New Dell Switch deals w/free shipping

laserdemon

[H]ard|Gawd
Ripped from Slickdeals

Click the Servers, Storage & Networking tab to find these PowerConnect 10/100 Ethernet Switch deals with free shipping.

PowerConnect 2216 16-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch = $41
PowerConnect 2224 24-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch = $59
PowerConnect 2324 24-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch with 2 1000BASE-T built-in Gigabit Ethernet ports = $89

free shipping too

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/2000_workgroup_fast?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

I own the 16 port, great switch.

Just picked up the 2324 (24 100bt and 2gb uplinks) for my job. Thanks for the great info.

Thanks, I grabbed a 16-port switch to replace my aging Netgear 16-port 10/100 hub.

Damnit they need to bring back the half off gigabit switch deal. I am getting ready to move into my new house and need that 16 or 24 giga switch.

when u run a whole bunch a thin-clients, then you need all the bandwith you can get (www.ltsp.org for an example)! But switches with gigabit ports are expensive. Im glad this deal came along.

Does dell make their own switches or do they buy someone elses equipment and put their name on it? How do their switches compare to 3com's, cisco's or netgear?

valve1138 said:
that 2324 is a sweet deal.

damn, 2 gigE ports :drool:

I think the main use for those ports are going to be uplink to the rest of the network, so there is no bottle kneck. but you could still use it for 2 computers with gig cards i'm sure.

*edit added*

cwt137 said:
when u run a whole bunch a thin-clients, then you need all the bandwith you can get (www.ltsp.org for an example)! But switches with gigabit ports are expensive. Im glad this deal came along.

Does dell make their own switches or do they buy someone elses equipment and put their name on it? How do their switches compare to 3com's, cisco's or netgear?

Just out of curiosity, what kinda of hardware would the server for for such an application? all depending on the about of thin-clients, so 30? what kind of hardware would you need? or is that many even possible? i've never seen that stuff before really, but it looks quite interesting.

for linux, a P4 3.0 with 3-4gb of ram with a 10k scsi drive or ide raid array will hadle 30 thin-clients nicely. After about 40 users, its too much and you need to use more than one terminal server. The city of Largo, FL has over 200 users at once and they have it all on 4-5 servers.

Can windows handle 30 or more terminals at once?

cwt137 said:
for linux, a P4 3.0 with 3-4gb of ram with a 10k scsi drive or ide raid array will hadle 30 thin-clients nicely. After about 40 users, its too much and you need to use more than one terminal server. The city of Largo, FL has over 200 users at once and they have it all on 4-5 servers.

hmm thats interesting.... also my sister just moved from St. Pete

cwt137 said:

Yes, windows servers can handle much more than 30 Terminals. We have about 18,000 Citrix/Terminal Service users running on about 100 dell 2650 servers.

Thanks for the link on these switches, I was going to buy one this weekend, but just now placed my order!!!!

eurospeed said:
do the same math 30/40 x 100 = 30,000 -> 40,000 more bang for the buck :)

mmm, according to my calculator 40 * 100 = 4,000

18,000 users / 100 servers = 180 users per server...

Hartlove said:
mmm, according to my calculator 40 * 100 = 4,000

18,000 users / 100 servers = 180 users per server...

lol yeah i was trying to figure that one out.... i thought i got an A in my math class for nothing :p

I already have a 2024, any differences between that and the 2224? Or is it just a "newer" model?

cybertron said:
I think the main use for those ports are going to be uplink to the rest of the network, so there is no bottle kneck. but you could still use it for 2 computers with gig cards i'm sure.

Having a file server on GigE being hit by multiple PC's is the win. Noticable speed improvement.

but yeah, a gig backbone for a network is a common thing too.

have i missed something, i went to the page and the 24port with the gige stuff is 127$..

;(

Back