New GPUs from Nvidia and AMD?

TheCommander

2[H]4U
I've been out of the loop for video cards for a while. Are there any new Nvidia or AMD vid cards coming anytime soon? If not, is there an estimate on when new cards will come?

Most current Nvidia cards are the 970/980 Maxwell cards. The AMD side is the 290 series. Your research path has begun. ;)

Nvidia released the 970 / 980 series recently. There is supposed to be a 960 series coming soon also.
AMD has some new cards coming next year according to the rumor mill. They are as quiet as mice when asked what the future looks like.

Yes, it's expected that both will be releasing some cards soon. Have you kept up with your computer system? What are your specs? Are you going to be upgrading your motherboard, cpu, ram etc..? If so what's your budget for GPU.

As mentioned earlier there is a GTX 960 releasing pretty soon from Nvidia. After December there is rumors of Super High end gpu's coming from both AMD and Nvidia.

Intel 2500K oced to 4.4ghz
AMD 7870
8gb RAM

About 700 dollars as far as budget goes for a GPU. I was looking at the 980 but if new cards are coming out soon, I can wait. Doesnt really matter to me either if it is AMD or Nvidia.

Intel 2500K oced to 4.4ghz
AMD 7870
8gb RAM

About 700 dollars as far as budget goes for a GPU. I was looking at the 980 but if new cards are coming out soon, I can wait. Doesnt really matter to me either if it is AMD or Nvidia.

Wait till Q1 2015 for R9 390X and GM200 to launch and then choose one of those. :)

The 970/980 are the first of the "new generation" of cards. So if you were already looking at that, there's no need to wait.

At that resolution, a 970 will kick ass. The (hypothetical) new cards will be better for sure, but we don't know by how much, and how long we'd be waiting on them. As well, they'll most likely be even higher end and they would not be as good in the "bang-for-buck" department. Should you buy a 970, it wouldn't be pushed down in value very steeply when those cards come out.

Or, y'know, wait, and stuff. 'Cause if you can hold out, there's always something better.

I have a 1920x1200 screen. I agree with the 970 posts. It should serve you well (max the games you listed with some kind of AA) and if something better comes out the value should hold well.

DSR + a little bit of AA is really really good at getting rid of aliasing.

Back