New Deus Ex 3 gameplay vid: thoughts?

I remember when pc games didn't have overtly glowing items to baby our way through the game.

No it wasn't. There wasn't item highlighting ten years ago because ten years ago most games were brutally unforgiving and were bogged down in the mire with insanely stupid decisions, such as forcing gamers to go up to every damned door and take a shot at seeing if you could open it or not.

Actually Deus Ex did have "item highlighting" too an extent. And despite being a very open game for its genre at the time, it was very clear at communicating key locations without leaving you confused and having or spend hours of random searching or consulting a game guide. But I think you are forgetting the "fact" that "true" PC gamers are "hardcore." Also by making games less accessible, we can preserve game length, by tacking on 30-40 hours of tediousness.

The glowing highlighting and the 3rd person view breaks away the immersion. Overall, the game looks good, but I doubt it will be as good as the original.

This is the exact problem Thief 3 had when it was released for PC and consoles, a massive step backwards for the game. I'm not surprised to see this with Deus Ex 3 and it will probably infect Thief 4 as well.

Sad times seeing these beloved games dragged under the console bilge :(

More so than the third person shifting, what seems to somewhat break the immersion for me is the 'magical interaction' with the environment - you do not see your limbs nor see them interact with weapons, objects etc. Before I believe this was done due to technical limitations, but today it seems a bizarre choice... However that is a minor qualm I can easily forget if the rest of the game is enjoyable.

I agree with Wabe above about the glowing. Not to mention it is a coherent design considering the futuristic high-tech universe of Deus Ex. I'm quite sure people complaining about such detail here will forget about it provided the game is good.

This is a game I am waiting for and hoping is up to expectations. I really like the Blade Runner vibe.

I remember when pc games didn't have overtly glowing items to baby our way through the game.

Agree, I actually miss the frustration of running around somewhere for an hour trying to find the next step/door i need to go through.

I hate the portrait of the guy in the corner. It looks terrible, like a cartoon that is not in line with the style of the gameplay at all.

I don't know whose idea it was that the defining feature of DE3 would be "YELLOW!" but yeah, this is more than I ever expected from the old screenshots. Everything is yellow.

Agree, I actually miss the frustration of running around somewhere for an hour trying to find the next step/door i need to go through.

Ah, the good old days, when you'd reach the game's requisite lava level and have to jump from one island to the next, and when you missed, start all over again from twenty minutes earlier because the game's checkpoint save system was an abomination that made you want to throw yourself from the nearest tall building.

Yes, I too miss the... frustration... of the good old days.

Not.

And LOL at the guy who's complaining about the game 'babying' him. Somebody tell that guy that there's actually a difficulty level called 'Deus Ex' and that when one preview writer chose to play on that level of difficulty he died in 30 seconds from one bullet.

Let's just wait until August before we bury this, okay. The game isn't even finished yet.

Last edited:
The game isn't even finished yet.

Actually it pretty much is.

I watched an interview with Jean-François Dugas on YouTube. He mentioned that at this point in time they cannot change anything in the game; the team is primarily polishing everything off and correcting bugs.

Last edited:
Thief? Are you kidding me? Thief is a stealth game! If you were to assault in Thief you would be dead in ten seconds. Assault is not an option in Thief! You've actually named the one title that is completely at the far end of the stealth spectrum.

Thief could be played as head on ballsy assault, it was a bit more risky and required a load out that supported head on assault but it was possible, one of the great things about thief is that it didn't punish you too hard for failing at stealth you could always do an assassins creed style escape by either duelling a few guards or simply legging it.

I found the game very much like a sort of comical three musketeers at time, with the bravado of jumping onto tables and furniture and fighting back 3 guards at sword point only to throw a flash bomb in their faces and scuttle off up a rope arrow into the rafters.

Item highlighting is a simple way of communicating information to the gamer as to avoid confusion.

Sometimes you want it to be ambiguous, exploration is part of the magic of gaming, in games like Thief there was item highlighting except that it was SUBTLE. Have you seen the difference between Thief 1/2 and Thief 3? The original and the sequel had nice subtle highlighting helpfull to allow you to see things in the often times very dark environments. Thief 3 had this obnoxious bright neon blue glow which just ruined all immersion you had in the game.

If, for example, there are boxes all over the place, but only one or two of them are active, I don't want to have to begin a clickfest in some silly hunt for the right box. That's just stupid. Ditto for doors. I can't stand it in games when there are doors everywhere but I can't tell which ones are active. A good game isn't about hunting for the one door that's active, and needlessly frustrating me along the way. That information needs to be clear to me, and in this title it's clear.

In games like Thief and Deus Ex sometimes you want the opposite, you want it to be a risk to have to sneak to a door only to find it's locked and either requires the attention of your lock picks or you simply need to find another route.

