New GTX 770 Gigabyte PSU

xdominos

n00b
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with a possible issue. I have my eye on a new GTX 770 Gigabyte and I have three questions. One will it be compatible with my current build? Secondly what PSU should I get to power the whole rig (certainly need a new one), and thirdly how can I check if these new components will fit into my current case? Thank you for listening, all answers are appreciated.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: XPS 8500
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7570
Card Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Power Supply: Dell manufactured, max 460 watts
Monitors: 1920x1080 and 1600x900

The GTX 770 uses about 180W at peak 3D load

The 460W PSU could very well be enough, though you may need PCIe splitters if the PSU doesn't have the required connectors. If you do get a new PSU and you have a Dell computer, make sure it can take off the shelf PSUs and hasn't got any proprietary connectors that go places in the rig.

The GTX 770 uses about 180W at peak 3D load

The 460W PSU could very well be enough, though you may need PCIe splitters if the PSU doesn't have the required connectors. If you do get a new PSU and you have a Dell computer, make sure it can take off the shelf PSUs and hasn't got any proprietary connectors that go places in the rig.

I don't think there can be a 460W psu that can provide 42 A at +12V. :confused:
I don't know about the Gigabyte model, but Gainward's 770 requires 42 A.
http://www.gainward.com/main/product/vga/pro/p00911/p00911_datasheet_630519483b23d31e.pdf?s=206
My opinion is that you should definately look for another psu.

I don't think there can be a 460W psu that can provide 42 A at +12V. :confused:
I don't know about the Gigabyte model, but Gainward's 770 requires 42 A.
http://www.gainward.com/main/product/vga/pro/p00911/p00911_datasheet_630519483b23d31e.pdf?s=206
My opinion is that you should definately look for another psu.

The GTX770 draws about 180W by itself under max 3D load, if you take the time to look at the picture i provided in the link. The 42A requirement is for a whole rig, and then they take into account that people have bad PSUs that claim to deliver more than they actually can. So 460W can certainly be enough, provided it's a solid unit. His rig would still draw under 300W on average, even with a GTX 770.

I hate to bump threads that are old, but this one seems to be the most recent with similar questions that I have:

Specifically, I am running a Seasonic X-750 in my main rig, and I just ordered a gtx770 to get me over the hump of an RMA'd Asus TOP gtx670 card. Without a doubt, the x-750 will feed a 770, but what about 2 in SLI?

The link provided 180W at peak 3D load seems to contradict Grady McKenney's HardOCP review of the specific card that I got. I'm worried that even though it's a seasonic, I'm at the upper limits of [H]ardOCP testing vs some other source (which seems waaaayy too low).

Am I looking at a PSU upgrade, or will the X-750 cut the mustard?

I hate to bump threads that are old, but this one seems to be the most recent with similar questions that I have:

Specifically, I am running a Seasonic X-750 in my main rig, and I just ordered a gtx770 to get me over the hump of an RMA'd Asus TOP gtx670 card. Without a doubt, the x-750 will feed a 770, but what about 2 in SLI?
The link provided 180W at peak 3D load seems to contradict Grady McKenney's HardOCP review of the specific card that I got. I'm worried that even though it's a seasonic, I'm at the upper limits of [H]ardOCP testing vs some other source (which seems waaaayy too low).
Am I looking at a PSU upgrade, or will the X-750 cut the mustard?

Don't be misguided by the 770 name. Basicaly, these cards are very much like the 680s. Would you put 2 680s in a 750 watt psu? As i said above, Gainward recommends 42A at +12V for a single 770, and your X-750 can give total 62A at +12V.
Personally i wouldn't risk to put a second 770 on this psu.

Don't be misguided by the 770 name. Basicaly, these cards are very much like the 680s. Would you put 2 680s in a 750 watt psu? As i said above, Gainward recommends 42A at +12V for a single 770, and your X-750 can give total 62A at +12V.
Personally i wouldn't risk to put a second 770 on this psu.

Heh, alright buddy. Maximum power consumption of a GTX 770 is about 220w, and that's on a bad day. Usually it'll be under 200. A 650w psu from a solid company would easily power a SLI 770 setup. GFX card manufacturers put high requirements on the box because they assume the crap PSUs that a lot of people that don't know anything buy are over rated. So they put the requirements high so if that crappy over rated 850w PSU is only capable of 3/4s of the rating, it'll still function.

Heh, alright buddy. Maximum power consumption of a GTX 770 is about 220w, and that's on a bad day. Usually it'll be under 200. A 650w psu from a solid company would easily power a SLI 770 setup. GFX card manufacturers put high requirements on the box because they assume the crap PSUs that a lot of people that don't know anything buy are over rated. So they put the requirements high so if that crappy over rated 850w PSU is only capable of 3/4s of the rating, it'll still function.

So you are risking to assume that Gainward is exaggerating about the 42A at +12V??
What if you are mistaken, and the card really demands 42A ?
Personally i never reach conclusions with hypothetical assumptions, and moreover when we are talking about vital pc parts such as PSUs, i never take risks.

Who is talking in hypotheticals?
I KNOW a stock GTX 770 will not exceed 220w.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_770/25.html
So yeah, 440w for the video cards, 150w for CPU mobo, 50w for everything else. Sounds like a 650w system to me.

I used a psu calculator for the system Bullitt has, and with the addition of 2 770s. the consumption is about 640watt, so you are correct, but only for the current setup.
If for example, instead of i5 3770k, he had an AMD like the fx-9370, then the total system consumption would be around 730 watts (*again according to psu calculator), so the Seasonic would be right to its very limits.
And also there is another matter: You know how much a stock 770 consumes. But in our case, he is interested about Gigabyte's 770, and will probably be an OC version. I looked a little at Gigabyte's site, but i couldn't find the official wattage consumption:confused: (*besides a general comment that 600watt psu is required). Then i went to Asus site and as you will see at the link below, Asus says that 770's power consumption can be "up to 300watt", which is way more than the stock 220watt.
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX770DC2OC2GD5/#specifications
If we take this for granded and think that Gigabyte's models are using 3 fans at their windforce cooling system, then we can assume that their 770s OC cards, may exceed the 300watt that Asus 770 needs.

I used a psu calculator for the system Bullitt has, and with the addition of 2 770s. the consumption is about 640watt, so you are correct, but only for the current setup.
If for example, instead of i5 3770k, he had an AMD like the fx-9370, then the total system consumption would be around 730 watts (*again according to psu calculator), so the Seasonic would be right to its very limits.
And also there is another matter: You know how much a stock 770 consumes. But in our case, he is interested about Gigabyte's 770, and will probably be an OC version. I looked a little at Gigabyte's site, but i couldn't find the official wattage consumption:confused: (*besides a general comment that 600watt psu is required). Then i went to Asus site and as you will see at the link below, Asus says that 770's power consumption can be "up to 300watt", which is way more than the stock 220watt.
http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX770DC2OC2GD5/#specifications
If we take this for granded and think that Gigabyte's models are using 3 fans at their windforce cooling system, then we can assume that their 770s OC cards, may exceed the 300watt that Asus 770 needs.

EDIT: I just saw that Bullitt doesn't mention a specific model, so my mistake about gigabyte, but the question still remains, what if he chooses an OC model like Asus's 770?

The Asus DC2 OC uses less power then the stock card.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_770_Direct_Cu_II_OC/25.html

Unless he decides to go sub zero benching, I stand by that a 650w psu will be fine. It you personally want some more overhead in your PSUs that's fine. The fact of the matter though is that his PSU will be fine. A X-750 Seasonic will power an overclocked 3770K and SLI 770s all day every day.

Can we be done now?

Back