New DSLR, where do I start?

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
So for graduation, I was given a Nikon D3100 as a gift. It has been a LONG time since I used anything besides a point and shoot (I will miss my Sony DSC-W100, it took great photos).

So my question is, where should I start in terms of learning how to really USE this thing? I would love to get to the point where I don't need the auto settings to take great photos, since I remember how much control I had when I used my dad's old SLR back in the day.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd strongly suggest to read the quick start guide that probably came with the camera, and then the manual all the way through with the camera buy your side, so that you try out the topics being talked about.

You may like the free D3100 digitutor that Nikon has on their side. This digitutor has a bunch videos that walk you through everything on the camera. Even if you are confident with the camera this may help fill in some of the gaps.

Cambridge in Color has many tutorials, from the most basic to advanced topics. Check out Tutorials->Concepts and Terminology and Tutorials->Photo Techniques & Styles

Aperture
Shutter Speed
Focal Length
ISO

Those are your four basic paremeters. Read about how changes in each affect the way your camera takes a photograph. Once the basics of those four things are understood, then you can start playing with composition, bracketing, metering modes etc etc etc. But all of the later things you pick up are ways to manipulate the first four things I mentioned. Hopefully you remember a lot of this from your film camera days.

An excellent book I picked up for my daughter, then ended up reading/skimming most of, is The Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia of Digital Photography by Steve Luck.

Picked up the previous edition at a B&N for only 5 bucks a couple years ago, believe it or not, and very glad I did. Covers a lot of topics just in depth enough to make you understand and get you started playing with them.

BB

If you're more practical with your learning switch to manual and take a photo. Change one setting at a time and keep doing it.

And it may be cliché but the camera doesn't take great pictures, the photographer does. If you have a good eye and composition you can make a damn polaroid look pro.

Nikon offers courses in a lot of large cities. You should get some literature on it in the mail eventually so long as you're registered. It's not free and I haven't taken them but they sound interesting.

you could also take some inexpensive courses at a local college and/or community center

web sources include dpreview and nikonians (used to be free but now requires a sub after some time).

Back