New Grand Theft Auto Online Mode

HardOCP News

[H] News
Blue's News has the rundown on the new Grand Theft Auto Online mode announced by Rockstar earlier today. This looks like a rather substantial update and the best part is that it is free.

To kick off 2017 in style, pick up the new Pegassi FCR 1000 Motorcycle and engage in an explosive new brand of vehicular warfare with the Vehicle Vendetta Adversary Mode. There are also opportunities for bonus GTA$, a fully-stocked list of New Year discounts and more. Read on for all the details on today's updates, inbound deals and your last chance to grab a holiday gift.

Mode? Article says nothing about a new online mode.......

I can't play it anyway, keeps telling me it can't update it's catalogue :/ tried everything. Crappy online mode..

people still play this online? the last time I was on there were 30 hackers dropping bombs into your living room, it took 60 min to start a mission, somebody would drop out and you'd exit the mission. just prior to shutting the game down, i could physically feel my will to live waning.

people still play this online? the last time I was on there were 30 hackers dropping bombs into your living room, it took 60 min to start a mission, somebody would drop out and you'd exit the mission. just prior to shutting the game down, i could physically feel my will to live waning.

They have made billions (think over 4 billion) from the online part of the game.

Yeah, "free".

It's just a new game mode. I'm not sure how you get "substantial update" from that.

Yeah, "free".

It's just a new game mode. I'm not sure how you get "substantial update" from that.

Like all GTA updates they do not cost you any additional money to get if you own the game. So that makes it free.

It was pretty obvious with the import/export DLC, that they make their money on the shark card porition (basically forking over real cash for fake in game cash) I still have fun in GTA online because I will get in a session with 3 or 4 friends from work and we have a good time. I can see how if you are approaching the online aspect solo it would seem pretty crappy.

I've never bought any shark cards, but they made plenty of money off me, I had it for xbox 360, xbox one, and now PC.

Yeah... loved GTA V, played online for a few hours. But its basically just a bunch of Trevors running around. Single player is obviously dead for this current game. I'm probably done with the whole franchise. Not as if they need my money, just saying.

Last edited:
Yeah, "free".

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

Most of the new stuff added to GTA Online has been pretty substantial (Heists, motorcycle gangs, the ability to run your own crime empire). The type of new game content Ubisoft and EA love to stick in DLC packs to squeeze more money from you after you already paid for the game. The online portion of GTA V is a dramatically different game than it was at launch.

I hate that they make you do most of the new stuff on public servers (which are a cancer on society) but they've been adding tons of legitimately new stuff to the game. The KITT car happens to be my favorite vehicle they've ever put in the game.

I wish they would actually fix the slow matchmaking/connecting etc. Takes a very long time to join/leave a session, change the map and so on. One of the reasons I don't play it anymore is the sheer amount of time that takes to actually get something going. Sometimes a race takes less time than the time to get it going.

Like all GTA updates they do not cost you any additional money to get if you own the game. So that makes it free.

The update may be free, but with the exorbitant price of all the new items you either have to devote your life to playing the game or shell out money for shark cards.

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

Most of the new stuff added to GTA Online has been pretty substantial (Heists, motorcycle gangs, the ability to run your own crime empire). The type of new game content Ubisoft and EA love to stick in DLC packs to squeeze more money from you after you already paid for the game. The online portion of GTA V is a dramatically different game than it was at launch.

Rockstar did. They went from one of my favorite developers to one of the most hated. Most of this "free" content costs way more than any paid DLC that Ubisoft or EA would release. I would gladly pay $20-$40 for DLC that had all content available to be used rather than the hundreds of dollars that would be required to unlock stuff in GTA Online right now. Nothing is free unless you're prepared to play nothing but GTA Online with all of your free time. Rockstar is squeezing way more money out of us now with GTA Online that it would have if they had just released paid DLC.

The update may be free, but with the exorbitant price of all the new items you either have to devote your life to playing the game or shell out money for shark cards.

Rockstar did. They went from one of my favorite developers to one of the most hated. Most of this "free" content costs way more than any paid DLC that Ubisoft or EA would release. I would gladly pay $20-$40 for DLC that had all content available to be used rather than the hundreds of dollars that would be required to unlock stuff in GTA Online right now. Nothing is free unless you're prepared to play nothing but GTA Online with all of your free time. Rockstar is squeezing way more money out of us now with GTA Online that it would have if they had just released paid DLC.

This sounds like a 'you' problem. I haven't spent any money in GTA Online and I'm far enough along and having fun.

Back