New E4300: Core temp vs. Speedfan temp differences?

waltherone

Gawd
Got an E4300 today out of the fry's deal, and put it in place of the Pentium D in the middle machine in my sig.

This is my first C2D chip, and I'm wondering why when I run coretemp in windows, it reads ~15c lower temps than speedfan does.

Speedfan, as far as idle temps, corresponds to what the hardware monitor part of the bios reads, so what gives?? They're getting their readings from the same sensors right?

Strange that Core Temp reads lower than Speed Fan, but Speedfan was giving me very inaccurate readings on CPU temp on my Kentsfield.

CoreTemp has been the closest to what I beleive to be accurate CPU temps, for me at least.
I have heard, and it was always possible with me that Speedfan was even causing Orthos errors when I was testing stability.

In general I would trust CoreTemp > Speedfan, although for me, speedfan was underreporting temps by a lot.

Got an E4300 today out of the fry's deal, and put it in place of the Pentium D in the middle machine in my sig.

This is my first C2D chip, and I'm wondering why when I run coretemp in windows, it reads ~15c lower temps than speedfan does.

Speedfan, as far as idle temps, corresponds to what the hardware monitor part of the bios reads, so what gives?? They're getting their readings from the same sensors right?

Try downloading Speedfan 4.32 beta 8, it is the brand newest and the first version of speedfan that displays core temperatures the way CoreTemp does.

Try downloading Speedfan 4.32 beta 8, it is the brand newest and the first version of speedfan that displays core temperatures the way CoreTemp does.

Done... and now speedfan is matching coretemp's temperatures.

But are those numbers trustworthy? Do the C2D chips have their own sensors, and the mobo sensor is just reporting the wrong temp?

Before, I thought the chip was running kinda warm... now it looks like I've got tons of OC'ing headroom, so I'm just curious :p

Anyone? Before i start giving it more voltage to see what it can do, I wanna know which temps to believe :p

The CoreTemp readings are coming directly off the core dies themselves, and will be the most accurate ones you're ever going to get since it reads the data directly in the manner that Intel prescribed for hardware monitoring.

Back