New database servers...

agrikk

Gawd
A screen shot from one of our two new database servers. :hardware:

dbserver.jpg

Didn't know where else to post this and was fired up to get the cluster up and running. :D

32. :D

It's a pair of Dell R900s. Guess the management got tired of worrying about the current hardware getting taxed and pulled the trigger on these bad boys.

awsome.. and im an idiot! i was thinking the perf. read was looking at the cluster as a whole and not each node.. i think i will go sell cars :confused:

Please excuse my noob question, but how is one machine showing 16 cores? The most I can configure via dells site is 12 cores with 2 Xeon 6-core procs.

I think it's two machines clustered together.

Awesome though. how much did this beast cost?

Nope a windows cluster is still two unique machines. This is one of the two nodes in the cluster.

Please excuse my noob question, but how is one machine showing 16 cores? The most I can configure via dells site is 12 cores with 2 Xeon 6-core procs.

It's a quad-processor machine, each with four cores. If you look carefully at the options on their web site, there's an option for 2x quad-core xeon for the main processor. Then under "Additional processor" there's an option for another 2x quad-core. That's how you configure it for four processors.

Each machine cost just under $17,000.

We are upgrading our web infrastructure so the total purchase was two R900's and four 2950s with 8-cores each. It's a pity that they went straight to the data center for racking otherwise it would have made for a fun set of pics. :)

Yeah well, after these last few weeks' madness in the financial markets, our web site got slammed all to hell and customers got a little mad, to say the least.

So we're going with the "that's never going to happen to us again" approach. :D I love being listened to...

Why do you have so much CPU and so little ram? For a database server, I'd expect lots of RAM and not much CPU. Which DBMS are you using?

Interestingly, our database servers have been pegging the CPU while leaving the ram pretty much alone.

Interestingly, our database servers have been pegging the CPU while leaving the ram pretty much alone.
That's a very unique usage pattern. How do you have them configured, and what are they doing? What about disk?

That's a very unique usage pattern. How do you have them configured, and what are they doing? What about disk?

They are back end databases for our site. They serve up the portal content and host the community server databases. Disk is fiber attached SAN. I personally belive that the high CPU is stemming from the lack of recently indexed databases, or the lack of indexes on some of them altogether.

We are currently working on a complete site redesign that should alleviate some of the pressure on the servers, but in the mean time it was an easier solution to just throw hardware at it.

Back