New Google Guidelines Prevent Apps from Collecting Unnecessary Data

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Google is preventing apps from collecting unnecessary data that isn't required for the app to work. Apps that save and disseminate such personal data that doesn't need to be collected must explain to the user how the data is going to be used. In addition, the user must give permission to the developer to collect the information.

Apps handling personal user data (such as user phone number or email), or device data will be required to prompt users and to provide their own privacy policy in the app. Additionally, if an app collects and transmits personal data unrelated to the functionality of the app then, prior to collection and transmission, the app must prominently highlight how the user data will be used and have the user provide affirmative consent for such use.

Just now they're doing this? Just now they figured out apps collect data without peoples consent? Geez google you slow.

Amazing what comes from the threat of legal action and fines. But you can see that it is what it takes for a corporation to do what it says, and follow the law.

Does Apple have a similar policy? Not trying to start an Apple vs Google war in here, but if Apple doesn't do this and Google does that could almost convince me to look at Android devices again next update.

This really should be at the point of submitting the app to the play store, and just deny access to apps that can't demonstrate a need for data collection for the app to function. Change app permissions? Resubmit the app.

Does Apple have a similar policy? Not trying to start an Apple vs Google war in here, but if Apple doesn't do this and Google does that could almost convince me to look at Android devices again next update.

If certain people reply to this question, they will tell you that Apple is the worst when it comes to privacy and that Apple makes more money than anyone on selling you. But Apple hate is quite high here, so take it with a grain of salt. Apple does require you to authorize an apps far reaching tentacles. You get prompts at first run as well under Settings > Privacy and then different sub-sections (contacts, camera, mic, gps, etc).

If certain people reply to this question, they will tell you that Apple is the worst when it comes to privacy and that Apple makes more money than anyone on selling you. But Apple hate is quite high here, so take it with a grain of salt. Apple does require you to authorize an apps far reaching tentacles. You get prompts at first run as well under Settings > Privacy and then different sub-sections (contacts, camera, mic, gps, etc).

So Apple is doing no different than what Google is outlining here in that it just has to inform you that it is collecting and selling your data, no actual prevention of the collection? I'm curious...the initial post here by Megalith states that "Google is preventing apps from collecting unnecessary data that isn't required for the app to work" but really all it is doing is requiring the app to ask permission to do the collecting, not actually preventing it.

So does this apply to Google Analytics? What about the OS? Or is Google just stomping out the competition in the data collection business?
I bet google apps get all the permissions automatcally, with no way to decline manually.

Why you no answer his question but go into defense mode?

Headline should read, “Android getting closer to IOS, and IOS getting closer to Google.

I actually hate that when I submit an app there isn't a simple way to explain WHY I am using certain permissions. For example, when submitting VR enabled apps, it's a requirement that I get permission to read the phone's state - even though I don't actually do anything with the phone state.

I definitely support having to provide an explanation for what is being tracked and why, and do not want it to be buried in a privacy policy no one will read. An up front, easy to read section in the store description would be ideal.

So does this apply to Google Analytics? What about the OS? Or is Google just stomping out the competition in the data collection business?
That's been the impetus behind a number of Google privacy maneuvers for the last few years.

Why you no answer his question but go into defense mode?

Instead of trying to bait him with anti Apple crap, can't YOU answer the question?

The truth is that none of us know what ANY of these companies are actually up to with our data, and you know it.

But he is totally right though, this forum is totally full of hate gifted, intellectually challenged people when it comes to anything Apple.

Back