New GT5 time trial demo arriving Dec 17th

Beginning December 17, 2009, the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge will be available for download on the PlayStation Network (PSN) store.

Powered by Gran Turismo 5's brand-new physics engine, the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge features both a stock and a tuned version of the new Nissan 370Z, and includes two time trial events on a single track, one for each version of the car. Players are invited to put the game through its paces, pushing their driving skills to post their best lap times for both versions of the Nissan 370Z.

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5142.html

Awesomesauce. I hope we get a newer build than the one they've had at the shows though.

/fingers crossed

Yeah, I'm not going to get excited for this until it's downloaded and running on my PS3.

Still, I'm pretty excited to see what's included.

do we need the gt5 prologue or its standalone?

It's a standalone download based on GT5 technology. It's not using the GT5:prologue engine.

It should feature many physics upgrades over anything most of us have experienced since Prologue. I think damage will certainly be included. Hopefully they include more tuning options. Not a huge fan of Nissans, but whatever. I just want to play !

The track is supposed to be a road course at Indianapolis. If you're one of the fastest and advance to the next round, they open up new tracks.

I hope to see a wind tunnel in the full game. ;)

Very excited, perfect timing for me, can't wait to get back to relax during vacation and play.

Can't wait for people to start whining that it'll only have two cars and one section of one track.

This is a big FU for those people who said that you need to pay for the GT5 demo.

Holy balls, I'm going to be playing this trial until the fingers bleed trying to get that best time. I know it's a long shot, but that's a hell of an incentive (for me anyways). I would kill to have the chance to get out on a real track to race those cars.

It was pre-emptive trolling... because god forbid we could have a Forza / GT thread without mention of the competition and the usual bullshit that follows.

Yeah it sucks. The academy would be so cool.

VIP tickets to the Indy 500 would be fun though.

forza 3 is stil the best

derail2.jpg

More info on GT5 from Kotaku:
http://kotaku.com/5421939/speedy-gran-turismo-5-impressions-bumper-falls-off-heads-theoretically-turn
"Just got back from a Sony showcase a few blocks from Kotaku's NYC office. Heading back over there post-haste. Had a few minutes to try to wreck a car in Gran Turismo 5 and learn about the game's head-tracking.

A Sony representative was showing Polyphony Digital's upcoming PlayStation 3 racing game, and let me drive a couple of laps around a city track. What does me, a non Gran Turismo player do? Fall into last place and start bumping into walls.

My Audi TT took no damage even as I bashed it against the wall. The Sony rep explained to me that damage for that car wasn't in the demo. Damage was being shown on a Subaru WRC Impreza, the same virtual car McWhertor wrecked in Germany.

I smacked the Subaru into walls until its doors were flying open and its fenders were scratched. The Sony man took over and got the bumper to nearly fall off. He said he's gotten the hood knocked off too and that beneath these busted bits Polyphony has rendered the innards of the car. We'll be able to see behind the damage.

And it's not just cosmetic damage, I was told. The car's performance will be impaired if the vehicle is roughed up. Gears might not shift as well, for example.

The other stand-out feature I was told about was head-tracking. The game will support the PlayStation 3 camera, the PlayStation Eye. While one wasn't hooked up at today's event, it was explained that the device will track a player's head movements. The goal is for the depth-of-field focal point far down the track to shift, matching your head movement. What you look at will be appear more clearly, in theory. So as you look a little to the right, the right part of what you see beyond your car may come more sharply into focus. But the car itself won't turn with your head, of course.

The Sony rep explained that Polyphony's goal is for players to feel like they are experiencing what real racers see. He noted that the feature was still a work in progress and couldn't offer more details about how it works. From his gestures, I suspect the head-tracking will be responsive more to leans than to head turns, the latter of which obviously would make it hard to see the TV."

With neither the head-tracking incorporated into this demo nor the performance effects of the car damage evident to a series novice like myself, I can't judge either feature. But they sound like the attention to deal the series is respected for.

I saw someone else recently posting about playing a demo, and they too described a suburu and from the description, it sounds like the Tokyo stage. It might be that really old demo from the summer. I don't think they're playing the same demo that will be in the time trial. I'm still curious how the damage will be handled. All cars have damage now, but I think the race cars will go a few steps further in realism/destructability.

If there were a god you'd be banned 6 times over by now. Nothing but shit in this thread by you.

yes yes lets ban me from having a joke ;)

please point me to a forum rule stating how sarcasm and jokes are not allowed in this forum:D

forza 3 is the best blah blah, now ban me:rolleyes:

Anyways back on topic, yes all cars will have damage similar to forza 3 but only the race cars will have doors and bumpers comming off though.

cant wait to try the demo.

Absolutely. They will catch hell if the ITT demo doesn't have damage and people can bounce off walls to improve lap times.

Yeah, I can't see them letting grinding affect the overall outcome... people would be PISSED.

Well they (partially) fixed the wall grinding/bouncing issue already in GT5: Prologue by disabling the throttle for like 5 seconds after hitting a wall. Some tracks still allowed you to make turns faster even with the punishment, but it was better than nothing. Also, all they would have to do is disqualify you if you hit a wall or go off road if you were competing for the contest.

I would still hope they would include damage in this demo though.

Well they (partially) fixed the wall grinding/bouncing issue already in GT5: Prologue by disabling the throttle for like 5 seconds after hitting a wall. Some tracks still allowed you to make turns faster even with the punishment, but it was better than nothing. Also, all they would have to do is disqualify you if you hit a wall or go off road if you were competing for the contest.

I would still hope they would include damage in this demo though.

Exactly what I'm assuming. If you hit/grind a wall your time will be automatically red flagged and not taken into account so you have to race clean. Maybe the demo will be setup in a way that your best time will be recorded and PD will have you upload that vid somewhere.

I don't know, I'm just not setting my expectations high, this is only a time trial demo, a very small piece of the whole game aimed at people who want to have a go at this contest.

Anyway we will find out only in a week's time. My wheel is ready.

Back