It's part of the risk of sneaking about, some of my fondest memories in Thief was timing guard patrols sneaking up to a door and expecting to dive through it, only to find it locked and having to lock pick it frantically as the guard strolled around able to turn at any second to spot you.

I can see what people are going to say next, that the original title didn't have item highlighting, as though this was some kind of clever design choice of the day.

No it wasn't. There wasn't item highlighting ten years ago because ten years ago most games were brutally unforgiving and were bogged down in the mire with insanely stupid decisions, such as forcing gamers to go up to every damned door and take a shot at seeing if you could open it or not.

No.

Thief had item highlighting and it's 13 years old now.

Item highlighting is fine if used in the right context and it is subtle, Deus Ex 3 is not subtle, Thief 3 was not subtle, it just makes the game look like casual gaming trash when you have these bright neon highlights around everything, you might as well have a floating +10Exp come hovering out of the door when you open it, and get a flashing "achievement unlocked: you opened your 100th door" :rolleyes:

So WabeWalker yet again comes to the irrational and overzealous defense of another game in the face of a negative overall consensus from the rest of us. Who would have ever guessed.

so instead of leaning and what not, they put in that stupid cover type system....cause having your head behind an object makes it so you can see all around it with ease....

I'm sorry, IMO, this is going to be console wonder time...

Looks great, except for the obnoxious highlighting. Not against it conceptually, but the effect is too pronounced and highlights too much crap at once.

Other than that, looks like it has all the Deus Ex stuff intact. Run & Gun, Stealth (either lethal or non-lethal), lots of ways to navigate the level, and so on.

From previous footage we also know that the hacking and conversational aspects are far more involved than in the first game. With conversations actually having effects that matter more than whether you get 1 EMP Grenade or 2.

Looking forward to this game, but I want to see some PC footage with the PC UI they've been working on.

Aside from the highlighting and awkward 1st/3rd person transitions I think it looks awesome.

like others have said, the item glow looks to be poorly implemented. it breaks immersion. i'll reserve final judgment for when the game is released.

like others have said, the item glow looks to be poorly implemented. it breaks immersion. i'll reserve final judgment for when the game is released.

Same here. Not really surprised by the consolitis I'm seeing here...that's a given most of the time...but we'll see how it ends up.

If one more fucking person says "immersion"...

That word is so overused it is now entirely meaningless.

if one more fucking person says "overused"...

that word is so overused it is now entirely meaningless.

Overused! Immersion!

What now?! You gonna hit me with your fairy wand and turn me all glowly like half of the stuff in this vid? I dare you. :D

Still hopeful for the gameplay, though the last thing I'd want from a Deus Ex game is more hand-holding...

Gah, third person ladder climbing. Also dislike third person take downs and cover. Switching perspectives that much will make me motion sick.

If this allows modding like the first game, though, hopefully it won't take long for some clever programmer to release a "first-person only" lock. I hope so, at least.

They lost me at the very beginning."Press Start"? I know,they were using the PS3 version,but I get the feeling this will be another direct from the console version port. The shifting of views and cinematic type takedowns don't appeal to me at all,and graphically it doesn't impress me.

this :(

I don' t know anyone over 8 years old who actually enjoys these sort of cinematic take-downs thrown in many games... and the whole reason i hated gears of war was because of that stupid 3'rd person crouching BS.

Christ just let me play my game... I will hit Left Ctrl if i want to crouch.

also, I'll bet they will allow modding for the PC community, so hopefully this "first-person" lock isn't too hard :)

Last edited:
So WabeWalker yet again comes to the irrational and overzealous defense of another game in the face of a negative overall consensus from the rest of us. Who would have ever guessed.

It's ludicrous... a word I don't often use... to bury a game you haven't even played, six months before its release, because you saw that in the demo there was item highlighting.

Okay, maybe people weren't attempting to bury it completely - but seriously, it's becoming difficult to tell if some of you guys even like gaming.

It's ludicrous!

Scandal !!!

Deus Ex, still top 10 all time for me.
Deus Ex2, sucked.
Deus Ex3, not gonna play.

Third person, no thanks, highlights, no thanks.

I'd rather have a remake of Deus Ex 1 with todays graphics, I would be happy to pay premium $60 for that.

2 words: Cover System.

I guess the developers were thinking, lets take the console mechanics for like 80% of fps games and just throw it into our game. It'll play just like gears of war! The video also looked like they were playing black ops with all the ui bullshit going on. I know it was a tutorial level, but damn.

I am officially not caring at this point about when the game comes out. Sure I'll get it when it does, but I will pretend the game has nothing to do with the original, which is still my all time favorite game to this day.

I bet the next hitman game will have a cover system as well, lol.

Regardless of anything else, I'm sure I speak for a whole slew of people wheen I say that agree with this.

Count me in.

