New GTX 680 Poor Performance

Hi Guys,

I'd really appreciate it if someone could attempt to help me figure out why I'm getting such poor performance with my new EVGA GTX 680.

Specs:

EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Intel Core i7-930 2.8GHz LGA 1366 Quad-Core Desktop Processor

EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Professional Series HX650 (CMPSU-650HX) 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI

Running Win7 64-bit 1920x1080, the opening scene of Skyrim only gives me around 40-50 FPS on Ultra settings, while a friend that runs a GTX 570 is getting 60-80 FPS on the same section. I've monitored the hardware and none of my CPU cores are maxed and the GPU is showing only around 40-50% usage. I've tried both the newest release drivers and the newest beta drivers. I've also tried changing the Power Management setting in the NVIDIA control panel from Adaptive to Prefer Maximum Performance. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Have you run any benchmarks? Are you having issues with any other applications/games or just skyrim and is the 40-50 not enough, or are you wanting to have more frames than your friend? You say it is giving you poor performance, but I think the performance you are getting looks fine. What is your friends GPU/CPU load when he gets those frames? Also, the new 600 series nvidia cards only perform to what they think is needed, which could be the issue.

I just ran 3Dmark11 and got P9298 for Graphics Score which is above target and P3552 for Physics Score which is below target. I really figured if I was CPU bottlenecked I would have seen the active cores closer to 100% during bottleneck.

Are you absolutely certain both of you are using the same resolution, the same game graphics settings, and the same video card control panel settings. Im betting you aren't using the exact same settings everywhere. Sounds like you have your options set to higher quality than him. There's no rational reason otherwise why a 670 wont exceed a 570 by a good margin given all things are equal.

We both have the same monitor and run them at 1920x1080. We both went in to the NVIDIA control panel and restored all defaults and reset all Skyrim settings to Ultra and then verified it set them all the same way.

Me - i7 930 @ 2.8ghz
Him - i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz

I can OC to 3.2 or so when I get home but I just can't see that being the major issue here as my cores aren't maxxing out. I wonder if it could be the bus from/to the CPU or the bridge being saturated. I don't have much experience monitoring those.

Overclock the 930. My i7 920 runs at 3.8GHz+ with no issues.

Agreed. My old i7 920 had no problem running 3.8GHz stable. Nehelams do run hotter than Sandy or Ivy but that's cheaper than buying a new CPU and MB and likely memory too in this case.

I'll agree with the others here, overclock your 930 and you'll be fine. Hell you should be able to whack an H100 on there and push close to 4ghz provided the chip is in good shape.

You guys are good. Just overclocked the 930 to 3.2ghz and I see huge improvements. GPU usage is now closer to 75% in the games I'm testing, so it looks like I'm shooting for 3.6ghz or maybe 4ghz to remove the bottleneck. The only problem is that this chip has been running overclocked (and probably pretty hot) for the most of the past 2 years, so it's pretty worn.

Really appreciate the tips everyone.

Back