New folder to the flock

Hey guys/gals

May be late to the game, but I got bit by the folding bug. In the process of purchasing an EVGA SR-2 board for some entry level folding, then we shall see how it goes from there.

I currently have a pair of L5520's waiting to go into the board, and I need to get some memory. To start, I think I will be naked folding with it, until I can find a case or buy one of Spotswoods open benches.

Any suggestions or comments on the plan of action? I know enough to ask in advance, and any help is greatly appreciated.

LOL!

SR-2 for entry lvl folding..... welcome friend, you will fit right in here!

I would suggest trying to grab a shellshocker deal on some 1600 RAM, but the faster the better.

There are ppl that know more about RAM and I will let them get into the details.

You will find out that I don't like to do anything half-assed.

I will have to keep an eye out for the shell shocker deals, or I will patrol the FS threads.

Welcome to the [H]orde! Thanks in advance for putting down some serious PPD with that SR-2.

I've got 24gb of 4gb ddr3 1600 dimms I'm planning to throw up fs/ft soon, shoot me a PM if this fits what you're looking for.

And of course, welcome to the motherfolding team!

... purchasing an EVGA SR-2 board for some entry level folding,

My vote for quote of the year... :)

For memory, you need 6 sticks. For once, size really doesn't matter in this case - 6 x 1GB is plenty. The SR-2 can make use of faster memory up to around DDR3-2000, can run tighter timings, and can give them any voltage they want. This means you are really wide open on what will work. I ran 6 x Kingston HyperX 1GB modules in mine when I had them, either 1600 C8 or 2000 C9. Any of the 1600 C9 stuff commonly available should be fine. I would avoid the stuff you linked - it is C11 and 1.35V, and you don't need 1.35V memory. Something like this should work for you, or about anything else 1600 C9 1.5V to 1.65V.

And, welcome!

Welcome and yes you will definitely fit in here :D

I am currently running DDR3-1600 in my SR-2. If I where to do it again I would go with either DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2000 to get a higher memory divider and fast ram speed.

Nice! Entry level folding = Duals.

I am pretty sure they still let us in here if we only have a single socket systems other wise I am about to have my membership revoked!

Welcome to the team!

Welcome aboard.

Hey the more the merrier, single socket machines still do the brunt of the work and some of teh most useful, even toying with the idea of a new single socket machine myself.....

Well, it has been 12 days since I announced my desire and launch into the arena, now I have all my parts and the build shall commence!

425624_10150633559194717_501699716_8917512_174713745_n.jpg

Them's fighting words! See the OC thread for that board if you need any more specialized help

How you getting on with the dual E5's and the asus board - any PPD figures for that yet?

I think I might try and pick up a 970 instead of a 920 for my spare 1366 board.... Nothing wrong with 2 extra cores... :D

I think I might try and pick up a 970 instead of a 920 for my spare 1366 board.... Nothing wrong with 2 extra cores... :D

definately not, the more the merrier. Grandpa might be able to give you some PPD for them - i know that he did have some (not sure if he still does)

Still have 2 they are folding 58:30 avg on 6904 98,000+ and 38:40 on a 6903 104,000 they run pretty close to the same as my 980X rigs just need a little more v to do it. I might have 1 for sale soon. On smp it varies widley from 37,000 on a 8001 to 68,000 on a 7021 add a GTX 580 for another 27,000 PPD when folding smp.

Nice. If I can find an extra spicey one for a song then I might actually be able to get it (sometime soon).

It is a sad day, but I have sold my SR-2, however I have my Z9PE-D8 WS folding for some time. Trying to decide between joining the 4P mafia, or to build another 2P 2011 setup.

Some times there is an offer you can't refuse in the FS section for 4P goodness. Keep you eyes opened.

Also the 63xx chips are due in ~6 months. Might make for easy upgrading or cheap upgrades to better 61xx chips that happen to be cheap.

Back