New Fractal Design ITX cases

There is/was Lucid Virtu, but I don't think that went anywhere. My Z77 board supposedly supports it but I never tried it. I need the direct GPU-monitor connection for 3D Lightboost. Same if I were to ever get a ___Sync monitor

Optimus was more a power saving technology that could turn off the discrete GPU and use the iGPU, from what I recall. Beneficial for laptops for obvious reasons.

Lucid Virtu was a bit different in the sense that it was up to you to decide if you wanted the discrete GPU or iGPU to be "virtualized", as that part would be getting a performance hit but could then essentially be powered off when not in use. The problem was that it was solely up to Lucid to continue to provide driver "profile" updates for new games as they came out, something they couldn't keep up with. Even the initial offerings didn't work in a plethora of the games out, resulting in horrid performance if the discrete GPU was set as the virtualized one.

Optimus was more a power saving technology that could turn off the discrete GPU and use the iGPU, from what I recall. Beneficial for laptops for obvious reasons.

Lucid Virtu was a bit different in the sense that it was up to you to decide if you wanted the discrete GPU or iGPU to be "virtualized", as that part would be getting a performance hit but could then essentially be powered off when not in use. The problem was that it was solely up to Lucid to continue to provide driver "profile" updates for new games as they came out, something they couldn't keep up with. Even the initial offerings didn't work in a plethora of the games out, resulting in horrid performance if the discrete GPU was set as the virtualized one.

What a shame, it sounds like interesting technology. But if that stuff is dependent on Drivers that may not be updated in the future, you'd better not have a case design rely on it.

If there was a way to tunnel the Shadowplay stream to the iGPU, that would be quite a neat thing already, but it would probably be quite unreliable.

The Core 500 seems like a great competitor for the Ncase M1. Better watercooling options. And cheaper most likely.

The Core 500 seems like a great competitor for the Ncase M1. Better watercooling options. And cheaper most likely.

Cheaper yes, but 12.6L vs 19.5L is not a trivial volume difference. I don't see what use a 280mm radiator would have over a 240mm in an ITX system.

You are correct in that it is a significantly larger case, but 280mm is a good deal more surface area than 240. On top of that, you can either:

a) Use a 60mm thick rad
b) Use push/pull with a 30 - 45mm rad.

This is based on the specs they provide that 100mm total is available (with the 5.25 drive cage removed).

This looks like a fantastic option for a small form factor build I'm speccing out, though the cpu cooler clearance is somewhat concerning. The only reputable cooler I've found that fits is the Noctua L9i, but that seems to be kind of old and I've heard reports of it not really performing better than the stock intel coolers. Although since I'm not going to be overclocking or anything that shouldn't even be a problem I guess.

Anyone know when this is coming out? Finals just ended and I'm itching to start gaming

Last edited:
Computex is usually a show of what's coming. I wouldn't expect to see it on the market until September/October. If you want a comprehensive list of relatively short coolers head over to the dondan a4 thread.

Cryorig C1 and Silverstone AR05/AR06 come to mind.

I was hoping they'd make a node PC that would hold more hard drives and fit on a TV stand. Bummer. May have to go back to Silverstone with my next HTPC

Computex is usually a show of what's coming. I wouldn't expect to see it on the market until September/October. If you want a comprehensive list of relatively short coolers head over to the dondan a4 thread.

Cryorig C1 and Silverstone AR05/AR06 come to mind.

Yeah, I checked those out, but unfortunately they're a bit tall with the node 202 only supporting up to 54mm I believe. That's really a bummer about the availability, there don't seem to be that many good options out right now.

Q: """"Hi there. I'm prepairing to build a MITX gaming case with your Node 202, but need to know two things . 1)When i'll be avaiable to shop in Europe and 2)Whats the maxium thick of the 2,5" units. Im thinking in a Toshiba's MQ03ABB300 but is 15mm thick and dont know if will fit in the Node 202

Thanks!"""

A: """"Hello Oscar,

They are produced right now and the shpping to European distributors will probably take about a month.
15mm is to big, it will not fit. 10mm is a maximum.

Best regards,
Fractal Design Support"""""

i ordered one here in Denmark, and should hopefully be in my filthy potato hands by next week <3

Resurrecting an old thread ... does anyone know if this thing is actually for sale?

Only place I've found is some UK sites, but they are all showing as out of stock.

Resurrecting an old thread ... does anyone know if this thing is actually for sale?

Only place I've found is some UK sites, but they are all showing as out of stock.

I was finally able to purchase a Node 202 today from Newegg. I didn't think that damn case was ever going to make it to the US.
They have both versions

without PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1352058&cm_re=node_202-_-11-352-058-_-Product

with PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1352059&cm_re=node_202-_-11-352-059-_-Product

I like fractal design cases a lot in terms of layout and look, but can't get over the fact that they continue to use so much plastic in their cases.

For the price, I can live with the plastic parts.

I got my HTPC switched over into the Node 202 last night. I was happy to see that my Cooler Master GeminII M4 cpu cooler fit in there. I had to use the slim fan that came with it, but it tucked in there very nice. The case has a filtered opening over it, so it should get plenty of air to it. Overall, I'm happy with this case.

Tonight I'm going to play around and see how the temps look on everything. I think with my setup it will be fine. My GPU is probably the biggest heat producer. And it being a blower style card, I think it should be fine.

Here is my full setup, in case anyone is curious.
Intel i3-4150 (CM GeminII M4 cooler)
8GB Crucial DDR3 1866mhz
EVGA GTX 780
2x 500GB Samsung Evo SSDs
Fractal sfx 450w PSU

Very true, they are a good deal in general. Would be interesting to see some thermal results for the Node 202, please do share!

