New GT5 Video

Looks *phenomenal*, no question about it :). And I have to agree, anyone saying Forza 2 looks even close is on crack. PGR4, maybe is close, but not Forza 2, not by a long shot.

Looks *phenomenal*, no question about it :). And I have to agree, anyone saying Forza 2 looks even close is on crack. PGR4, maybe is close, but not Forza 2, not by a long shot.

I must be on crack then. Keep in mind that's obviously replay mode. Watch a Forza 2 replay mode. The graphics aren't THAT much different. It's gameplay that matters in racing games anyway, and movies show nothing for gameplay.

I must be on crack then. Keep in mind that's obviously replay mode. Watch a Forza 2 replay mode. The graphics aren't THAT much different. It's gameplay that matters in racing games anyway, and movies show nothing for gameplay.

Have you played GT:HD? I can tell you that replay mode looks just like gameplay mode. Doesnt matter if you play first person (in car) or 3rd person (behind car), the game looks exactly like the replay mode. Replay mode is not a pre-rended video, and they don't do "extra effects". The only thing that is different is where they put the camera, everything else is the same. Sounds like some of you just don't want to admit that Forza 2 doesnt look as good... its ok... this doesnt mean that F2 is not a good game.

I agree that's probably replay mode, but it still uses the same graphics and models. And I've also played Forza 2, and honestly I think the difference is night and day.

I DO understand that the important thing for a racing sim is gameplay, though, and obviously we can't judge that from this trailer. If they manage to pull off killer gameplay and accurate physics, etc (which, to be fair, the PS3 *should* be able to offer superior physics as compared to 360), along with looking better than Forza, that'll be awesome.

Honestly I'm sure that the Forza team could have done better with the graphics, I just think they focused on gameplay to the point where tehy neglected the graphics. Who knows, this one just may turn out to have the opposite problem, but we won't know until it releases. I wouldn't be surprised to have news of Forza 3 by then, though.

Yeah, I noticed that also....GT5 got the simulated "sunlight" better but other than that not much difference to Forza 2 as far as car modeling.

WHAT? Refer to page 2. Forza 2 has nothing on GT5. Nothing.

Have you played GT:HD? I can tell you that replay mode looks just like gameplay mode. Doesnt matter if you play first person (in car) or 3rd person (behind car), the game looks exactly like the replay mode. Replay mode is not a pre-rended video, and they don't do "extra effects". The only thing that is different is where they put the camera, everything else is the same. Sounds like some of you just don't want to admit that Forza 2 doesnt look as good... its ok... this doesnt mean that F2 is not a good game.

You're right. There is no difference whatsoever in Forza 2 from reply and actual racing. It only seems that way b/c of the dynamic camera angle movement and shit.

I think its difficult to compare Forza 2 and GT5. Damage modeling and the very realistic physics of Forza 2 eat up alot of resources. I think if GT5 had damage and wen't for the same sort of realism then I think they may not have had the same beauty. GT5 is an arcade style racing game with real cars.

Personally, Forza's style of racing has really grown on me. GT5 looks good, but if the game play is pretty much the same as previous GTs then I'll only pick it up, should I buy a PS3 at some point, when the game hits the "Greatest Hits". It wont be a system buyer for me like GT3 was for the PS2.

I think its difficult to compare Forza 2 and GT5. Damage modeling and the very realistic physics of Forza 2 eat up alot of resources. I think if GT5 had damage and wen't for the same sort of realism then I think they may not have had the same beauty. GT5 is an arcade style racing game with real cars.

Personally, Forza's style of racing has really grown on me. GT5 looks good, but if the game play is pretty much the same as previous GTs then I'll only pick it up, should I buy a PS3 at some point, when the game hits the "Greatest Hits". It wont be a system buyer for me like GT3 was for the PS2.

I don't think (but I could be wrong) GT5 is going to have a problem with realistic physics... I think that’s what the Cell CPU's does well. I do wish it had damage, but I guess we can't have everything. At least when I hit a wall doing 120mph my car will still look beautiful in 1080p ;)

Engine swapping on Forza reminds me so much of the now defunct Motor City online. God, I loved that game. IMO, this and the the auction house is what makes Forza unique. But not having G25 support still irks me.

I don't think (but I could be wrong) GT5 is going to have a problem with realistic physics... I think that’s what the Cell CPU's does well. I do wish it had damage, but I guess we can't have everything. At least when I hit a wall doing 120mph my car will still look beautiful in 1080p ;)

Yeah i dont think GT5 will have a problem with physics one bit. The older GTs were good physics for the day. Damage is really one of the few legit complaints left, but seriously, i cant count how many people online play with damage off on Forza 2.

Hopefully they will be able to keep up that level of anti aliasing on the car models for retail release. But no damage models? Please, this is supposed to be the car driving simulator or whatever tag line their marketing department slapped onto it. Saying "oh, just dont crash" dosnt cut it. We all know there is little nudging and accidents where you go over the corner a liiiitle toooo much and spin our and slap the wall a bit screwing up your handling till you can pit.

