• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New G34 server not booting.

Spazturtle

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,525
Mobo: Supermicro H8QGI-F
CPU: 1x AMD Opteron 6274.

Pressed power button and fans spin the DP1 led comes on and blinks but the DP3 Led (power) does not, no video (through graphics card or inter grated) or bleeps, fans just keep spinning.
Connected are the 24 pin power cable and 1 x 8 pin power cable to the mobo.
I have tried with 0, 1, 3, 4 stickers of ram.

Any idears what is wrong? Could I need to connect 2 or the 8 pin power cables?

The psu worked in my previous machine, it is 750w.
 
When I get that to happen, I do the following:

- poweroff
- unplug the PSU
- clear the CMOS for 30 seconds
- wait 10 minutes
- clear the CMOS again for 30 seconds
- plug PSU back in
- poweron

Is the JPG1 jumper set correctly?
 
Old BIOS perhaps? (that doesn't support 6200 series)
What does the BIOS sticker say? Did you buy the board new? If not, did previous owner upgrade the BIOS? (EDIT: and what chips did he use it with?)
 
Last edited:
How long did you wait? These take awhile to show activity.
 
JPG1 jumper is set to enabled.

BIOS sticker says
AMIBIOS
585 © 1985-95
MEGATRENDS
JE96841

next sticker says

MegaRAC
MegaRAC SP
©2008
AMERICAN
MEGATRENDS
SD18664

I left it for over half a hour and still nothing.

The board was sold as new, and it said it supported 6200 CPUs.
 
JPG1 jumper is set to enabled.

BIOS sticker says
AMIBIOS
585 © 1985-95
MEGATRENDS
JE96841

next sticker says

MegaRAC
MegaRAC SP
©2008
AMERICAN
MEGATRENDS
SD18664

I left it for over half a hour and still nothing.

The board was sold as new, and it said it supported 6200 CPUs.

I was referring to sticker on the flash chip itself. It's a small chip
that should have a white sticker with black text on it.

There should be two lines: one with board model (e.g. H8QGi)
and a line below with BIOS date tag. We need that tag....
 
A11 is a 1.0c IIRC which doesn't support 6200s.
If the seller didn't upgrade the BIOS then it won't fly...
 
Ah I see, well at least nothing is broken, I guess that I need a 6100 chip to upgrade the bios aren't I?

Thank for sorting it out so fast.
 
It doesn't seem it is.

Yes, you'd need a 6100 chip to upgrade.
 
Funny I was having difficulty booting 62xx on the same board yesterday. Thanks I now know there are boards that only work with 61xx
 
The board itself works with 62xx (and even 63xx) chips, but it need a bios update. That is pretty shakey marketing - if you buy the board and a 62xx chip, it won't work, yet the board "supports 62xx chips"...sad really
 
The board itself works with 62xx (and even 63xx) chips, but it need a bios update. That is pretty shakey marketing - if you buy the board and a 62xx chip, it won't work, yet the board "supports 62xx chips"...sad really

God bless eBay.
 
Well, Bios in the board was 2.0a .. I also updated to version 3.0 still no booting 62xx .. It boots and run fine with 61xx ..
 
Well I'm hoping the issue in my board is a BIOS version one, would be easier to fix then a faulty board or CPU.


@overdoze, what bios version does you bios chip say?
 
Last edited:
@overdoze, what bios version does you bios chip say?
Mine is exactly like yours and also bought from ebay ... No matter what I try it won't boot 62xx cpus. Since I have 61xx cpu here with me so I can flash to any bios I need. I still wonder why that is the case. My 62xx cpu does boot in a different motherboard.
 
Mine is exactly like yours and also bought from ebay ... No matter what I try it won't boot 62xx cpus. Since I have 61xx cpu here with me so I can flash to any bios I need. I still wonder why that is the case. My 62xx cpu does boot in a different motherboard.


Easy fix.... Use 61xx on that mobo and 62xx on the another ... :D
 
yup that's what I'm doing for now.
I also have other issue: one channel ram recognized but not use by bios when boot up, it said request for interleaving but not use and it reported only 30G available instead of 32G. Could it be dirty cpu pins or I just have a bad ram slot. I know the ram stick is good.
 
yup that's what I'm doing for now.
I also have other issue: one channel ram recognized but not use by bios when boot up, it said request for interleaving but not use
That means you're using at least one single-rank DIMM in your system (single rank == can't
bank-interleave). This is purely informational message and doesn't imply degraded
performance.

and it reported only 30G available instead of 32G. Could it be dirty cpu pins or I just have a bad ram slot. I know the ram stick is good.
Separate issue. It's either dead DCT in the CPU or bad socket/slot.