Very true, they are a good deal in general. Would be interesting to see some thermal results for the Node 202, please do share!

I haven't been able to test as much as I would like, but this is what I have seen so far.

The hottest I was able to get my CPU was 74C. That was running AIDA64 and IBT tests. Under normal usage, web browsing and such, it stays about 45C.

My GPU did hit 84C with the power target at 106% and the temp target at 95C.
With the sliders at stock, the GPU pegs out at 80C and stays there.

There seems to be plenty of air intakes for the GPU, but the reference card's single fan probably doesn't utilize their potential. I think an aftermarket dual fan card would probably do much better temp wise. The thermals aren't anything to write home about, but do seem adequate enough.

I haven't been able to test as much as I would like, but this is what I have seen so far.

The hottest I was able to get my CPU was 74C. That was running AIDA64 and IBT tests. Under normal usage, web browsing and such, it stays about 45C.

There seems to be plenty of air intakes for the GPU, but the reference card's single fan probably doesn't utilize their potential. I think an aftermarket dual fan card would probably do much better temp wise. The thermals aren't anything to write home about, but do seem adequate enough.

Your point about aftermarket dual fans is interesting. Silverstone recommends aftermarket cards for the RVZ02 (something I also considered) but many reviews always seem to suggest reference blower designs would be better for these smaller cases. I was always curious about the Node 202 and using a fan or two (slim, if necessary) right above the GPU.

No, the only reason you're able to use a GTX 780 comfortably in this case is because you're using the stock blower. SPCR tried to use a GTX 980 with dual axial fans, and ran into cooling issues:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1464-page5.html

The problem is getting the air out of the case. That's the compromise you make for going with a tiny case like the Node 202 (instead of boxy cases with plenty of airflow like the Core 500).

For reference, here is the SPCR review of the Core 500 handling that GTX 980 with ease!

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1479-page6.html

No, the only reason you're able to use a GTX 780 comfortably in this case is because you're using the stock blower. SPCR tried to use a GTX 980 with dual axial fans, and ran into cooling issues:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1464-page5.html

The problem is getting the air out of the case. That's the compromise you make for going with a tiny case like the Node 202 (instead of boxy cases with plenty of airflow like the Core 500).

For reference, here is the SPCR review of the Core 500 handling that GTX 980 with ease!

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1479-page6.html

Jayztwocents on Youtube ran a dual fan 970 in his Node 202 build and he seemed to get around the same temps as myself, but he had 2x 120mm fans set to intake right under the card. Maybe the fans helped him, or maybe the 970 doesn't put out as much heat as a 980.

I can see how the heat escaping would be the big problem with those cards in the node 202. The only place to put any extra fans is right below the GPU. I would be weary to run any fans in that location as exhaust, as I would fear it would pull air from the GPU fan. I may give it a try just to see what happens.

Normally I wouldn't be running a 780 in my htpc, but when I upgraded my main rig, I ended up with two of them just laying around, so I swapped out my 750Ti for it. I had my HTPC in a fractal node 304 (pretty close to the core 500 you linked), before the move to the node 202. The 304 is an excellent case, but didn't fit the look I wanted next to my tv. I will probably repurpose it as a college pc for my oldest kid. Figure it will be easier to move around for them.

Jayztwocents on Youtube ran a dual fan 970 in his Node 202 build and he seemed to get around the same temps as myself, but he had 2x 120mm fans set to intake right under the card. Maybe the fans helped him, or maybe the 970 doesn't put out as much heat as a 980.

I can see how the heat escaping would be the big problem with those cards in the node 202. The only place to put any extra fans is right below the GPU. I would be weary to run any fans in that location as exhaust, as I would fear it would pull air from the GPU fan. I may give it a try just to see what happens.

Normally I wouldn't be running a 780 in my htpc, but when I upgraded my main rig, I ended up with two of them just laying around, so I swapped out my 750Ti for it. I had my HTPC in a fractal node 304 (pretty close to the core 500 you linked), before the move to the node 202. The 304 is an excellent case, but didn't fit the look I wanted next to my tv. I will probably repurpose it as a college pc for my oldest kid. Figure it will be easier to move around for them.

No, I don't doubt it, but the SPCR article specifically states you have to use slim fans, which will be tough to properly spec and balance airflow with if you want a quiet system.

If you're satisfied with the noise levels of that blower, then there's no benefit going dual fan axial. That's the POINT I'm trying to get across to you: you assertion that a dual-fan aftermarket cooler wold do BETTER in a case as constrained ads the Node 202 is wrong.

No, I don't doubt it, but the SPCR article specifically states you have to use slim fans, which will be tough to properly spec and balance airflow with if you want a quiet system.

If you're satisfied with the noise levels of that blower, then there's no benefit going dual fan axial. That's the POINT I'm trying to get across to you: you assertion that a dual-fan aftermarket cooler wold do BETTER in a case as constrained ads the Node 202 is wrong.

I never stated as a fact that a dual fan card would be better, just posted that as a thought. I hadn't seen any tests to prove otherwise, until the article you so kindly linked. I'm not disagreeing with you at all and I understood your point just fine. So not sure why you seem defensive about it. But no worries, it's a discussion after all.

I can say there is room for normal sized 120mm fans. They would be pretty close to the gpu but wouldn't touch it (well not with my reference card anyway, I think Jay's card was an MSI 980). In the video I spoke of by JayzTwoCents, he used fractal venturi fans on his build.

Last edited:
I am building a PC with this case.I watched JayztwoCents video and am purchasing two fans as well.

If these didn't look like microwaves I would have bought one. They are too big to fit under my tv and look out of place sitting on the floor next to it

Back