New Evo 840 Firmware

sanitarium16

Limp Gawd
I installed magician 4.6 but it wont recognize that there is a new firmware available. It keeps showing that EXT0CB6Q is the latest. Does anyone know of a direct firmware download to the new one?

The servers are overloaded and Magician will report the drive has the latest firmware if it can't contact the server.

Only thing to do is try again later.

as-ssd-bench%20Samsung%20SSD%20840%20%204.26.2015%206-08-24%20PM_zps11noxpwg.png
[/URL][/IMG]
as-ssd-bench%20Samsung%20SSD%20840%20%204.26.2015%206-08-36%20PM_zpslnna5asv.png
[/URL][/IMG]
New firmware gives some nice AS SSD scores even if it doesn't mean much for real use

should i not?:D

I was just pointing out that RAPID is the reason for your AS SSD scores, not the new firmware. If new firmware alone could boost a drive's performance that much Samsung would be raking in piles of cash :p

It's debatable whether it's actually helpful or not. Like you said, it makes for nice benchmark numbers but it has some disadvantages, like if the system loses power before it has time to flush the data from RAM to the drive it could result in data loss.

Last edited:
I was just pointing out that RAPID is the reason for your AS SSD scores, not the new firmware. If new firmware alone could boost a drive's performance that much Samsung would be raking in piles of cash :p

It's debatable whether it's actually helpful or not. Like you said, it makes for nice benchmark numbers but it has some disadvantages, like if the system loses power before it has time to flush the data from RAM to the drive it could result in data loss.

well to be honest....even with rapid mode....don't think i have ever scored that high before, for what its worth anyway.....but i be first to admit its a cleaver benchmark cheat by samsung for most part.....but i think its helps a bit in daily use as well, just not as much as the bench would have you believe;)

Running HD Tune gives a better analysis of performance degradation of older data. Simple benchmarks including the Magician one doesn't show the problem.

Anyhoo, let's hope this new firmware takes care of it. :)

Back