new Deus Ex confirmed

:eek:
:D :D :D

Let's hope this installment in the series won't suck nearly as much as DX2.

The last deus ex was criminally bad, I don't have high hopes for this one UNLESS it is solely developed on the PC, and then perhaps later ported to consoles like the original. otherwise we'll get another ho-hum watered down mindless action game like the last one.

The last deus ex was criminally bad, I don't have high hopes for this one UNLESS it is solely developed on the PC, and then perhaps later ported to consoles like the original. otherwise we'll get another ho-hum watered down mindless action game like the last one.

I think one of the major problems with Invisible War was that it was developed with the limitations of the Xbox in mind. This explains the small, claustrophobic level design. There was never really much point to setting the game in Seattle, Cairo or Trier because you couldn't actually see much of where you were.

This doesn't explain a number of other poor design choices, but I think if they made the new Deus Ex a cross platform title on current console systems, it wouldn't suffer in the same way.

I'm not sure whether I'm excited or scared. After how they completely butchered the second game, I'm not sure they even know why we all liked the first one.

I think one of the major problems with Invisible War was that it was developed with the limitations of the Xbox in mind. This explains the small, claustrophobic level design. There was never really much point to setting the game in Seattle, Cairo or Trier because you couldn't actually see much of where you were.

This doesn't explain a number of other poor design choices, but I think if they made the new Deus Ex a cross platform title on current console systems, it wouldn't suffer in the same way.

This is pretty true, the UE 3.0 is pretty much designed for cross-platform development. Hopefully they learn their lesson regarding interface design.

But still, I don't really want to see another Deus Ex. It's over with. The events and experience of IW kinda killed any remaining desire to see more of the world. I'd much rather they produce a spiritual successor like Bioshock and System Shock 2 (basically keeping the same gameplay of Deus Ex, but in a new frame), and write themselves a new world and atmosphere.

This is pretty true, the UE 3.0 is pretty much designed for cross-platform development. Hopefully they learn their lesson regarding interface design.

But still, I don't really want to see another Deus Ex. It's over with. The events and experience of IW kinda killed any remaining desire to see more of the world. I'd much rather they produce a spiritual successor like Bioshock and System Shock 2 (basically keeping the same gameplay of Deus Ex, but in a new frame), and write themselves a new world and atmosphere.

Yes, if only it were possible to pretend that the events of Invisible War never occurred. I'd be quite partial to another System Shock game as well.

I'm going to be optimistic here, and hope Bioshock lives up to the hype. I think that a cross-platform Deus Ex sequel would have similar needs and limitations, so perhaps the design team can learn from Irrational.

oh my, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this!!

I played through Invisible War but I never did care for it much, it was just another PC game crippled due to the console-friendly effect. I can only assume future games will suffer from that as well.

oh my, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this, please don't ruin this!!

word!

cause those who know, know that Deus Ex (the 1st one) is like one of the best games of all time!!! two was meh, but hey we had to play it, the story was ok, but the interface and levels were sub-par

word!

cause those who know, know that Deus Ex (the 1st one) is like one of the best games of all time!!! two was meh, but hey we had to play it, the story was ok, but the interface and levels were sub-par

you're being . . . very kind to invisible war.

Please, please, PLEASE let this become the cyberpunk Oblivion, like the first one was! :D

I liked both of these games alot.
I hope that things are different in this next one though. It seems like I would play by the story line for so long, and then get bored and just start killing everything in the game.
While this was probably not how the developers imagined someone might play, it was something I would always try out and go through the entire game doing. Did anyone else do this? Or was it just me?

Hmm. Like many in this thread, I have feelings on this topic...so very much mixed. I mean, "Deus Ex, YAY!", right? On the other hand, "Deus Ex 2...ugggh".

Here's hoping.

god i hope it dosnt suck.

thats the first thing i thought when i heard abuot this.

invisible war tarnished the name of deus ex enuogh, but luckily enough its largely forgotten and the awesomeness of deus ex 1 is remembered.

Will warren specter be directing?

I just started playing Deus Ex for the first time. I hope the next one lives up to the original.

Why the hate on Invisible War?

I mean, it wasn't Deus Ex, but what game is? Most sequels suck compared to their originals.

If you take if for what it is, it's is a good shooter.

Why the hate on Invisible War?

I mean, it wasn't Deus Ex, but what game is? Most sequels suck compared to their originals.

If you take if for what it is, it's is a good shooter.

At the time of release, many people felt that if they had simply removed the 'Deus Ex' name from the game, it would have stood well on it's own merits. Indeed, it does have some fairly fun elements in the game. There were one or two moments of dialogue that made me feel, for the first time in a game, that I was being treated as an adult.

However, I'm not sure that there's any reason why a sequel can't live up to the original product (or even exceed it - it happens more often in the video game industry). Invisible War was hit with a number of poor design choices that might have seemed respectable at first glance, but fundamentally misrepresented the strengths of the original game. One of the most obvious ones was the universal ammunition concept - an obvious attempt to whittle down the Xbox controller limitations.

