New full loop - temp questions

sethiano

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I just finished my full loop.

4790k OCed to 4.8 @ 1.28 (although some programs are showing 1.296) under load.

dual 45mm 240 rads
monsoon s2 res
swiftech mcp665 pwm pump
980ti /w titan x ek block (full cover)

cpu temps idle @ 29-30
gpu idles @ 30ish

under aida64 cpu load temps @ ~65

everything looks good, but the weird thing is in battlefield 4 my gpu raises to like 42ish and my cpu runs at like 70c (which seems high) all cores about the same.

any thoughts? is this normal? cpu % in bf is only like 65%. the only thing i can think of is my GPU is heating up my CPU since they are right nex to each other in the loop

Here is what the loop looks like. Any thoughts? all fans running at about 1100RPM which pull config on rads and 2 intake fans (rads exhausting) pump running @ 2000rpm

20150722_235113_zpshlayi2vs.jpg

With the overclock, that's not that unusual.

GPU temps and idle temps seem to indicate your cooling loop is working pretty well. That CPU with that overclock is just generating a lot of heat.

If you are really worried about it, you may need to look at the water block install - you may be able to get the temp down just by checking the heatsink compound, or upgrading to a more efficient block.

Another thing you can try is make sure the pump direction is oriented so the water goes over the CPU block before the GPU - that will raise your GPU temps some, but that looks to have a bigger margin. It's not clear in your photo which way the loop is running.

Last edited:
This is my first full loop. I just thought people normally got lower temps. I know the 4790ks run hot. If it's normal, that's fine. Just wasn't sure what to expect. I've only messed with AIOs before.

If things look normal though I am okay with that.

just a heads up, just for the fuck of it i messed with fan speeds and at max fan speed the temps dropped like 10-15c. not planning on running it like this but i think everything is working. was basically running silent mode fans. will play with everything to ultra dial.

thanks!

now that im looking too, i think some of my temp reporting stuff is showing the wrong temps. AI Suite is showing only 51c in BF which makes more sense. i disabled all other monitors. thanks for the help!

Your overall temp should be around 40 to 45 C in that loop.
thats under load.
You could also consider a push-pull on that front radiator .

@magoo that's similar to the temps I thought I should be getting. The only other thing I can think of, is that when EK sent me the CPU block they only sent me 3 .7mm washers to go between the mobo and the cpu mounting screw posts. We didn't have any extra, but my friend had ones that were a fraction shorter. Do you think that would have a big effect? I wouldn't think so, but that's the only other thing I can think of. The front rad isn't perfectly straight and lined up with the front fans at the very bottom because of the front stop plugs being in the way, but I Have taped the sides as to not lose the pressure, so I don't think that is the deal.

Thoughts?

Last night after playing BF4 for hours, I was at ~52ish GPU ~64ish CPU.

Seems high. (tha'ts with ~60% fan speed which is around 1500RPM)

Have you tried maxing out your pump rates? That may be having an effect. Do you notice any difference in temp with the side panels on or off?

yes. maxed out pump, no to side panel, and i definitely feel heat being dissipated out of case when things heat up so fans appear to be doing their job.

just in case i am missing something. here is a aida64 (left is just cpu, right is CPU+GPU)

oc_zpsewsfkf4y.png

so i just dumped some blitz 2 in there and after 30 minutes the temps are down to 61c MAX on AIDA64. something was gunking it up. I blitz 1ed my rads, but i guess something was in the cpu\gpu block.... will post final results after its flushed

Last edited:
also i have the arc mini r2, which lets you mount 2 2.5 drives behind the mobo (on the back side of the case) right where the CPU sits. I wonder if that is adding to any of the heat. they only get to like 30 something c but who knows. hopefully blitz 1 works

I don't quite get you comment about the CPU block washers, but you might consider re-mounting the CPU block and re-TIM.

There may be some air bubbles or poor spread of the TIM causing the elevated temps.

