• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Dual Xeon need some help!

Wicked_Bass

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 26, 2000
Messages
1,052
I just got dual 2,2 xeons with HT and 1024megs or ram. How do I set up 4 different folding apps for each processor!

Thankyou!!
 
I would:

1. create 4 different folding directories
2. copy the console client in each folder (I rename each client: just by adding 1, 2, etc to the .exe)
3. create a shortcut to each client in each folder
4. add the "-configonly" flag to each shortcut
5. run each client via the shortcut, in the config, make sure it's set to run as a service and that the machine IDs are different
6. make the registry edit for each service to add the -advmethods -local -forceasm flags
7. reboot
8. check to make sure everything is running
9. reap benefits


Keep on Folding!!

 
Wicked_Bass said:
How do I make the registry edit for each service?

with the -local flag you dont need to edit the registry, F@H gets info from that directory insted of the registry. Thats why is it critical to make different folders for each Client ( so they dont get mixed up and start cross talking ;) )


 
don't you still have to edit the registry to get add the -avdmethods,etc flags?


Keep on Folding!!

 
OSUguy98 said:
don't you still have to edit the registry to get add the -avdmethods,etc flags?


Keep on Folding!!


I dont beleve so, as long as you set up the client on the first run with the flags
-local -advmethods -config
on the first run it should be ok.
after you get them set up, you can go back and delete the -config flag.

from stanford--


local
Use configuration files from local directory. This option has no meaning on Linux, but is vital on Windows and Macintosh for running multiple clients on a machine. It instructs the client to read its config information from the client.cfg file in the current directory rather than, on Windows, from the installation directory specified in the registry, or, on Macintosh, the Library/Folding@home directory. Information such as the user name, team name, proxy information, machine ID are maintained in the client.cfg file. The flag ensures that work does not conflict. Use "-local" only if you are planning on running more than one instance of Folding@Home on the same machine (this is only useful if you are running on a multi-processor machine). Create as many directories as there are processors on the machine, copy the exe files and client.cfg file into each of these directories, run "FAH3Console -local -config" on each and specify unique machine IDs for each directory (under the Advanced Settings option). From then onwards you may run each copy by switching to its directory and running with the -local flag.

I have never set up a dual proc sysem as a service, that might be different, but with all those clients running, I like to have access to them quickly

 
Do i need to set affinities to each service or will each one get put on a processor itself!
 
I got it up and running but each machine id is the same! Anyone know what ti did wrong?


Thanks
 
Do the steps above, Affinity between Client and CPU will be automatic. If you fallow the steps, that is all you need to do. Let us know how it goes!


 
Wicked_Bass said:
I got it up and running but each machine id is the same! Anyone know what ti did wrong?


Thanks

I think you forgot to set the Machine Id on one client to " 2 "

Restart and add the -config flag , when prompted to change advanced options choose
" yes " then change the Machine ID to 2
 
Wicked_Bass said:
I got it up and running but each machine id is the same! Anyone know what ti did wrong?


Thanks
You can also edit the client.cfg file in each directory to get the right machineid.
In other words, machineid=1,machineid=2,machineid=3, machineid=4 all in their appropriate folders.
 
Back
Top