New DAC SMSL SU-1 very impressed listening for a couple hours now.

atarione

2[H]4U
Anyway I decided to get a new dac and after looking at various options decided on this little SMSL SU-1 32bit usb c unit (power over USB connection.. thank you very much for not have a seperate 5v supply ..ugh)... also Optical / Coax inputs and RCA out. I have been using this with the USB interface @ 32Bit /96 and it sound very good / clean / detailed. Been using it w/ my NS-04G Pro (TPA3116) digital amp / realistic Minimus 7s and with my Creek OBH-11 and DT770 Pro 80s and sony mdr-v6 headphones. it is replacing the FiiO D03K I have been using for 8~yrs now.
1692830108571.jpeg
1692830168801.jpeg

I have had a week plus now with this dac.. and it is very impressive.. for $90~ It is impressive in it's ablities and capabilities.... It is noticably cleaner than the D03K I was using before.. But yeah, I am 100% satisfied with this purchase.

I have had a week plus now with this dac.. and it is very impressive.. for $90~ It is impressive in it's ablities and capabilities.... It is noticably cleaner than the D03K I was using before.. But yeah, I am 100% satisfied with this purchase.
Took me quite a while to appreciate that there's not much difference in audio quality between $100 and $1000 dacs regardless of what reviewers/influencers claim.

Took me quite a while to appreciate that there's not much difference in audio quality between $100 and $1000 dacs regardless of what reviewers/influencers claim.

Pretty much this. It's been mature tech now for decades. The odd thing often is the $1000+ DACs (usually the $5000+ range) are often awful performers at a technical level compared to the $100 ones. However, that doesn't mean to say you won't like the sound they make. Technical performance (good or bad) and how they actually sound to you (good or bad) can be worlds apart.

I think it mostly shows a lot of the "Audio Gods" from the 70's and 80's that started designing expensive turntables and had to design CD players, still know jack about digital tech and got kind of lucky that people in the 80's and 90's didnt have access to sophisticated measuring equipment like we have now.

That and the boomers that are buying all this hi-res stuff haven't heard anything over 15kHz for years...

Last edited:
Back