You don't need to know much about the game to get the general tone down, people do get a but hysterical early on but that's because we're all used to seeing the result of games being consolized and we're all aware of the early symptoms.

3rd person view, allowing peeking and pre-aiming before you leave cover smacks of console, as does obnoxious object highlighting, the whole press X to move from cover to cover this is really just awful, it makes the game look as if it has several preset pathways through the level which you can more or less stick to using the right sequence of movement and abilities, rather than the game being open and spawling and you finding your own path.

Multiple linear paths != open sprawling landscapes

LOL at this thread.

Problems with the game so far.

1) The evil item highlighting.
2) Oh my god there's a cover system!
3) For a brief moment, a 3rd person graphic shows the character's action. Unacceptable!
4) Too yellow.
5) Why are there bonfires everywhere? Is everyone on strike?
6) The Original Deus Ex was, like, oh my god, The Second Coming, and can never be made better. In fact let's not even try to make a new game, let's just remake the first one, because, well, the golden age of gaming was ten years ago when there was no item highlighting, or any of that ridiculous shit, and gamers were content to spend an hour searching for an item that was needed to advance the game.
7) Huh? It's a console port? Pass.
8) (My personal favorite) Wow, that ladder animation is going to get old real fast.

Did I miss anything? Maybe we could send this to Ubisoft or whichever fucktards are responsible for this abomination?

LOL at this thread.

3) For a brief moment, a 3rd person graphic shows the character's action. Unacceptable!
4) Too yellow.
6) The Original Deus Ex was, like, oh my god, The Second Coming, and can never be made better. In fact let's not even try to make a new game, let's just remake the first one, because, well, the golden age of gaming was ten years ago when there was no item highlighting, or any of that ridiculous shit, and gamers were content to spend an hour searching for an item that was needed to advance the game.
8) (My personal favorite) Wow, that ladder animation is going to get old real fast.

Did I miss anything? Maybe we could send this to Ubisoft or whichever fucktards are responsible for this abomination?

So if someone is going to comment in a thread about a trailer to a video game, they can only post praise?

gtfo--people are posting opinions in here, which is a hell of a lot more than what you took your time to post, just rampant sarcasm.

I still have hopes for this game on its own merits. I'm just a little bit concerned with some of what I'm seeing so far.

Obviously I always like to wait until the final product is around to render a final verdict. :)

Wabe said:

Some things that were done in that game haven't been equaled or surpassed.

I never spent an hour looking for an item in Deus Ex or most any other game I've played. I wouldn't have the patience. ;)

Not much gamers can do about the publisher, other than not buy their games to send a message. Games are like music I suppose, they all have their time period and change from year to year, most of the time not for the better because the things we are accustomed to change as well.

I still say consoles are doing gaming a disservice innovation wise. Sure they can allow more people to game because of price and accessibility, but the tech is ancient at this point and developers are forced to produce games within these constraints which is a shame.

Games like demons souls and dark souls come around once in a rare while thank god which happen to be amazing, but not often enough, but when they do they shit on 95% of games out there. :D

Sure they can allow more people to game because of price...

I'm not so sure if this is still true anymore... I'll bet you could build a computer for $200 which would handle the plethora of free games out there, and not spend a cent more than that.

in console land, you'd drop at least that on just the console... then have to buy a game.

So if someone is going to comment in a thread about a trailer to a video game, they can only post praise?

gtfo--people are posting opinions in here, which is a hell of a lot more than what you took your time to post, just rampant sarcasm.

People are indeed commenting.

And I'm commenting on the commentators. Must I agree with such pettiness? Item highlighting - that's what we're going to complain about. Pffft.

Alright, the floor is yours. See you in August. So long, suckers.

LOL at this thread.

4) Too yellow.

I also got a good laugh.

#6 is my favorite. No wonder game companies recycle content and release the same game every year ( Cod Series ) cause people just want the same game and nothing new. Those people should get out of the gaming business cause they do nothing but bring it down.

ROFL #6 is true. Everyone wants a remake and you'll be damned to try and make a new one.

Game look ok so far to me. Coloring is obviously on purpose.

It's ludicrous... a word I don't often use... to bury a game you haven't even played, six months before its release, because you saw that in the demo there was item highlighting.

Okay, maybe people weren't attempting to bury it completely - but seriously, it's becoming difficult to tell if some of you guys even like gaming.

It's ludicrous!

Unfortunately, your claims here lose all of their validity due to your carry-on in the Witcher 2 thread.

I also got a good laugh.

#6 is my favorite. No wonder game companies recycle content and release the same game every year ( Cod Series ) cause people just want the same game and nothing new. Those people should get out of the gaming business cause they do nothing but bring it down.

Wanting the sequel to a game that is as different to the usual FPS fare now as it was back in 2000 to be more like that original than the current lowest-common-denominator approach to gaming is not the same as recycling content each year. Get a clue.

Back