New Dell 2001fp

raptor 33

n00b
My first LCD and I'm blown away with it. Using the supplied DVI cable and I read somewhere in these pages that the stock cable isn't as good as an aftermarket cable. I raced down to my local cusa store and found a whole shelf full of them and they were all in the $60 to $90 price range :eek: Would the display benefit any with an expensive cable?

I really doubt it. It's pretty much like the Monster Cable crap...

Ha! Okay shoot me for saying that... :D

There is probably a very small difference, but not worth getting it for. I use Monster Cables for my iPod stereo cables, but that's just because I got them as a gift.

DVI cable is actually pretty important. The thicker it is, the less interference, thus the better the signal and image quality. But... it's not worth $60-90. I recommend searching around online and read about various DVI cables and go from there.

Ald

Aldoria said:
DVI cable is actually pretty important. The thicker it is, the less interference, thus the better the signal and image quality. But... it's not worth $60-90. I recommend searching around online and read about various DVI cables and go from there.

Ald
The cable is sending digital data encoded into a serial format. So, the cable is quite robust in resisting interference.

If his cable is bad he'll see what appear to be sparkles on the screen. If he doesn't see them, then the cable is fine and buying a different one isn't going to do anything other than lighten his wallet.

Your fine with your stock cable. Just keep your monitor power brick away from it.

Save your $90.00 bucks for something else.

Stereodude said:
The cable is sending digital data encoded into a serial format. So, the cable is quite robust in resisting interference.

If his cable is bad he'll see what appear to be sparkles on the screen. If he doesn't see them, then the cable is fine and buying a different one isn't going to do anything other than lighten his wallet.

Well said !

I recommend that everybody who is even remotely considering the idea of buying expensive DVI cabling read the above statement at least 25 times and brand it on their forehead before doing such a thing. You are either receiving correct data on your monitor or you aren't, in which case you will know *right away*. There is no in between.

Maad said:
Well said !

I recommend that everybody who is even remotely considering the idea of buying expensive DVI cabling read the above statement at least 25 times and brand it on their forehead before doing such a thing. You are either receiving correct data on your monitor or you aren't, in which case you will know *right away*. There is no in between.

Good news for my empty wallet :) thanks...

Back