New domain with 2 DNS

the-one1

2[H]4U
Scenerio:
Im building a domain of 5 client and one DC. Dhcp via internet router. Domain name is business.w2k. The DC will handle DNS for the domain.
BUT on the network, there is a DNS of another domain serving domain names for registered web sites which does not belong to the owner of business.w2k, yet they split the cost of the line/connection. I can not do DHCP unless I get a router to separate us from them, but out of the question for simplicity.

Question: will I have any problems with the 2nd DNS?
domainDNS.JPG

You shouldn't have problems if DHCP is configured properly. What I would personally do is your server is dual homed (2 nucs) get rid of the router and configure NAT and DHCP on your box.

I cant get rid of the router, cause the person I'm building this for doest own the line, they just pay half, the owner owns the router and line. DHCP is auto configured via a soho router. All I'm wondering is if the 2nd DNS will have any ill effect with the DC.

the-one1 said:
I cant get rid of the router, cause the person I'm building this for doest own the line, they just pay half, the owner owns the router and line. DHCP is auto configured via a soho router. All I'm wondering is if the 2nd DNS will have any ill effect with the DC.

Having multiple DNS servers on one network shouldn't cause any issues - in fact its a good thing if they share the nameing tables. I'd be more worried about your DNS getting updates since the router is doing DHCP. You might have trouble getting dynamic updates to work so hopefully you don't change the names of your PC's often.

if you have problems, best bet is to get a better router and setup two different vlans/segments. That way your traffic is pretty much independent from the other network.

I see no technical issues arrisng with that setup. However I don't know why you are not segmented from each other. your servers are exposed to each other. You can't control the other companies employees. If your sharing a dsl line.Just stop being cheap and get yourown. If its a T1 or other leased line you both should be able to get a public ip address (they usually issue you your own block with a T1) and you can segment your network yourself.

Back