New Fujitsu MAX 15k SCSI series.

:confused:

They keep comparing it to MAP...and say they've doubled data density over it. That means it has two 73GB platters in a 15K drive :eek: That can't be right - has Fujitsu pulled off the impossible?

The 147 MB/sec transfer figure is also absolutely jaw dropping :eek: but it does corrobate that they are using two 73GB platters in a 15K drive. If this is true, and Fujitsu can hold the line on everything else, this drive is going to be an absolute monster.

I love the way they mention the 68-pin connector, then have an image of an 80-pin drive :)
73GB per platter, yet they show 4 platters. Hehehe!

(Yeah, I know, it's just a default image. This drive looks impressive, though.)

Edit: PS - I wish I hadn't sold my SCSI stuff now. The "fastest ev4r" bug is catching up to me again!!!

I just love the idea of something that fast....Hell it's so new google didn't even have reference to it when I tried a search, it just asked me if the MAP3147 was what I was looking for.

mmm...even available in SAS already...so sweet....

DougLite said:
The 147 Mb/sec transfer figure is also absolutely jaw dropping - that's 117MB/sec :eek:
:confused: What does 147 MB/s have to do with 117 MB/s? It's about a 5:4 ratio, so I guess if it's 8/10 coding that would explain it, but I hadn't realized that there was such a system used on the physical media.

I just hope the ad campaign won't involve "Take your SCSI experience to the MAX" or other cheesy puns.

Meanwhile, Fujitsu marketing department drone reads this post and thinks "Hey, that's not a bad idea..." :rolleyes:

Crap, mage is right, I sued the wrong formula... but they can't get 147MB/sec disk to buffer transfers? Can they? I suppose it's possible, as doublign the density while holding the line on spindle speed, but this drive will be an engineering marvel if Fujitsu can bring it to market. I hope it's reliable and not too expensive (by SCSI standards)

You guys are forgetting the most important part of this post: the drive is named after me.

Geez, this drive appears to be a beast! Can't wait to get my hands on 1 or 10... :D

Ember, I realize you may not be allowed to talk about it, and if so, please don't get yourself in trouble, but does Maxtor have anything in the 'coming soon' category to combat this beast? Atlas 15K II may be in trouble.

So Order, when do you expect to be in retail, and how much will you cost?

DL, don't worry about the math; I've done way worse... ;) and /agree, what's Maxtor up to?

I'm currently available and I'd imagine I'd be competitively priced. However, if my own persona and physicality is similar to the HD, it will start off really fast but in about 80 seconds it will be done and won't be able to function again for like 20 minutes.

Admittedly good for a laugh, but let's try to stay on-topic guys. - DL

DougLite said:
Ember, I realize you may not be allowed to talk about it, and if so, please don't get yourself in trouble, but does Maxtor have anything in the 'coming soon' category to combat this beast? Atlas 15K II may be in trouble.

You're right. My lips are sealed... :(

I'll let you all know when I can though. I'm also much more privy to P/SATA information than I am to SCSI/SAS information. Most of that enterprise development is at a different site, while we handle most of the desktop and nearline products.

Obviously the 15kII matches the capicity point of this drive, but those performance numbers that Fujitsu is claiming are unreal. It sure seems like they are using 73GB platters, but I would be very curious as to how they managed to get that working so quickly on a 15k platform. Doubling capacity per platter isn't easy on any platform, much less at 15k rpms.

Look at the 7200rpm ATA world for example. Platters these days are 125/133GB. It has been a LONG time since we've seen new drives with 60GB platters, which makes me skeptical that Fujitsu actually has a 2 platter design in that drive. If they don't, however, I would be very interested as to how they managed to increase performance but such a large percentage... Perpendicular recording, anyone? That could theoretically account for both anomolies (2 platters and performance).

WTF, I haven't even installed my MAU and there's already a faster drive out :mad:

We don't know if it's faster. This drive may fall way short on seek performance because of the higher density requiring additional servo precision to hold the line on seek performance. Fujitsu may not be able to engineer that additional precisions, which will increase seek times and reduce performance. It has happened before.

EnderW said:
WTF, I haven't even installed my MAU and there's already a faster drive out :mad:
Looks like I'm not getting two MAU's around christmas then! Woo!

I would like to point out that there has been a misunderstanding regarding this particular drive. The new MAX drives have the same technical specs as the MAU drives. The doubling of the recording density is not a doubling of MAU drives, rather a doubling of the previous generation of 15k SCSI. The MAX drives seem to differ in only one respect: RoHS compliance. Feel free to check out this pdf from Fujitsu which confirms this:

http://www.fel.fujitsu.com/support/disk/manuals/hdd_quick_guide_september_2005.pdf

this MAX fujisu compared to MAU fujitsu.....for you scsi guys how much difference of access time is there between the 2 drives.....
or rather how much faster is the MAX to the MAU

EagleOne said:
this MAX fujisu compared to MAU fujitsu.....for you scsi guys how much difference of access time is there between the 2 drives.....
or rather how much faster is the MAX to the MAU
bryanlober said:
I would like to point out that there has been a misunderstanding regarding this particular drive. The new MAX drives have the same technical specs as the MAU drives. The doubling of the recording density is not a doubling of MAU drives, rather a doubling of the previous generation of 15k SCSI. The MAX drives seem to differ in only one respect: RoHS compliance. Feel free to check out this pdf from Fujitsu which confirms this:

http://www.fel.fujitsu.com/support/disk/manuals/hdd_quick_guide_september_2005.pdf

Oh well, it was too good to be true anyway.
I still like this line, though...native SAS = happy me.

I'm bumping this to see if anyone has had experience with this drive series.

DougLite said:
Seagate announced a 300 GB 15.4 K series disk a while ago.

Seagate has updated its Cheetah 15K enterprise-oriented hard disk drive line-up with a model that incorporates perpendicular recording technology and takes the 15,000rpm drive family's capacity to 300GB - more than double the current top-of-the-line model's 147GB.

The Cheetah 15K.5 will ship to the channel later this quarter, Seagate said, in 73GB and 147GB versions in addition to the 300GB model. The drives will be offered with a choice of 3Gbps Serial-attached SCSI (SAS), Ultra320 SCSI or 4Gbps Fibre Channel interfaces. Server and storage system OEMs are getting product already.
source

bryanlober said:

RoHS is simply an environmental requirement so this announcement doesn't seem that giant.

Back