New [H] folder w/questions

Pitbully

[H]ard|Gawd
So this week I finally took the plunge and started folding for [H]. Thanks to the post on the front page it was much easier to start up then I thought it would be, seeing is how I know absolutely NOTHING about folding and programming. I do have a few questions for you guys that are running multiple boxes though.

1. I have tons of old computer parts laying around, (I'm a hardware junkie and I can never bring myself to sell or throw out my old shit). Is it worth it to put together some old boxes and do some folding with them? We're talking a couple Core 2 Duo's, Athlon x2s and an old Quad 9550. I have more then enough parts to make them run, (motherboards, memory, cases, ect...) My only problem would be operating systems. I have a old copy of XP pro, but I was thinking of putting Ubuntu on the machines.

2. How hard is it to run an Ubuntu machine, (for someone who knows absolutely nothing about linux) and get it folding and would an Intel Core 2 or Athlon x2 with 2 gigs of ram even run Ubuntu? I have no problem learning the basics and plenty of spare time on my hands, but If I'm going to need a entire course in Linux I don't see it being worthwhile. A good friend of mine works for Microsoft and provides me with free copys of Windows 7 Ultimate, but I'd hate to bother him for more, since he's already gave me 4 copys and it seem Linux would be a better option.

3. Each box I set up for folding I assume I use the same passkey/user name/team name so I can get credit, correct?

4. Monitors would be the only thing I'd be short on as far as parts for second/third boxes for folding. I assume I can control them from one system, (my main rig running 7 Ultimate) over a network? I've done some telnet things, controlling gaming severs and whatnot, but again, I'm by no means an expert.

5. I have several old video cards laying around as well. We're talking 7800s, 7950s, 8800GTS, 9800GTs, ect...Would it be worth it to have them folding as well in these old machines?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the giant wall'o'text. :D

1. Some of them might work well - depends on how much you want to spend from a power perspective. Out of the ones you mentioned, the Q9550 is the best of the bunch for points (should do 6k or more points per day). The Athlon x2's and C2D's will be in the 1-2k point per day range. Ubuntu will actually run faster than Windows for folding, so its your best bet.

2. Overall, it isn't too hard, especially if you're not going to use it for anything else. There are a few step by step guides floating around the forum here, and if you want live, step by step instruction, drop into IRC (irc.dp.cx, #hardocp) and the crew will be glad to assist.

3. Yes. Same user/passkey is used on each box.

4. The boxen can run headless (I've got 4 running headless on the other side of the basement). Telnet/ssh can work to administer them, so no worrries on that.

5. Some video cards are better than others. I don't think the 7xxx will do much good, but the 8xxx will. I'll have to defer to others on that, but for what its worth, I have 3 GTX 460's that do about 10,000 ppd.

So this week I finally took the plunge and started folding for [H]. Thanks to the post on the front page it was much easier to start up then I thought it would be, seeing is how I know absolutely NOTHING about folding and programming. I do have a few questions for you guys that are running multiple boxes though.

1. I have tons of old computer parts laying around, (I'm a hardware junkie and I can never bring myself to sell or throw out my old shit). Is it worth it to put together some old boxes and do some folding with them? We're talking a couple Core 2 Duo's, Athlon x2s and an old Quad 9550. I have more then enough parts to make them run, (motherboards, memory, cases, ect...) My only problem would be operating systems. I have a old copy of XP pro, but I was thinking of putting Ubuntu on the machines.

2. How hard is it to run an Ubuntu machine, (for someone who knows absolutely nothing about linux) and get it folding and would an Intel Core 2 or Athlon x2 with 2 gigs of ram even run Ubuntu? I have no problem learning the basics and plenty of spare time on my hands, but If I'm going to need a entire course in Linux I don't see it being worthwhile. A good friend of mine works for Microsoft and provides me with free copys of Windows 7 Ultimate, but I'd hate to bother him for more, since he's already gave me 4 copys and it seem Linux would be a better option.

3. Each box I set up for folding I assume I use the same passkey/user name/team name so I can get credit, correct?

4. Monitors would be the only thing I'd be short on as far as parts for second/third boxes for folding. I assume I can control them from one system, (my main rig running 7 Ultimate) over a network? I've done some telnet things, controlling gaming severs and whatnot, but again, I'm by no means an expert.

5. I have several old video cards laying around as well. We're talking 7800s, 7950s, 8800GTS, 9800GTs, ect...Would it be worth it to have them folding as well in these old machines?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the giant wall'o'text. :D

1.) If you can afford the power go right ahead! That Q9550 should put out some good production, especially if overclocked. The dual cores will not put out as much production but if you have free or cheap power they may be worthwhile. (we will get back to the dual cores later)

2.) Ubuntu is retardedly simple with Musky's linux guide. You can literally know nothing about linux and get great production following that guide. Use linux for the Q9550 and you could get upwards of 8-10K PPD with that CPU with a nice overclock.

3.) Yes, use the same passkey, user name, and Team number for the clients (Team 33 of course :D)

4.) I am a linux noobie, but in muskie's guide you can set up SSH which will allow you to remotely control the machine through an interface such as PUTTY for windows.

5.) The 8800GTS and 9800GT will be worth your time. I would not recommend linux for the machine that uses these cards because it is difficult to set it up. I would recommend the lowest power consuming dual core to be placed in the machine that runs the video cards (also the lowest performing because folding on the CPU will not be worth it with video cards in the machine). The windows V7 client makes it a breeze to set up and get folding right away!

TLDR: Q9550 linux overclock = profit, Lowest power dual core + 2 x GPU with windows V7 client = easy D'ezy

You could hit close to 20K PPD with those two machines

Back