I think it was Harvey Smith's first time as Lead Designer on the project, so he had his work cut out for him. Maybe there were others involved in the decision to go cross-platform, but ultimately, Eidos now has a perfect example of what not to do.

I think if they can keep the damn loading times down from the last installment we should be good. The first game was a one of the kind. The second one I never finished because the loading zones bored me so much I quit.

First one was awesome, DX2 still wont run very well on my current pc in my sig, crank it up and slows way down, probably the thing I hated the most about DX2, but I really hope that the new game is as good, or better if even possible than DX1.

Hmmm...ya know...looking at Gamespot and going through the screenshots for DX:IW...

...I guess it wasn't really that bad a game. Remembering a lot of those scenes...it did have a lot of cool stuff to it, and I did enjoy playing it.

I think, perhaps, the reason for only remembering dislike for it (when, in fact, I did enjoy it) was that it fell so far short of the original. It really WAS a good game, actually. It just wasn't DX1.

The things that sucked about DX2:

-Entirely different gameplay. While this isn't necesarily a crime, the DX2 system in it's entirety was a stripped down, washed out shell of DX1.

-No DX feel. Games have a certain feel to them, and sequels need to have that same feel. DX2 didn't.

-Levels. What a disappointment. These were insulting and felt too much like a console on my friggin' PC. WTF did they think DX1 fans played it on? The PC. Yeah, there was some PS (or was it PS2) port that looked like it was ported from the PC, but I'm more inclined to believe the fans were on the PC side. Don't. Do. This. Crap.

-Optimization. Top of the line hardware at the time had a hard time running the game. Not because it was an overwhelming engine, but because the optimizations sucked.

-The familiar characters just didn't feel right.

The thing is, they botched the sequel. Those could've been cool locations, but the story didn't make you give a damn. The interface wasn't even close to what you were used to in DX1, and they tried to gain a new audience by changing the essence of DX.

I'm happy to here a new DX game in the works, but I'm crossing my fingers that they down blow this like Monica...

Should be interesting to see what happens. I sure hope this one is better than the last one.

Im really looking forward to this, heres hoping for another system shock!

The best part about dues ex to me was breaking into places and robbing/murdering people.

Will warren specter be directing?

Sadly not, none of the brains (mostly Smith and Spector) behind the design of the first game are involved, this is a totally different team.

It will be a cross-platform game, that's pretty much inevitable coming from where it's coming from, but I'm hoping that the success of Oblivion will make them realize that they don't have to dumb it down to special-needs levels to draw those console dollars.

Well, I'll admit it I liked invisible war. I thought it was fun.

Honestly, it was obviously no Deus Ex 1. What game ever could be that game was the RIGHT game at the RIGHT time with all the right conspiracy theories all laced into one Snowcrash - esque future world that gave all of us technowood.

IW was just another shooter, with some cool self augmenting abilities. In it's own right still pretty cool though. No enthralling story but not very many games manage such a world of emotion similar to a novel that DE1 did.

Of course, I'm hoping for the new one to be a smashing rendition of lovelyness that the 1st was, because damnit I need another Deus Ex.

I still, to this day, don't understand why people don't like invisible war. After I played through it, I was like... wait. Where's the broken level design? Where is the horrible interface? Where is the horrible story? Because I just played through an awesome game.

Yes, not as cool as Deus Ex 1, but come on. I thought Invisible War was still very much above average. If Deus Ex was an A, Invisible War was a B+ in my mind.

Deus Ex 3 is ALREADY confirmed for consoles as well. So expect it to be dumbed down just like the last one.

Deus Ex 3 is ALREADY confirmed for consoles as well. So expect it to be dumbed down just like the last one.

You realize Deus Ex 1 came out for PS2, right? And the port had more features than the original game?

You realize Deus Ex 1 came out for PS2, right? And the port had more features than the original game?

Yeah gotta agree here, I think we're coming to a point where developers should be able to cross platform without screwin it up too bad.

I had already beaten the game several times when I baught it for PS2. I could never get used to the controls though. It just wasn't the same. I still have both copies because just like some of you, I regard it as one of my favorite games of all time. I don't even let anyone borrow it for fear that they might loose, break, or never return it.

I remember being so excited for DX:IW and even dissapointed when it missed it's June '03 release date. I never baught it or even played it because every one of the die hard DE fans like I was said it was utter crap loaded with bugs and a crappy interface. I kinda wish I had actually gotten it though. I hope the third ones turns out well. The article makes it seem like Warren Spector isn't involved since he formed his own company, but hopefully that doesn't hurt the game however it turns out.

The story factions were really one of the weak points of DXIW. Listening to the whining cries of "Why couldn't you stay with UNATCO?" from people nitpicking the first game, and making every side playable in Invisible War, was a dumb move. It detracted from every ending, leaving the climax of the game insubstantial and unsatisfying.

Back