New ESXi Server and MS Activation Query?

macrospect

[H]ard|Gawd
Its been a long time since I have posted a meaningful question here but I now have one after all this time! I am going to be building a new i7-based ESXi server and have spec'ed it out to allow multiple OSes to run at the same time. I am mainly planning on running Server 03/08 on it with multiple XP hosts and maybe Exchange 07 if I am feeling brave. I am not planning on using it for production purposes but rather just to fine tune my skills (practice).

My issue right now deals with my lack of a Technet subscription and therefore I do not have access to multiple license keys to legally create an environment in order to do this. I am about to purchase a sub since they are discounted now but have one concerning question regarding Microsoft's Activation policy (specifically Windows Vista/Server 08 and up). How is activation handled in a virtual environment? I am mainly concerned that if I try to mess with any of the VM settings (such as change NIC settings or disk settings) that the OS will detect the change and force me to activate again; ultimately chewing up my activations in no time just from one host. I was reading that there is a *special* activation under Server 08 (and maybe Windows 7?)for the hypervisor (to basically tell the host OS that it is running under a VM environment) but I have not had much luck in pulling up details on this.

My question to you guys: have you had any experience with this and if so how would one handle this issue? I am trying to iron out these questions before I build the server!

Thanks a lot to any responses!

I've done at least 3-4 activations on my test lab and not run into any issues with keys not working.

I have never had a problem with Technet keys not activating. The only time I have had to reactivate is after migrating from Hyper-V to ESXi.

If you use products that require activation, many allow up to 30 days usage without activating. If you re-image your computers more frequently than every 30 days, you may want to consider NOT activating them if you have that option based on the product you are installing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/downloads/cc137104.aspx#ProductKeys

That's what I do most of the time, I don't activate it unless I intend that particular install/VM to be used for a while.

Back