New folder, win 7 and WTF

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Binar, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Binar

Binar Gawd

Something strange happened. While checking some files on my PC I realized there's a folder "New Folder" placed in the lower left of my 3rd monitor ( I have 3 monitors) and the folder was placed in some way that you could barely see the first later sticking out from behind the monitor bezel. Intrigued I opened it and pretty much each file on my desktop had a shortcut in there. The folder was created Friday around 7 am when there's nobody home.
    I 'm using Malware Anti-bytes and MSE and nothing came up. Is this a virus? Even if someone would hack me why would they leave the folder there ( the folder looks like was hidden) ..The folder was not protected and I was able to dele right away. Do you have any idea what is going on or what should I check/do?

Win 7 Pro 64 bits
    2 AV
    OpenDNS

2. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

Shit happens. :)

Aside from that, I'd probably run a full Housecall scan and maybe follow up with an Eset scan as well - both of these are free, they run only the one time when you download and execute them, just make sure you choose the options carefully or else it'll delete something it finds and suspects might be problematic - my recommendation is disable that aspect and just let it alert you to any potential issues then you can act on those afterward).

Free Online Virus Scan - Antivirus Software - Trend Micro USA (choose the version you require, 32 bit or 64 bit, download and run locally)

http://download.eset.com/special/eos/esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe (this is an actual .exe at this link, grab that and run locally)

Both versions will check their executable for any corruption or problems, download the latest updates (to a temp directory), then ask you for options, run the scan, then when you close out the scanner all that remains will be the executable where you ran it from and the temp files so deleting them and the .exe won't damage or hurt anything, they're meant to be on-demand scanners and tossed when you're done.

3. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

"Malware Anti-bytes" - I am guessing this is really MalwareBytes Anti-Malware? Because if not, then that is your virus right there.

In any case, could be something.. or it could have been you somehow accidentally fatfingering some shortcuts bay accident.

Did you check the creation date/time of the folder and the shortcuts?

MrTroy03 likes this.
  4. TheHobbyist

TheHobbyist Hugs Hard Johnnies [H]ard

It sounds like an unintentional creation. I have seen this a lot on computers of less experienced users. Fat finger is my vote

5. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

oh shit. OP how MUCH of the letter was sticking out from the bezel.....try to think, it's very very critical. Was it closer 36% or 41%, man I hope it wasn't in between those percentages.....that would be bad, very bad. I saw this, 3 summers ago in Nicaragua. At the time I didn't think much about it because we were in Prinzapolka, but I didn't consider that it had happened before the river ride, back in La Rosita. Fuck if I had realized it happened in La Rosita I would have stopped right there and initiated a containment protocol.....as you can understand. Regardless, it took a couple days before we could get the local authorities to send a runner over the mountains to get the B.V.N.F. out there. By then we had almost full infection of the main system, the sub system and the priority E redlines. We had to quarantine, I would guess maybe 70-80% of non-essential vias and conduits up to an including the main ring. I'm sure you can guess where things went from there.....ya not good.

Luckily, we were able to get the mess cleaned up...as I said the local authorities weren't too satisfied with the whole thing. But I think at this point, in your case, if it's not between 36% and 41% you should be fine.

wra18th and Binar like this.
  6. Steve1123

Steve1123 n00b

7. jimh425

jimh425 Gawd

I doubt it's a virus. Why would someone create a folder called New Folder and copy shortcuts to it?

8. chaos4u

chaos4u Limp Gawd

dose not hurt to check with couple extra antivrus scans but i also would attribute this to something happening with the mouse, right click new folder is easy to create the folder being at the edge of the monitor most likely means the mouse was bumped and or moved in some fashion. the creating of the short cuts os a lil weird but also could have been done some how the mouse being bumped and or moved maybe inadvertent keyboard press.

so i would chalk this up to a cat or possible some one knocked the mouse off your desk and when placing it back some how manged to create the shortcuts in the folder by accident.