To give you an example....I have a 4790K in my son's computer. It's clocked at 4.4 GHz and 1,25V on the VCore.
I have a 30 dollar ArcticCooling air cooler on the CPU and his temps at AIDA64 full load are 50C.:cool:

full flush with blitz 1, rinse with mains water for 30 minutes, flush with DI, then fill with DI + mayhems uv x1 blue. cleaned out CPU block with alcohol + tooth brush, rinsed with DI, applied TIM in a different way, same temps. AIDA64 CPU stress @ 60c. Maybe 1-3 degrees cooler. I guess it just is what is.....i have no clue....nothing is wrong, tripple checked everything, even played around with all the mobo options to try to get lower temps.

out of ideas. oh well =/

So, your water flows through the GPU block then directly into the CPU block? I would have it go through a radiator between the two.

yeah, i thought the same thing, that the GPU was heating up the cpu, but i heard overall that doesnt affect the temps THAT much, plus when my GPU is idle the cpu temps are still high under load, for things like AIDA. I a mean im sure it would help a little, but I feel I should be getting like 45-50c under load....sort of frustrating.

With a high enough flow rate, the water temperature is kept basically the same throughout the loop.

Do you know what your ambient temps are?

Yes quite true....the path doesnt much matter.
ince the system reaches an equilibrium thats where it stays.
I have a similar set up with Crossfired 290X and a 4770k.
I have three XSPC thin 2x120 radiators and Heatkiller blocks. All my rads are push-pull and the load temp for the loop is 42C.

22c ambient temps.

I bought the stuff to delid my proc =) if that doesn't help, then I am out of ideas.

Sethiano intel uses a pos tim inside the cpu thats why you are getting high temps and another reason is that intel has the vrm's on that cpu to improve power delivery etc. But it made the chip even hotter. If you plan on keepin that cpu then deliding will yield lower temps, Skylake doesn't have this problem the vrm's are back on the mobo thats why we never got a z97 maximus extreme but for skylake we may have it.

well, i messed with my oc a little and wen back to off set from adaptive. i was able to drop about .07 volts and while my aida64 load temps are still about 60, my BF temps dropped from 67 to about 57 (i dont know why bf makes so much heat, when the cpu is only running at like 60% so, that's a start. got all my stuff to delid, which should be here monday. will keep you guys posted.

thanks for all the help

I know some people say that radiator setup between GPU and CPU doesn't matter but I had the same set up (Loop route) you did and I decided to put one of my radiator between my CPU and GPU and the temps for my GPU dropped 5-6 degrees but didn't make a difference for CPU.

Fan speed also made a couple degree difference for me with GPU as well.

I know some people say that radiator setup between GPU and CPU doesn't matter but I had the same set up (Loop route) you did and I decided to put one of my radiator between my CPU and GPU and the temps for my GPU dropped 5-6 degrees but didn't make a difference for CPU.

It won't make a difference to do that.
The whole loop reaches equilibrium after running a few minutes, unless the work load changes.
Fan speed might influence it, but not radiator position; the exception being the fluid just exiting the rad. It may be a little cooler, for an instant.:D

after sucessful delid and CLU applied, I now sit @ 29idle 48load under AIDA64.

Thanks for all who helps!

If you experienced something like that, that means your pump wasn't strong enough for your loop.

after sucessful delid and CLU applied, I now sit @ 29idle 48load under AIDA64.

Thanks for all who helps!

Great that it worked out for you.

on an off note, seem to get 5ghz stable @ 1.308v /w +.115 offset =) and got the 980ti to 1500core 7800ram

You might want to try dropping your memory clocks. Not sure how much impact it will have on gaming but you could try and see, it will have a significant impact on your temps.

didn't give it enough testing hehe. cpu seems stable @ 5ghz 1.334v adaptive, aida64 temps @ load ~54c thanks for all the help.

scratch that hehe, back to 4.7 @ 1.205

Last edited:
so after much playing apparently 4.7 is the highest i can get on + off set @ 1.209v and my load temps are low to mid 40s in AIDA just like magoo said. cpu heats up to about 60 when playing bf4, my guess is because gpu heats up 20c to about 50 from 30ish at idle.

