New Discovery Raises Hope for Human Colonization of the Moon

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
In October 2017, Japan’s Selenological and Engineering Explorer probe discovered a massive underground cave on the Moon. The space, which is 100 meters (328 feet) wide and 50 kilometers (31 miles) long, is being touted as a potential location for a lunar station. In fact, some experts are asserting that the best way to live on the Moon is in caves just like the one recently discovered. Living underground makes perfect sense because we gain a lot of protection from radiation and micro-meteorites. Furthermore, the moon is the logical starting place for us as we move out into the solar system. Check out this video below.

Watch the video here.

"Fake moon village..all staged and filmed in a cave in Antartica." :joyful:

Also going to be the biggest reality TV show for the next 10-20 years.

Last edited:
Won't happen. I'd be amazed if the US has even rebuilt its manned spaceflight program in 20 years.

that hole on the moon is not for habitation, it's a silo for military use that was built for the Star Wars initiative started by Reagan.

Last edited:
that hole on the moon is not for habitation, it's a silo for military use that was built for the Star Wars initiative started by Reagan

I thought it was where we end up when we teleport there from Earth.

I love big "announcements" about space that don't mention money.

It's not just Americans, it's every country with a half-assed space program. Great propaganda, too expensive to actually do.

Until we find a means to negate/control gravity, travel in Space will be too resource intensive. And until we develop faster-than-life travel, it'll be too time-intensive.

Lunar LAN Party anyone?

clkf,bamboo,white,x900-bg,f2f2f6.u1.jpg

It's the perfect width! We can run fiber down the length of the cave to switches where we can then run CAT6 to the sides as needed.

Lunar LAN Party anyone?

too bad you need to connect back to earth for the servers so you will have bbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddd lag

Atleast building it underground would give protection from the solar radiation, but you'd still need solar panels above ground to capture power.

Atleast building it underground would give protection from the solar radiation, but you'd still need solar panels above ground to capture power.

I suspect that someone will invent transmission lines by the time this adventure happens...

The current cost of lifting something from the surface of the earth to low earth orbit is astronomically prohibitive. Using the least expensive current delivery method of Space ex Dragon rocket costs $66,000 for 22 kilos, or 3,000 per kilo. Now unless we plan on living inside of serran wrap and sustaining life off of sun and recycled human waste, I don't see any development of a moon colony coming in my lifetime.

I can picture it quite clearly....

Send a group of people to the moon tunnel base and after 2 years the people look like the tunnelers from Fallout New Vegas Lonesome Road DLC... :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, the tunnel would make a great base. Maybe they'll send up enough track for a Hot Wheels race on the moon.

I really hope humans do go back to the moon. Wasn't there plans drafted in the 1950s for a lunar base?
I'm pretty sure NASA never stopped training astronauts and have a new capsule program, Orion, in the works for the moon and Mars.
Maybe a joint venture between 2 or more countries can ease space costs?

So now the race is on to fuck up the rest of the Solar System we live in, fantastic.

Guess no-one here seen the movie Time Machine... 2037 is when the moon broke apart from a detonation to build quarters within for the Lunar Base.. call me crazy... but.. don't think its a great idea...

Haven't they heard? There's been a Nazi base on the dark side of the moon since 1945!

That hole has got to be..... THE BIGGEST ARSE ON THE MOON!!!! wub wub tssh tssh tssh.

It hasnt raised my hope for the moon.
Leave it alone ffs before it gets ruined.

They've known about lava tubes on the moon for decades. Nothing new. It's not because someone spotted one that lunar habitability is somehow guaranteed. There's a lot of technology that has to come into play before something like this is possible.
First is our heavy lifting capabilities which have diminished since the 60s. Then it's the ability to get 3d printing robots to work on the moon. Then it's our recycling technology which is lacking when it comes to a closed environment.
The idea that we need our countries to work together is kind of silly considering only a handful of them have the capability to get to the moon in the first place. That's just some hippy nonsense at the end of the video.

It's too expensive... unless...

If a viable fusion reactor can be developed it is believed that HE-3 would be the perfect fuel. Helium 3 is "very" rare on earth but can be found in quantity on the moon. Under those circumstances a moon colony would not only be affordable but it could be profitable...

Guess no-one here seen the movie Time Machine... 2037 is when the moon broke apart from a detonation to build quarters within for the Lunar Base.. call me crazy... but.. don't think its a great idea...

Simple solution, don't moon mine with NUKES.

Mining of H3 would make this extremely profitable and probable. Everyone wants a Mars mission but a refueling station on the Moon makes it much easier.

Until we find a means to negate/control gravity, travel in Space will be too resource intensive. And until we develop faster-than-life travel, it'll be too time-intensive.

Only because our minds rely on these crude outer shells called bodies. Move our minds into machines and it all takes on a different light doesn't it?

Frankly, I ain't going until they have replicators and and holodeck.

Girls with green skin would be good too :D

Reactions: Madoc
like this
We're whalers on the moon...

Seriously, though. I'd love to visit the moon. Then Mars. Then the belt. The galaxy. THE COSMOS!

There could be water in the cave if it's sealed. Just a bonus.
An article I read nearly a month ago said the cave was nearly the size of Manhattan

In other news, many new moon movies ranging from horror to comedy are now in the works.

2020, just add another 20, so 2040 seems more realistic. Then mars by 2080

Reactions: erexx
like this
Back