New gaming build need advice

pwrusr

2[H]4U
I currently have a i7 4930k on a x79 Sabertooth with 32GB of ram.
I'm about to upgrade to a 1080ti :D

I primarily use the system to game at 1440 with plans to move to ultra wide and have been wondering how much of a performance boost I'll be getting if I upgrade to etheir a i7 7700k or maybe Ryzen 1700x/1800x?

Or is a core (cpu, ram & mobo) upgrade still too soon from the x79?

*EDIT*
Also, To throw a little bit of a interesting hardware in the mix...
I just picked up a Asus x99 Strix, i7 6850k & 32GB of ram all for $700 a couple days ago at the local microcenter. That's what truly sparked me to start this thread up since I was thinking "Hey wait a minute, is this the best that I can get for gaming???". a 7700k would be right there with this system price wise, but I think performance wise it would pull ahead from reveiws that I've seen.

Still, question remains, is it worth it to unload the x79 and grab the intel i7 8***k when it drops in a couple weeks?

Last edited:
Soooo... I've done more web crawling and found that it looks like the i7 8700k is going to be the go to CPU :cool:

I think I'll be taking back the x99 to microcenter because it seems that from the leaks I've seen 8th gen is going to really rock.

Yeah I would definitely take that stuff back. X99 is a dead platform at this point. 8700k should be a solid upgrade from the 4930k.

Why did you pursue the i7-6850K setup instead of the GTX 1080 Ti?

Or did you plan on upgrading to the 1080 Ti after buying the setup?

I currently have a i7 4930k on a x79 Sabertooth with 32GB of ram.
I'm about to upgrade to a 1080ti :D

I primarily use the system to game at 1440 with plans to move to ultra wide and have been wondering how much of a performance boost I'll be getting if I upgrade to etheir a i7 7700k or maybe Ryzen 1700x/1800x?

Or is a core (cpu, ram & mobo) upgrade still too soon from the x79?

*EDIT*
Also, To through a little bit of a interesting hardware in the mix...
I just picked up a Asus x99 Strix, i7 6850k & 32GB of ram all for $700 a couple days ago at the local microcenter. That's what truly sparked me to start this thread up since I was thinking "Hey wait a minute, is this the best that I can get for gaming???". a 7700k would be right there with this system price wise, but I think performance wise it would pull ahead from reveiws that I've seen.

Still, question remains, is it worth it to unload the x79 and grab the intel i7 8***k when it drops in a couple weeks?
"through", look it up.

Why did you pursue the i7-6850K setup instead of the GTX 1080 Ti?

Or did you plan on upgrading to the 1080 Ti after buying the setup?
My 980ti had a failing fan. Two year warranty was about up sooo I went ahead and cashed in on that :)
I'll be honest with you, the itch to upgrade was a little too strong to resist a full build :D

For now my rig is aging much better then I thought it would. I think the best plan is to wait a month or two after the release of the 8 series and see how it works out.

"through", look it up.
That's why I get for relying on auto-correct and not paying attention to the words... Should be throw (fixed that for you :))

Back