over all, i am happy. would i buy another full loop? the only way i would answer yes, would be if its an ncase, with the mini outside res. buddy has that set up and its way more convenient. i mean really, its not that big of a deal to maintain, but for only a 300mhz OC @ safe voltages, i would rather just get a quiet pump AIO. Maybe if you were guarenteed to get a winner in the silicon lottery and could OC to 5ghz+ and actually utilize the benefits of a full loop, i could see doing it then.

overall its been a fun project, and i completed what i set out to do, and that's try a full loop and get the experience.

thanks for all who helped.

damn she looks sexy though. i forgot i never showed finished pics.

this is dedicated to all who helped:

20150808_220347_zpsk4eceitn.jpg

20150808_220255_zpstx0jqffk.jpg

20150808_124332_zpsqdtlj19z.jpg

20150731_155719_zpsfaedgha2.jpg

20150730_215130_zpsy0dqz7rr.jpg

20150730_215111_zpsxmtkufo3.jpg

dat rgb /w uv tho

so after much playing apparently 4.7 is the highest i can get on + off set @ 1.209v and my load temps are low to mid 40s in AIDA just like magoo said. cpu heats up to about 60 when playing bf4, my guess is because gpu heats up 20c to about 50 from 30ish at idle.

over all, i am happy. would i buy another full loop? the only way i would answer yes, would be if its an ncase, with the mini outside res. buddy has that set up and its way more convenient. i mean really, its not that big of a deal to maintain, but for only a 300mhz OC @ safe voltages, i would rather just get a quiet pump AIO. Maybe if you were guarenteed to get a winner in the silicon lottery and could OC to 5ghz+ and actually utilize the benefits of a full loop, i could see doing it then.

overall its been a fun project, and i completed what i set out to do, and that's try a full loop and get the experience.

thanks for all who helped.

damn she looks sexy though. i forgot i never showed finished pics.

this is dedicated to all who helped:

dat rgb /w uv tho

IF you want big OC's, then you can't be afraid to feed the chip the voltage it needs man...You are trying to get 5ghz stable on 1.33V? Never going to happen unless you hit the lottery...

My 3770K does 5Ghz @ 1.41V under a 24 hour load with Haven loading my 290s so the entire system is stressed to the max..I have run this setup loaded 24/7 (folding on everything when I am not gaming) for ~3 years (cpu) and nearly 2 years on the GPU setup....

I know some people cry about using high voltage, but unless you plan on keeping that CPU for 6 years or more, you will never have an issue if you keep it cool..You have tons of thermal headroom, so USE IT...As you said, using a custom loop to gain ~300Mhz is sorta meh, but that's me..I would take it up to 1.45V and go for 5Ghz..

The actual rig looks great...The only thing I would have changed is the use of such large tubing..I think we all have make that mistake when we did our first loop, but 3/4" is just too large and bulky..I run 5/8" OD Primoflex advanced LRT and it is awesome for bends etc..

Make sure you service the loop properly...I clean my rads with an air compressor about once a month (dusty house sucks, pardon the pun) and break the loop down once a year to clean it..I actually just pulled my sig rig off online to replace the MCP 655 in it..After 6 years it seems to be dying on me, and I don't want to risk a sudden failure so its time for the new in box spare to drop it (best idea ever if you get some extra cash)..

My fans started grinding at low voltage so i replaced them with Darkside GTs. Now cpu and gpu is at like 39c running BF4 and like 46 with AIDA64. guess those enermax's were part of the problem. weird too cuz they were pushing a lot of air. weird...

It's possible you were feeling high speed wind at the edges without much actual air movement towards the middle of the fan.

Hey bro, I just figured I'd add my BF4 gaming results. Intel 5960x over clocked to 4.0 and 2 x Titan X's with the evga "power and temp slider" maxed out (no manual over clock entered):

CPU 60
GPU Top 52
GPU Bottom 50

3 x radiators. 360mm up top, 420mm in front, and 120mm in top rear. All fans set to silent profile (800 rpm)

(this was after first fill/prime of system, all the little bubbles inside the reservoir are gone now)

Last edited:
Back