New HD Suggestion

Cheaper here from a better dealer.

Also, if you can afford it, having both a Raptor and 300GB DiamondMax is a pretty sweet setup. You will also like the 16MB WD 7200RPM drives, check them out (WD2500KS and WD4000KD)
 
DougLite said:
Cheaper here from a better dealer.

Also, if you can afford it, having both a Raptor and 300GB DiamondMax is a pretty sweet setup. You will also like the 16MB WD 7200RPM drives, check them out (WD2500KS and WD4000KD)

Thanks man. I think I will order this and later get a Raptor to go with it.
 
I love my WD2500KS (250GB, 16MB). I haven't done any repeatable and quantifiable benchmarks on it yet. However, I'm at a LAN party right now, and it finishes loading Warhammer 40K Dawn of War: Winter Assault levels (when we're in the same multiplayer game) about 8-10 seconds faster than my buddy's WD740GD.

Seeks are pretty subdued, but there is a definite chatter. The drive is sitting in open air on top of a CD-ROM drive about 4 feet from my ears, sounds about like my older drives in a case. It would likely be much quieter in a case.

According to SR, the 16MB WDs use much less power than the 16MB Maxtors, and deliver better performance in contemporary applications. I put my money where my mouth is - I bought a WD2500KS when I made Cavar SE16 the >200GB Category leader in the Buyer's Guide. I have not been disappointed. It's my new favorite drive. ZZF has it cheaper than the 'Egg.
 
Back
Top