New Gfx for my rig

r3awak3n

Gawd
I currently have a x1950 xt on my intel qx6700, 4gigs ddr2 800 machine and need a new graphics card, I bought the x1950 because I didnt want to spend so much on a dx10 card then, didnt have the money and really did not need it (conmputer was for 3d work), Now with some good games out i am whiling to get a new graphics card, and a new screen, my 2 215tws dont play gears of war very well so i am getting a 24in tn samsung to go in the middle and need a new card to run it through. I am whiling to spend btw3 300 and 400 and was wondering what to get. I would appreciate your input guys and any alternative i might find better. I did my research and found that in that price range i shoud prob get a 8800 gt or a gts but SLIing my x1950xt 256mb came across my head.

thanks alot in advance :)

You did your research, but your asking about SLIing ATi cards? :p

Out of the 8800GTS or GT the GT is way better.

Im pretty sure it would own a Crossfire setup with your 1950's.

I might be willing to sell my 8800 GTX for near what you're looking to spend. A GT would be a good bit less, but at that res you're running in to potential 'just not enough power' territory.

I would honestly wait for some next gen cards.

The X1950 XT should play all your games at medium settings for a good while.

A GTX does seem indeed to be a good choice for your needs right now. Not that I mean any offense or stopping a sale from silent-circuit, but you could get a new 88gt/x eVGA brand if you need it absolutely right now and then new cards should definitely be coming out within the step-up window. But thats speculation on my part.

Have you looked at the 3850 or 3870 cards from the main page? It all depends in when you plan to buy. From what I understand a couple of 3850's in Crossfire would be really schweet! Not too hard on your pocket plus you'd be DX10.1 ready!

@scotty: that made me sound like a noob ahah, crossfire ahah, damn competing companies with their different names for similar concepts.

hmmm, i could wait and i know the x1950xt works fine, plays everything high on gow at 1680x1050 no proble, it would prob stall crysis. But the thing is i need another card for the new screen otherwise i wouldnt really care. When are these new cards coming out?

GTX is what i want but 500 or more dollars for a card, i dunno, hard for me to give seeing how fast they go from top to midrange.

Actually, if the rig in your sig is accurate, then SLI is indeed correct, not Crossfire. 680i is a SLI chipset, and with very few exceptions, you cannot use Crossfire on a SLI chipset. You can't SLI ATi cards however, as has been pointed out, so getting another X1950XT would be pointless (as it would anyway; getting a single 8800GT would be less costly and at least as effective, probably moreso than putting two X1950XT's in Crossfire on a Crossfire-compatible chipset).

/\ ahah, good point. well imight go for the 8800gt and do the step up evga program when the next gen come out. That is probably the best i can do cuz i dont really want to cash out over 400 and for 300 dollars for the 8800 i can do some good gaming for now.

Back