New Gateway trouble, or nightmare, please help

TimothyB

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, it was one of those things where you had one problem, you try to fix it, and bang, another problem until you give up and do a system restore. This is for my roommates new Gateway.

The only problem was this Media Center computer using a Hauppauge TV PVR PCI card that came with it. After doing the simple MC setup it had all the channels grainy and messed up with only noise for audio. I mean, who sells a computer without a working TV configuration. Is this an issue with Hauppauge, or an issue with Media Center?

My troubleshooting so far, and how things go from bad to worse:

I tested DScaler, and except for a few odd channels that were messed up, 98% of the channels worked, real clear and good audio, yet the same channel in Media Center looked horrible, talking wavy lines, half the color gone, grain, and no audio except noise.

I tried dling drivers from Hauppauge, didn't seem to do anything besides install, the drive on the tv card stayed the same.

So I though, what the heck, update the video drivers while I'm at it. The computer uses an intergrated geforce 6100. (full specs below). So I got to nvidia, it was using some forceware 81 something. The latest was 91 something. I install and restart.

Then it happened. It was still at the 1440*900 resolution for the 19inch Gateway widescreen, but at 8bit. I try to make it 32bit and it chooses a lower resolution, as I drag the resolution up it goes to 16bit and stops at too low of a resolution.

I then look and notice the monitor is now as plug-n-play, while before the new drivers it had the correct model number. I try everything, auto online update, searching, picking form a list and couldn't find the dang driver. The only cds that came with the computer were a recovery disc, and the monitor came with some EzTune crap that has no driver on it. I go to Gateways website and I find the info on the monitor and it doesn't give a link to the driver, all it gives me under installing driver is instructions on how to install EzTune. No way to get the freaking driver from them.

After all that I give up and check for a restore point before all this. I select a point from the day before. It restores, took a few minutes, it restarts, but then would practically get stuck on startup, it would show the background, but mouse wouldn't move. Only thing I could do is hit ctr-alt-delete and try to restart, which it sat at saving user settings forever.

So now it's restoring the computer with the recovery partition.

System Gateway GM5084:
Athlon 64 X2 Processor 4200+
2.2 GHz
Bus Speed: 2.0 GHz
L2 Cache Size: 2 x 512 KB
Memory Speed: PC-3200 (400MHz)
Installed Memory: 2 GB
Hard Drive Capacity: 320 GB
Shared Video RAM (Max): 128 MB
Intergrated GeForce 6100 (but avail 16x PCI-E)
DVD Burner
Hauppage TV PCI PVR (Uses ATI Theater 550 Pro I think)

Back