New DigiCam

Suck_My_Deck

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 14, 2002
Messages
9,526
Just picked up a Canon Powershot A510 today. I gotta say it's probably the best you can get for your money, at least as far as I am concerned. For $200 (likely less if you buy it online) you get all sorts of options that I didnt expect to find on an entry-level unit. Manual shutter control, macro and foliage settings, panorama pictures, stich-pic (you can take up to 5 overlapping photos and make them into one big one). I'm impressed as hell with the thing. My only qualm is that at max-zoom (4X optical) the pictures are pretty crummy. But you dont really need the zoom if you can get close enough to the subject. I've had the thing for 2 hours and I am in love already. I heard a lot of people talking about the A60's being nice, and the sales guy (a friend of mine) said this one is basically the one-up of the A60, so I was sold.

Heres some pics:

As you can see, the zoom at 4X is pretty lousy
[img=http://img160.exs.cx/img160/5961/picture0140de.th.jpg]

Up close works great though (pimpin' the arrowhead :D )
[img=http://img141.exs.cx/img141/879/picture0112ef.th.jpg]

And, for your drinking pleasure :)
[img=http://img141.exs.cx/img141/166/picture0137jk.th.jpg]

Thanks to http://imageshack.us for hosting

I'm no pro (obviously), but there have been so many times where I think "oh that would make a great picture" but alas, I was without a camera. I am hoping to get a decent 35mm SLR for my birthday this year, so I can get into it more as I love taking pictures, and I get kinda artsy-fartsy sometimes (especially when it comes to cars).
 
Actually, at 4x zoom you need to hold the camera *very* still. I looked at the EXIF data, and your shutter speed was only 1/40th of a second -- much to slow to avoid blurred pictures at 4x zoom.

I think what happened was the black car made the camera think there was less light, so it needed a slower shutter-speed to collect more light for the picture (during this extended time, you moved a bit and blurred the picture). If you take a picture of something brighter (not a black car) on a nice sunny day, the picture should look better once the shutter speed can get closer to 1/200th of a second or faster. (Also, when you zoomed-in less, you can also get away with slower shutter speeds)
 
Common rule is that shutter speed should be less than inverse focal length. However, with P/S it's hard to tell the focal length :)

Awesome camera though, Canon rox :)
 
KevC said:
Common rule is that shutter speed should be less than inverse focal length. However, with P/S it's hard to tell the focal length :)

Awesome camera though, Canon rox :)

multiply the listed focal length by around 4.
 
Back
Top