1TB Black or a better drive because I need my OS to be as fast as it can.

Edit: one of my other (unsubstantiated) fears is the loss of an OS. That's why I have always partitioned or in the recent years gone with a totally separate OS drive. If I move a 1TB drive as my main drive, I'll certainly partition. and I haven't seen a HD failure since my 7200.9 crashed in early '06 or so. But the fact that my data and OS will finally be together again brings about fears. Of course that's the same as having separate physical drives but my data drive failing instead, so I suppose I shouldn't be afraid to put my OS and data together (although in separate partitions).

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand what you want?

Raptor = OS drive
1TB = Storage/Data drive
Use the others for whatever you need.

You do not need speed for storage drives. Keep the Raptor clean with OS and applications.

If you want true speed for your OS, consider an SSD, like the Intel X25-M 80GB G2s...if you can find one! :p

sorry i should make it clear that I need a new HD to keep up with my photography and I just filled up a 16GB card this weekend.

So I'm looking at 1TB+ storage options. The WD Black 1tb, 2tb, WD Green 1.5, and 2TB are certainly options. As are other brands.

In doing so I have to swap one drive out of my 4 drive setup now. I could swap out the slowest drive (7200.10) or I could swap out the smallest drive (Raptor). I initially had my eyes set on replacing the Seagate, but am more open to getting rid of the Raptor now. However I'm worried about performance loss. Certainly new drives are faster in transfer rates, but I'm also worried about responsiveness.

Buying a new SSD or a Velociraptor will barely help in terms of my desire for more storage.

I would still use Raptor for OS and applications. Buy a WD 2TB Green and possibly look at building a WHS if you have spare parts lying around.

Hmm well I settled for a 1.5TB WD Green.... I'm looking at a PC upgrade soon meaning this current rig gets pushed onto my parents and I can take their old PC and setup a file server of some sort. Too much money at stake. I shouldn't have dumped so much into photography gear ><

Back