Im not trying to compare to forza or start a VS flamewar, but when i got forza 2 one thing that blew me away was the damage models. I damaged one of my tires and my car would drift to the left. I fucked up my transmission somehow and i could feel my car struggle to change gears.(both in force feedback, and audible noises and a much longer more inconsistent shift) I would just expect/want the same thing on GT5, if not a better implementation of it.

If I screw up bad enough that my car has transmission problems and is pulling to one side, I usually restart the race. :(

I don't think GT really is going to be going for more realistic physics. Honestly, I expect that GT5 will be a prettier looking version of the previous GT games. It looks beautiful, but if thats all the innovation of GT, then I'm not really that interested. I'm not bashing GT. I loved GT and GT3. GT3 was a big jump from the previous titles. Hopefully GT5 is also (not just in graphics). People have been wondering about damage in GT with the past few editions and nothing has materialized. Since I've been playing with damage in Forza 2, playing without it seems just too unrealistic now. I guess I'm kinda spoiled.

i heard that they will have limited damage, online racing, and a few other things, ill try to find the link.

I thought GTHD had pretty darn good physics with all the aids off and low grip tires. I assume those plus the graphics will only improve in GT5.

Yeah I read the race cars have damage modeling. Don't know if that's confirmed.

The official word is that there won't be damage. I haven't heard of any exceptions to that. I don't think you'll see damage applied to one part of the game and not another.

I found the Forza 2 graphics to be disappointing. The cars have a plastic, unfinished look to them, as if they were popped out of molds, and the overall textures are more like GT2 than what I should be seeing on an Xbox 360. The lighting on the cars looks like they never bothered working on it after alpha. Not to mention the depressingly floaty handling and kamikaze AI cars.

The only thing that Forza 2 brings to the gameworld is the lovely do-it-yourself car painting system. People have done some remarkable things with it that help make up for the last-generation graphics.

I found the Forza 2 graphics to be disappointing. The cars have a plastic, unfinished look to them, as if they were popped out of molds, and the overall textures are more like GT2 than what I should be seeing on an Xbox 360. The lighting on the cars looks like they never bothered working on it after alpha. Not to mention the depressingly floaty handling and kamikaze AI cars.

The only thing that Forza 2 brings to the gameworld is the lovely do-it-yourself car painting system. People have done some remarkable things with it that help make up for the last-generation graphics.

Actually, I found that the AI cars were pretty good. They actually would try to avoid hitting you, if possible. Sometimes though, some AI players would play rougher. It wasn't perfect but it was refreshing to see AI players react to the player for a change.

Really, the graphics weren't that bad. You are grossly exagerating and I found the handling to be much more realistic and less arcade feeling than GT. I think the game looks good and I've played many different racers on both the PS2, Xbox, and PC and while I think the cars in Forza 2 are not as polished looking as the GT5 cars, the game play is very good. Much better than I've seen in previous GT games (for my tastes, anyway) and I've played every GT with the exception of GT4.

I get the impression that you didn't really play much Forza 2 or you only payed the demo which was arcade mode with stock tires. The demo feels alot different than a tuned car in simulation. The demo cars don't handle very well. Then again, they are stock cars with stock tires which wouldn't handle that well in the first place.

It looks amazing, just like I figured it would. Maybe even better than I expected.

Too bad that I lost all interest in it once I heard there will be no damage. That will remove the competitive online racing aspect of the game, my favorite portion of Forza 2. It's going to be hard to stop it from turning into a demolition derby. Even when you have damage turned to cosmetic in Forza (about 90+% of the servers have sim or cosmetic damage), you can still kill your top speed and handling with a wreck by ruining your body and knocking off spoilers.

With that incentive to run a clean race removed from the game, I can only imagine what kind of f*cktards are going to dominate the GT world online. It will be just like playing the first GT with your buddies. Trail your friend into a corner, brake late, kick it sideways, bump him off the track and take his place.

Meh.

It looks fantastic and I loved GT2, but the feeling of Forza 2 and GTR 2 in full sim w/ all assists off has been much more exhilarating. I really hope GT5 nails it this time...

And we need another controller too, those throttle buttons are garbage on PS3 stock pad. Anyone remember playing Wipeout XL on the PSone w/ the Negron twist? Those tall analog buttons!

Controller?... Racing game?.. I don't comprehend. Racing sims should always be played with a wheel. Unless you drive your car with a controller, if so, i want to buy it from you.

Better use my gun controller for my fps and wand controller for rpg's then eh :rolleyes:

Simulation for me means something that is mimicking something you can do in life. So no since there aren't really FPS simulators or RPG simulators then no i won't need a wand or gun. The point of a simulation is to do something as realistic as possible, but not being able to do it in real life (like racing against others in really expensive cars).

Back