New Hardware

sl1982

Limp Gawd
Hey guys i just upgraded some gear and need a little advice. I just recently bought a motherboard with the geforce 8200 igp. Can i fold on this? and is it even worth it. Also i finaly have a quad core with my 9750 phenom. I have SMP set up on it but will i get more PPD running 2 SMP on it? Thanks for the help guys

Ok cool. I wasn't sure if it would work because when i installed it it kept getting errors. But from what ive been reading it might just be because of the EUE problems going on. Anyone know about the 2 SMP clients?

Yes on the 2 smp, just make sure you go though the guides.

Also, make sure you have good cooling on that chip on your mobo. Folding works stuff hard, and I'd hate for you to kill it for lack of a fan.

Yeah i just took a look at the igp. It doesnt have a fan on it and the heatsink is pretty warm. Might not be a good idea to fold on it

Get a nice 80mm or 12mm fan and make sure it gets some air. You'll be amaze at what a diff it makes.

Well i managed to get the GPU folding. I have a 120mm fan sitting in front of it so hopefully it keeps it cool. Will update with PPD on this beast. Might as well use it since it will be a while until i can afford a discrete GPU

Well i managed to get the GPU folding. I have a 120mm fan sitting in front of it so hopefully it keeps it cool. Will update with PPD on this beast. Might as well use it since it will be a while until i can afford a discrete GPU

If it's in your means, a 9600GSO can be had for ~$50 after MIR. This will crank 4-5k ppd depending on the OC you can throw on it.

Do people actually get the rebates? Ive heard some bad things about them. What companies are good with getting rebates out? I might be able to afford one in the next couple months.

To help steal this thread. My estimate would be you recieve about 10 % of rebates applied for. They should be described as x$ if you ever get the MIR. IMO its a waste of a stamp.

I guess thats why i like newegg. They show the price before the rebate. So you know what your paying for and if you get a miracle and get the MIR its a nice bonus. Anyways im gunna try and sell of some old hardware laying around and see if i can get something. If not the mGPU is putting out some 400 ppd right now which is still better then that old p4 i had sucking up juice lol

SO i just went and bought a 40mm fan for that heatsink and holy crap the damn thing is so loud i can hear it from the next room. Doesnt really bother me all that much but i think the wife will have something to say about it when she gets home.

SO i just went and bought a 40mm fan for that heatsink and holy crap the damn thing is so loud i can hear it from the next room. Doesnt really bother me all that much but i think the wife will have something to say about it when she gets home.

See if you can splice in a resistor on that thing.

410PPD is about the max that the little GPU that could can put out. The computer will be basically unusable while it's folding. At least it was on my grandpa's PC. I switched out for a 9600GSO after realizing that.

Well considering that it pretty much is just a media server for my blu-ray's and such it doesnt bother me that the gpu is maxed out. Tversity only uses 1 - 2% of the cpu when serving the files anyways as it doesnt need to transcode.

Back