Use TurionPowerControl -dram to narrow the DIMM slot down.

To exclude/confirm dead DCT you'll probably need to put a known-good CPU into the suspected socket...

EDIT: sorry, of course, dirty pads are also a possibility -- check/clean them first :)
 
Last edited:
Ok this is tpc when there is no ram stick there:
Code:
Node 3 ---
DCT0: - controller unactive -

DCT1: memory type: DDR3 frequency: 1066 MHz
Tcl=6 Trcd=6 Trp=6 Tras=19 Access Mode:1T Trtp=5 Trc=27 Twr=10 Trrd=4 Tcwl=7 Tfaw=32
TrwtWB=5 TrwtTO=4 Twtr=5 Twrrd=3 Twrwr=4 Trdrd=3 Tref=2 Trfc0=2 Trfc1=0 Trfc2=0 Trfc3=0 MaxRdLatency=52
LDIMM0=OK/OK LDIMM1=EMPTY/EMPTY LDIMM2=EMPTY/EMPTY LDIMM3=EMPTY/EMPTY

~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:      30879744   22580540    8299204          0     117892   18958048
-/+ buffers/cache:    3504600   27375144
Swap:            0          0          0
Now after I put the ram stick the slot. The boot up process pause. It said
No DQS Receiver Enable Pass window found
Press F1 to Resume
After press F1 it boots normally. Running the same command I get
Code:
Node 3 ---
DCT0: memory type: DDR3 frequency: 1066 MHz
Tcl=6 Trcd=6 Trp=6 Tras=19 Access Mode:1T Trtp=5 Trc=27 Twr=10 Trrd=4 Tcwl=7 Tfaw=32
TrwtWB=4 TrwtTO=3 Twtr=5 Twrrd=4 Twrwr=4 Trdrd=3 Tref=2 Trfc0=2 Trfc1=0 Trfc2=0 Trfc3=0 MaxRdLatency=62
LDIMM0=FAILED/FAILED LDIMM1=EMPTY/EMPTY LDIMM2=EMPTY/EMPTY LDIMM3=EMPTY/EMPTY

DCT1: memory type: DDR3 frequency: 1066 MHz
Tcl=6 Trcd=6 Trp=6 Tras=19 Access Mode:1T Trtp=5 Trc=27 Twr=10 Trrd=4 Tcwl=7 Tfaw=32
TrwtWB=5 TrwtTO=4 Twtr=5 Twrrd=3 Twrwr=4 Trdrd=3 Tref=2 Trfc0=2 Trfc1=0 Trfc2=0 Trfc3=0 MaxRdLatency=52
LDIMM0=OK/OK LDIMM1=EMPTY/EMPTY LDIMM2=EMPTY/EMPTY LDIMM3=EMPTY/EMPTY

~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:      30879744    3161148   27718596          0      14860     712536
-/+ buffers/cache:    2433752   28445992
Swap:            0          0          0
 
Yup. That's consistent so far.

Clean pads of CPU2 and make sure there are no foreign bodies in CPU socket or DIMM slot.

If that doesn't help then something's broken -- per above: either CPU itself ("bad" DCT) or the board (most likely CPU socket or DIMM slot).
 
Thanks tear you're right. Upon close inspection inside cpu socket. One pin were broke in half. The other were bent. I only fixed the bend one and now all dimms are recognized and function correctly.
 
So you had one destroyed pin and a bent one, you fixed the bent one and now the RAM works fine? So you still have the one damaged pin? Does the 6200 work in the mobo now?
 
right still have 1 half length pin dangling in cpu2 socket :D 6200 never boot on cpu1 socket which is perfect. Even with ver 3.0, only spinning fan, no graphic led is on.
 
Last edited:
Supermicro will fix the socket pins for $35. Personally I would do it. With damaged socket pins, you are just asking for a nightmare in trouble shooting.
 
Yeah getting a new socket put in may be a good idea, for all you know that pin could regulate a voltage and the board may damage your CPU.
 
I am thinking returning the mobo. It is too much trouble for having it so far
 
Back
Top