New GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Coming Soon?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Chinese-language tech site it168.com posted a handful of picture they claim are the new GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB. The site says that the GTS will be clocked at 650MHz on the core, 1940MHz for the memory and have 128 shader processors.

I doubt this will be any faster than GT.

Uh... what? The core clock is the same but it has 12.5% more stream processors - how would it *not* be faster than the 8800GT? For comparison the 8800 Ultra has 128 stream processors and a core of 612mhz - this would make the new 8800GTS 512mb faster than the 8800Ultra.

I just hope it doesn't end up costing as much as the Ultra,the GT seemed like a good deal before the price gouging started.:(

Uh... what? The core clock is the same but it has 12.5% more stream processors - how would it *not* be faster than the 8800GT? For comparison the 8800 Ultra has 128 stream processors and a core of 612mhz - this would make the new 8800GTS 512mb faster than the 8800Ultra.

Yes, but does this new 8800GTS possess the same 384bit memory bus as the 8800Ultra?

Mmmm, probably not....

Specifications listed in the leaked slide include a 650MHz core clock speed, 970MHz memory clock, and 512MB of GDDR3 memory, while Mobile01 also mentions 128 stream processors, a 1625MHz SP clock, a 256-bit memory interface, and a price tag in the $299-349 range.

source

If it follows the same performance boost as the GT,it will probably end up somewhere between the old GTX and Ultra.It may come close to the Ultra at lower resolutions but fall behind at higher settings.

lol.gif
Grey Cooler. :cool:

Can somebody tell me honestly why we should give a rip about any variant of the 8800 series video cards that's being released. The 8800GT is probably the only one to get excited about due to price vs. performance, but they all offer sucktastic performance in DX10 apps. Show me a video card that can offer the level of performance the 8800's offer in DX9, and do the same in DX10 for under $400 and I'd be impressed.

I like the cooler.

But why make this card? It doesn't seem like it would be much faster than a 8800GT running at 650Mhz (which it seems like basically all of them can handle just fine) and when you can already get a GT factory clocked at 700Mhz, might even be SLOWER?

If they're going to release a new card that's supposed to be "higher" model than the GT then make it more than a paltry 15% faster!?! WTF? (guessing there)

Here's what would make sense:

700 - 750Mhz core (two slot cooler, new lower power process chip), 512 bit memory interface, adding the HD video decoding, and maybe some optimizations to make it a little faster on a per Mhz basis, THAT would be a new GTS that those of us who haven't already gotten the GT would buy for $300...

Comon Nvidia, give us 30% faster performance than the GT, otherwise, just get the GT when supply catches up with demand and the price goes back under $250...:rolleyes:

I guess i will keep the GTS I have laying around, I can still use it to step up and since i paid a pretty penny i should be able to get that baby for the cost of shipping. LOL.

Sell my two GT oc cards and bang gts sli. I hope the release it soon

Can somebody tell me honestly why we should give a rip about any variant of the 8800 series video cards that's being released. The 8800GT is probably the only one to get excited about due to price vs. performance, but they all offer sucktastic performance in DX10 apps. Show me a video card that can offer the level of performance the 8800's offer in DX9, and do the same in DX10 for under $400 and I'd be impressed.

I can get excited since i can replace a Older GTS for this one and either keep it or sell it for a hell of alot more than what people have been offering me.

by my count there are now 4 different versions of the 8800gts. this is not including the various factory oc'ed versions which would easily take this number into the double digits.

we have the:

8800gts 640mb with 96 shader processors
8800gts 320mb with 96 shader processors
8800gts 640mb with 112 shader processors
8800gts 512mb with 128 shader processors

please someone tell me if i've missed any.

nvidia, please, it's really not that difficult to come up with different numbers. put an end to this nonsensical naming scheme.

This is all AMD/ATI's fault. They cannot even come close to the NV high end so NV is gonna milk the 8 series until the teets fall off.:eek:

I have a sneaking suscpicion that they have a 9800GTX somewhere in development, but are in no hurry to release it to the market for.... marketing reasons.

I like the cooler.

But why make this card? It doesn't seem like it would be much faster than a 8800GT running at 650Mhz (which it seems like basically all of them can handle just fine) and when you can already get a GT factory clocked at 700Mhz, might even be SLOWER?

If they're going to release a new card that's supposed to be "higher" model than the GT then make it more than a paltry 15% faster!?! WTF? (guessing there)
QUOTE]

Because...

This is all AMD/ATI's fault. They cannot even come close to the NV high end so NV is gonna milk the 8 series until the teets fall off.:eek:

I have a sneaking suscpicion that they have a 9800GTX somewhere in development, but are in no hurry to release it to the market for.... marketing reasons.

While I would not place "blame" on AMD/ATi, its not like they sat in a boardroom and Said "Hey guys, lets get our asses kicked!," this is what happens when there is no competition. Nvidia is in no hurry to release the 9xxx series because the 8xxx series is still in the lead. This is why I was disapointed with the Phenom launch, it is only a matter of time before Intel starts doing this crap.

Lets hope then its Vista drivers don't suck, and it doen't take 6 months from its release to get half decent drivers. (8800 user on Vista)

Why?? The GT has already proven itself to be above the GTS. And it's cheaper. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like another dual slot design. A beast that will underperform.

We need a new flagship already! I'm about to go fanboy ATI again and get a 3870! :D My 7800GTX isn't really cutting it anymore... :(

Why?? The GT has already proven itself to be above the GTS. And it's cheaper. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like another dual slot design. A beast that will underperform.

We need a new flagship already! I'm about to go fanboy ATI again and get a 3870! :D My 7800GTX isn't really cutting it anymore... :(

That doesn't make a bit of sense. The new GTS will have more Shader processors (128 v. 112), a higher STOCK clock speed (650mhz v. 600mhz), and a higher memory speed. Just wait until EVGA's "Superclock". Sure it won't be worth the money if you already have an 8800 card, but it WILL beat the GT in performance.

See that's just a clueless statement. DX10 games aren't slower because of hardware. They are primarily slower because of how they are coded, and the workload they're doing.

Most of the developers throw in all these extra effects that MS pays them to, so you can't even do an apples to apples comparison in many applications. Basically some marketing hacks at MS said "hey DX10 has the potential to be SLIGHTLY more efficient and therefore SLIGHTLY faster than dx9 in an apples to apples scenario... LETS ADD IN TONS OF EFFECTS AND SAY DX10 MAKES IT POSSIBLE!" (while slowing the performance down way more than they sped it up by switching to dx10 in the first place).

Did you ever stop to wonder why some apps have the same performance DX9 to DX10, while other apps do not? Did you stop to think about why when DX10 is slower than DX9 in a given game, ATI and NVIDIA are both slower? Stop faulting the hardware if you don't have a clue.

That doesn't make a bit of sense. The new GTS will have more Shader processors (128 v. 112), a higher STOCK clock speed (650mhz v. 600mhz), and a higher memory speed. Just wait until EVGA's "Superclock". Sure it won't be worth the money if you already have an 8800 card, but it WILL beat the GT in performance.

Not to mention that it will have better cooling.The single slot design on the GT just doesn't cut it,heat and noise seems to be an issue.

I hope one GTS beets 2xatiHD3870crosfired and is cheap. I hope the 8800GTS will be the best nvidia when it comes, better than ultra :rolleyes:. A 1GB would be fine for cheap money.

Back