• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Gaming Display for FPS.

lundrog

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 28, 2001
Messages
1,240
Hey,


My system is as follows:

Q9550
8GB ram
Six 128GB SSD in Raid 0
GTX 680 Classified, GTX 285 Physics.

I'm using a Viewsonic Professional 22" CRT today. and I am looking for a replacement 24" -27" monitor. I play BF3, MW3, Skyrim, etc. Remember, i'm used to a CRT...

I would like to spend around $300, as that is my pre xmiss budget. I could go a bit higher, but I need justification.

Will I be happy with 1920 by 1080 or should I get something with a higher res?

60 or 120 hz?

Thanks
 
A GTX680 is wasted on 1920x1080. You'll want to seriously consider 2560x1440. Also, you want to consider upgrading your CPU first? Having a Q9550 with that graphics setup feels a little lopsided?
 
A GTX680 is wasted on 1920x1080. You'll want to seriously consider 2560x1440. Also, you want to consider upgrading your CPU first? Having a Q9550 with that graphics setup feels a little lopsided?

Disagree. A single 680 will fail to provide >90 FPS at 1440p in modern games, and that would be the minimum to really take advantage of a 120Hz display.

I'd recommend 1080p if you want to drive 120+FPS with a single 680.

I agree that your CPU is outdated, OP. You need at least a 920 @3.8 to pair with a 680.
 
Couldnt disagree more that a 680 is wasted on 1080p. I currently have a single 680 (and an i7 920 @ 4.0ghz) and struggle to maintain 60+ FPS @ 120hz on modern games with the settings cranked. I never see over 100fps unless I'm playing something like minecraft.
 
Go 120Hz if you can. It feels a lot smoother when you can maintain high frame-rates and actually see the difference on screen.

I'm using the ASUS VG236H, which you can get within your budget. Plus, if you want to try 3D down the road, all you need to do is buy the glasses (around $100) and the 3D looks sick!
 
Disagree. A single 680 will fail to provide >90 FPS at 1440p in modern games, and that would be the minimum to really take advantage of a 120Hz display.

I'd recommend 1080p if you want to drive 120+FPS with a single 680.

I agree that your CPU is outdated, OP. You need at least a 920 @3.8 to pair with a 680.

To the point that I should upgrade my CPU first?

Was looking at a 2500k or 2600k

Roger
 
Of note , been hard finding a motherboard with raid support for six drives In a single set, while keeping CPU , ram, board within 300-400 range.
 
To the point that I should upgrade my CPU first?

Was looking at a 2500k or 2600k

Roger

Yes, I'd definitely suggest a CPU upgrade first. Nobody really knows what kind of jump Haswell is going to be, though. In the meantime, a 2500k/motherboard can be had pretty cheaply and will do a lot more for your system at 1080p than a second 680.

Now if you're thinking of going surround, or upgrading to a higher resolution, the recommendation might be different.
 
Yeah whoever said a single 680 is wasted on 1080p obviously hasn't played games like Far Cry 3, Batman AC, or a plethora of other games that bring it to it's knee's in DX11 with all eye candy up.

That or your FPS standards are low..

Most PC games are poorly optimized, and struggle to keep a constant 60fps a second, let's not even talk of microstutter.

I want a gtx990 w/16gb ram..whatever that will be..
 
how about a used fw900 24 inch CRT? :)

I used that, now i am going to use an overlord tempest oc alongside with it..

Overlord (and yamakasi catleap) are both 27 inch glossy 2560x1440 IPS panels that can be overclocked to 120hz.

Or consider the lightstrobe 2 monitors.. There is thread ongoing in this forum.

You can get zero blur motion effect with this strobing, apparantly.. Supposed to do wonders in FPS.
 
Back
Top