New GPS unit

Polarhound

I suck at [H]F
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Messages
1,305
One of my idiot coworkers dropped my Magellan Roadmate 300 (which I use regularly for work), so I made them buy me a new one.

Now, I have a Magellan Maestro 3100. I was scared for a minute because there was no external antenna port, but I don't think I'm going to be too worried now that as I'm writing this in my cellar with it in front of me, I have a signal on 5 satellites including 3 green. With the 300, I needed a magnetic antenna on the roof.. The 3100 apparently has a new GPS chipset (SiRF) that is light years beyond the old technology. 5 signals with this where I can't get a cell phone signal UPSTAIRS ... I'll take it :)

What do you all use for GPS? I bought the 300 because it was the cheapest one, but despite it's quirks I liked it overall. The 3100 was $249 at Worst Buy. Spent an hour playing around with the others, and found I couldn't STAND any of them for one reason or another, primarily due to the interface and/or touch screen usability.

The only part that sucks: I must now re-enter about 250 addresses since the 300 doesn't save them on the SD card.....
 
I have a Garmin Nuvi 360. Beautiful little machine, but certainly pricey.
 
I use a Mio c310x, got it for $199. It also has the SiRFstar III chip. Excellent reception even indoors on a rainy day.
 
Back
Top