New game server OS question.

moetop

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi, All

I did a couple of searches on Google and came up with nothing. I just bought a new Dual Xenon 3Ghz 2Mb cache, Dell server 1UDual 3 GHz , with the intention of running a gaming server on it. I have a couple of collocation places that should provide a good place but am open to suggestions. I am considering running Linux on the box as well. I could probably throw WinXP pro on it, but I want to make the best use of my resources. The Game I am going to be running is Battlefield 2.

Here are my questions.

What is the best distribution to run a gaming server on? Keep in mind the game Battlefield 2. I don’t need Xwindows and I do want to make the most out of the resources. Please give the merits and don’t flame each other... "Just the facts"

The collocation place I am looking at provides 1U worth of space, 2Mb bandwidth, unmetered, for $99 a month, and is local (southeast Michigan) I am a bit worried about the bandwidth, but I need to investigate further.

I have run game servers before (5 years ago), and I am going in on this with my brother who currently runs some of the most popular ET servers around, but any other recommendations are appreciated.

Any distro is fine really...just pick and chose what to install and use that.

Back