New Farm Idea?

roftranspo

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2006
Snagged this from the front page: http://www.jadeintegration.com/jackpc.php

I Wonder if unhappy_mage tweaked Foldix to run these things, how well they would do. there not that cheap up front, but if you think about the power consumption on them, i wonder if they would be good folders.

VIVA LA HORDE

Wow. Can you imagine borging an entire office building equipped with these? That would be awesome.

Fold on!!!

Aratech said:
Wow. Can you imagine borging an entire office building equipped with these? That would be awesome.

Fold on!!!
thats what im thinking :) i was think a giant piece of plywood with rows of these only connected up and folding....that would be nice too.

The units utilise the latest AMD Au 1550 RISC processors running at either 333 or 500MHz. That's the equivalent of a 800MHz or 1.2GHz x86 desktop processor

Will FAH run on a RISC processor?

Also, not sure how well they perform floating point operations...

Q. I'm a home user but these look amazing, can I buy one?
A. Yes, however they're really designed for business use and to get the most out of them you'll really need a terminal server unless you just want to use them to browse the web.

F@H runs on a PowerPC which is a RISC based processor.

Didn't this say the processing runs from a terminal server though? Doesn't seem like it would really work like you all think it will. Not saying I'mright, jsut saying my opinion.

poddo said:
Didn't this say the processing runs from a terminal server though? Doesn't seem like it would really work like you all think it will. Not saying I'mright, jsut saying my opinion.
well that is pretty much how the fold server is setup (at least my understanding). The client logs into the main server and loads what it needs from there and processes it local on itself. I could be wrong seeing as i dont have one of these things OR a fold server running.

AFIK, fold server is a diskless server. So a bunch of processors are storing stuff on one central server. From what this looks like to me is that any processing needed to be done by one of these JackPCs gets sent to the central server to be done, and then sent back.

These are thin clients, which means the central server does most of the work. I do not think this will work out like you want. They problably could fold with the right software, but their cpu power is very low.

RISC just means Reduced Instruction Set Computer. There are *lots* of implementations of RISC - Sparc, Mips, and ARM, just to name a few. There are no guarantees, in other words, that this is even the right chip to work for this.

Back