New drivers for XP and Vista 158.22 and 158.24

They have 158.24 for Vista listed on the Nvidia BETA site, can anyone confirm 158.22 for XP?

uh so whats changed?

EDIT: nothing that concerns me...just some SLI stuff. meh

I'm actually hoping Quake 4 will run now. The 158.18's broke that game (in both XP and Vista) for some reason. I keep meaning to go back and play that game, but now I can't!

I'm hoping I can get through installing them without my monitor getting no video unless I go into safe mode. I'm also hoping they don't crash every few minutes.

This looks promising..

nvidia15824betaql5.jpg

Hope my bug reports assisted in narrowing this little keeper, let's just hope it's true.

Full change log here:
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/158.24/158.24_ForceWare_Release_Notes.pdf

I guess we cant just write off support for anything below a 8xxx card. exactly 6 months since the last official release. oh well :eek:

Most of the new drivers still work and improve preformence in older cards, they just need some slight mods. As for Nvidia support, there like most of th tech world, latest and greatest.

I think they're done supporting older cards since they quit doing unified drivers.

I guess we cant just write off support for anything below a 8xxx card. exactly 6 months since the last official release. oh well :eek:

I think they're done supporting older cards since they quit doing unified drivers.

Whatchu' talkin 'bout, Willis?

Almost all the change logs (including this beta and the last official release for xp and Vista) support all the way down to 6 series cards, if not lower.

Surely you don't expect hardware from 5+ years ago to get any benefit from a newer driver? If you have a card that's 5+ years older, with a driver that works, leave it alone.

Well, Quake 4 is still broken, although it lasted about 4 seconds longer before crashing ;)

i just installed my 8800GTS and it seems with this driver the fan control is grayed out any ideas? :confused:

i just installed my 8800GTS and it seems with this driver the fan control is grayed out any ideas? :confused:

That's been the case for the last few revisions. I'm curious if they'll bother fixing it any time soon. Anyway, the newest RivaTuner can still control your fan.

That's been the case for the last few revisions. I'm curious if they'll bother fixing it any time soon. Anyway, the newest RivaTuner can still control your fan.

yea i did that

also there not holding my settings for res scaling i want to use the scaling in my monitor and it keeps setting it self back to the drivers scaling any ideas?

Whatchu' talkin 'bout, Willis?

Have to agree with that comment. This driver release is the one I've been waiting for, as it's the one which corrects the problems I wanted corrected. Pair of SLI'd 6600GT cards here and, as I posted to another forum just a short while ago:
Catweazle said:
Grab the 158.24 Beta driver if you're having the "my widescreen monitor shat itself!" problem with the previous 158.18 official release.

All fixed now. Got my native screen resolution back, no more blackscreening....

Most important of all, I can now enjoy the 'fix' I was waiting for from the 158.18 release. I can now have SLI enabled and still use Media Center with high definition content. Previous Nvidia releases kept 'losing' the bottom half of the display when I did that.

Oh yeah! Game performance is pretty good too. Any residual performance 'hit' in comparison to XP is in the measurement only, not in the playability. For me anyways. I've just had a good fiddle with a few games, cranked up to as high a level of detail as I'd expect to use in XP, and seen no perceptible difference in performance.

That last bit is no surprise to me, though. The 101.41 release got me back gaming, and I only ditched those because of the Media Center issue. Media Center was more important to me.

Anyways, enjoy, if you needed the things

yea i did that

also there not holding my settings for res scaling i want to use the scaling in my monitor and it keeps setting it self back to the drivers scaling any ideas?

Same thing. I know this occurs with several displays based upon reading posts here. I'm on a Viewsonic widescreen and have had no issues, but I guess that's luck.
I think the thing about these new Nvidia drivers is that every time they fix one thing or improve performance in another...it seems to break something else. Either that or they're back to 2-3 different groups making drivers who aren't working together.

Please report all problems your having with 8800 series and these new XP drivers, no matter how tiny.

I have been eyeing the 8800GTS 640MB for quite awhile now but Nvidia drivers have been major concern for me. Also Iam about to jump on 22" wide screen and been reading not so good news about 1680x1050 resolution and games. Any truth to that, or is it simply that not many games support 1680x1050 resolution?

I'm actually hoping Quake 4 will run now. The 158.18's broke that game (in both XP and Vista) for some reason. I keep meaning to go back and play that game, but now I can't!

Q4 works fine here.

Please report all problems your having with 8800 series and these new XP drivers, no matter how tiny.

Playing BF2 1.41 last night and there is still the weird highlighting issue with the foliage and the game CTD'ed for no apparent reason last night. The CTD only occurred once, however. Oblivion, BF2142, and FEAR are all playing just fine.

..Also Iam about to jump on 22" wide screen and been reading not so good news about 1680x1050 resolution and games. Any truth to that, or is it simply that not many games support 1680x1050 resolution?
Read my comment above. That's precisely what I'm saying has been fixed. 1680x1050 is back ;)

I have been eyeing the 8800GTS 640MB for quite awhile now but Nvidia drivers have been major concern for me. Also Iam about to jump on 22" wide screen and been reading not so good news about 1680x1050 resolution and games. Any truth to that, or is it simply that not many games support 1680x1050 resolution?

I'm in the same boat, trying to decide on which 8800gts to buy today and looking at 22" ws lcd. Currently with sli'd 6600gt on 21" crt 16x12. Quake 4 tends to crap out every so often.

So STILL no support for oc'ing the stream processors, huh? Lying bastards!!!

Q4 works fine here.

Really? What are your settings? Seems that there are a lot of issues with these drivers and that game, so it might be hardware specific, too.
Also, how long did you play? Mine runs wonderfully for about 20 seconds and then it brings me back to the desktop.

I forgot to mention that q4 multiplayer is worthless. Crashes immediately on initialization.

• Enable TurboCache for GeForce 8 series GPUs. [288381]

Has that been turned off in all the driver rev's pre this rev? Just wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in performance or if it even mattered.

Back