New Eyefinity user, Questions about setup

amazon3d

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 19, 2007
Messages
454
So I got eyefinity the other day and was enjoying it up untill this morning (BF:BC2) it seems like today my FPS just dropped. I was gaming at 5040x1050. I had everything on high and 8xAA/8xAF Bloom off and HASBO off (I think thats how its spelled). Well one thing that annoys me about having 5040x1050 rez is that my desktop is a pain to manage.

Can I change it back to extended desktop and still have eyefinity going in games?
 
you will have t olower settings in game when playing on eyefinity. your graphics card is powering three monitors at one time instead of one so while it can have max settings on crysis on one monitor, it cant on three, however the sheer fact that you have the ability to keep almost all the settings near high shows how powerful the card really is. have the game slelect recomended settings and then play with what you want higher and what you dont want.

as far as switching im not sure, what i do is i turn on the hydra grid and set the vertical lines just under the bezels where you cant see them. this way when i want to maximize something to one monitor i just attach it to a grid. also its nice because you can just drag it to another monitor and keep it maximized instead of having to make the window smaller and then re maximize it. you get used to it really fast.


but if you prefer the extended desktop i found this in one of the sticky threads (i think it was the 10.3a preview driver update)

Derangel, you need to setup profiles. Get your eyefinity config all done, then hit the options on the top right hand of the ccc, and go into the profile manager. Then just save that configuration under whatever name you want. Then go change it back to extended mode, and save that as a different profile.

After that, you can just right click the ccc button in your tray to select the profile you want. You could also setup a hotkey combo.

eyefinityprofile.png
 
You can also add CCC profiles to Ultramon so you don't need to have the CCC icon in your system tray

55715868.jpg
 
works like crap. profiles do not work right. it totally screws up my settings, and does not set them back right.
 
Going to a default individual monitors profile is fine for me using a shortcut. However, going back to an eyefinity profile doesn't always work right, so I just manually right click -> create group each time, which takes about 10 seconds anyway.

Or based on what this guy said, you can use matrox's triplehead2go software:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=18737
I haven't tried it myself though.
 
There's no way BFBC2 is playable with those settings. I have to run 2XAA with ambient occlusion off to get perfect gameplay.
 
Weird, the profile hotkey works perfectly for me going either way.. I set up Alt-F1 to go to Extended desktop mode and Alt-F2 to go Eyefinity, press the hotkey and screen goes black for 2 sec then I'm switched over.
 
Creating two profiles in CCC seems to be working fine for me. Adding the profile shortcuts to Ultramon makes it fairly easy to switch from the system tray.

I really wish there were a way to automatically switch to Eyefinity when a game starts. All ATi needs to do is spoof that the middle monitor supports a triple-wide resolution, then switch to Eyefinity when that resolution is requested. It would making going from Extended Desktop to gaming completely seamless.
 
There is actually an option for that Unknown. You can set it so when you turn on eyefinity BC2 starts. ( Or any game you chose)
My problem is that it doesn't remember settings and my monitors get all mixed up and it takes like 10mins to get them rearranged via windows + CCC because CCC won't do it alone.

I play at 5040x1050 with everything on high and 4xAA 16xAF. I get 35-50FPS and it plays fine. (DX11, DX9 gave me 20fps) I am getting a few CTDs with this beta driver though.
 
lol that doesnt make sense, dx11 should run the gpu harder, not the other way around
 
lol that doesnt make sense, dx11 should run the gpu harder, not the other way around

Not necessarily, part of DX11 is being way more efficient at the things DX9 and DX10 already does, if the engine doesn't add any of the new graphic features from DX11 it will still run DX10/DX9 style games faster.
 
There is actually an option for that Unknown. You can set it so when you turn on eyefinity BC2 starts. ( Or any game you chose)

That isn't what I want at all. That would require I make a "special" shortcut for every game.

I want ATi's drivers to automatically detect that a triplehead resolution is being requested by a game, and switch to Eyefinity. It should also be smart enough to switch back to extended desktop when the game closes. Zero configuration required.
 
That isn't what I want at all. That would require I make a "special" shortcut for every game.

I want ATi's drivers to automatically detect that a triplehead resolution is being requested by a game, and switch to Eyefinity. It should also be smart enough to switch back to extended desktop when the game closes. Zero configuration required.

I agree but at the moment it doesn't appear so. I was hoping I could just leave it in extended mode and just select 5040x1050 in game but no such luck.
 
Last edited:
Not necessarily, part of DX11 is being way more efficient at the things DX9 and DX10 already does, if the engine doesn't add any of the new graphic features from DX11 it will still run DX10/DX9 style games faster.

No actually... it doesn't make sense because it's a well known fact (and personal experience for me as well) that Dx9 in BC2 runs faster than dx11.
 
No actually... it doesn't make sense because it's a well known fact (and personal experience for me as well) that Dx9 in BC2 runs faster than dx11.

You missed the part where he's running 4x AA.

Antialiasing is a lot less costly in DirectX 10.1 and DirectX 11 than it is in DirectX9. That's why he's seeing better framrates in DirectX 11 mode.
 
works like crap. profiles do not work right. it totally screws up my settings, and does not set them back right.

Work's perfectly fine for me here, switching between extended and eyefinity all the time.
 
Indeed, DX9 AA setting is 1x, I run DX11 with 4x and it runs rather smooth. I will crossfire when I get my next scholarship check. BC2 in DX9 mode sucks when compared to DX11, the quality is just so much better. I just decided to use Matrox's PowerDesk. It does just what I wanted it to do.
 
That isn't what I want at all. That would require I make a "special" shortcut for every game.

I want ATi's drivers to automatically detect that a triplehead resolution is being requested by a game, and switch to Eyefinity. It should also be smart enough to switch back to extended desktop when the game closes. Zero configuration required.

So is there no solution to this as of the moment? It is annoying having to switch profiles from the system tray CCC icon every time I want to play a game.

Also when I switch from eyefinity->desktop (extended, no bezel compensation, main screen is middle), the left and right monitors get switched up extension wise. Instead of being 1 2 3, it goes 3 1 2 and makes 1 the primary monitor instead of 2. Is there a solution to this monitor position program or do I have to spent 10 seconds reconfiguring it every time?

Edit: I am using 3x Dell 2209WA, 5870, 10.3a drivers.
 
Back
Top