New Crysis 2 Trailer

looks good...

concerns:
(1) no human enemies? yea I know the aliens are now basically reskinned humanoids, but I love killing people... I dunno, just something I like

(2) will we still have the awesome sandbox map editor? the only thing that concerns me about this being a console game is there there might not be many enemies at one time in game.... easily solved by just painting in tons of them in the map mode (I made so many crazy levels in the original along these lines.... sooo much fun!)

(3) Will it still rape the best PCs out? Please god I hope so, I just love hearing the kiddies of the new gaming generation bitch and moan about games actually pushing their systems :)

Just watched the trailer while listening to Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell it was pretty drat cool! Dio makes everything better, anyways looks like it could be on par or better than the first (I'm no Crysis fanboy by any means) although the mechs look a little generic. Also I wish it wouldn't be in New York, but oh well. I really hope we get to find out what happened to Pyscho and Prophet as they were the only characters that mattered in the first game.

I have to agree, this looks pretty awesome. I hope it has more than the deathmatch and war (forget what it's called) game modes. If crytek were smart, they'd add a counter-strike like game mode (defuse bomb, rescue hostages, 1-life rounds), ya it's tiresome, but cs + cs:s has a helluva lot of players, and if that would make them switch to the better game/engine, I say do it.

Hmm... could someone point out what my untrained eye is missing? I'm not seeing anything that makes me particularly impressed with CryEngine 3. What was in the video that couldn't be done on say, the Unreal Engine (the one used for ME 2)?

The gameplay looked like a lot of fun though; I'm holding off on the preorder until I see some reviews but I liked the first one and this looks promising.

I'm really not holding out much hope for this one. To me at least it just looks like they strayed too far from the original Crysis to the point where this is just Crysis in name only except for the nanosuit. Kinda like they did with Far Cry 2 vs the original Far Cry. They really should have named it something else because it sure was a far cry from being Far Cry.

Hmm... could someone point out what my untrained eye is missing? I'm not seeing anything that makes me particularly impressed with CryEngine 3. What was in the video that couldn't be done on say, the Unreal Engine (the one used for ME 2)?

The gameplay looked like a lot of fun though; I'm holding off on the preorder until I see some reviews but I liked the first one and this looks promising.

Graphical detail capable on cryengine compared to unreal engine is like night and day. There is still no UE based game that comes close to how amazing crysis and warhead looked when released 2 years ago.

Yeah Im definitely looking forward to this one, almost as much as Dead Space 2. I may even go so far as to buy it when its released and pay the full $60!

Graphical detail capable on cryengine compared to unreal engine is like night and day. There is still no UE based game that comes close to how amazing crysis and warhead looked when released 2 years ago.

I'm not arguing about the graphics in Crysis and Warhead mate :). Every time I see a new game release, I always hold out hope that they licensed CryEngine for it. (and I'm always disappointed). I'm just saying that I'm not seeing the graphical splendor from Crysis/Warhead in this trailer. Maybe it's the resolution? I was watching the HD version though so I don't think so. To me the city doesn't look too much better than Prototype.

It's because all the gameplay videos use the console version, so everything looks worse.

Pretty impressive, can't wait to see what it looks like on the PC. I hope it isn't a disappointment. We really need to start pushing the limits of graphics again for the PC.

Will be funny if this fails on consoles, Cevat will undoubtedly blame the used sales market for why it did not sell a bajillion copies like every halo and COD release :D

I can see it now. Console gamers are going to compare xbox360/ps3 versions, models, manufacture dates, revisions. First gen xbox 360 models owners are going to see which one outlast each other before their system RROD :p

Starting to get suspicious about the distinct absence of videos of the PC version. What is Crytek hiding?

The guns and gameplay look like a big step up from the original, though.

not true, the unreal engine isn't the same engine that was being used for ut3, its been updated on a regular basis. I think the last time was last than 2 weeks ago in fact. I know different types of games, but I don't think bioshock 2 looked worse than crysis, me2 was a good example as well.

looks good...

concerns:
(1) no human enemies? yea I know the aliens are now basically reskinned humanoids, but I love killing people... I dunno, just something I like
It's a trailer bro ... their only going to show the cool stuff.

Remember how a year ago people were bitching and moaning about how the graphics look. The game looks incredible now.

the trailer is sick, hope to see this on tv. The game looks amazing.

Honestly not that impressed, has there been any major advancement since Crysis and Warhead? Doesn't look like it. Looks like Crysis for consoles to me, meh.

not true, the unreal engine isn't the same engine that was being used for ut3, its been updated on a regular basis. I think the last time was last than 2 weeks ago in fact.

Yes true, NOTHING on UE3 comes close to crysis' graphics.

I know different types of games, but I don't think bioshock 2 looked worse than crysis, me2 was a good example as well.

You need to get your eyes checked because bioshock 2 looked like a shit smeared painting in comparison to crysis. Hell, it even looked noticeably worse than bioshock 1.

Looks more like the "optimization" consists of setting the game in a city, because buildings are easier to draw than dense vegetation. The only major change in CryEngine 3 seems to be the existence of a console version. I just hope the compromises they undoubtedly made to squeeze it onto the consoles don't negatively affect the PC version, like how Warhead was supposed to be more optimized than original Crysis, but it also didn't look as good.

Looks more like the "optimization" consists of setting the game in a city, because buildings are easier to draw than dense vegetation. The only major change in CryEngine 3 seems to be the existence of a console version. I just hope the compromises they undoubtedly made to squeeze it onto the consoles don't negatively affect the PC version, like how Warhead was supposed to be more optimized than original Crysis, but it also didn't look as good.
I'd reserve judgment on that till we get our hands on the game.
I'll bet if you were to import a level from Crysis into Crysis 2 it would run at least a bit better.

The team already said that if the features don't scale down to the consoles then they wont make it in the game, that's why we're not going to see cutting edge stuff like tessellation I bet.

Well at least it had "Just like you Imagined" in the Trailer, good song. Thats all I can say.

not true, the unreal engine isn't the same engine that was being used for ut3, its been updated on a regular basis. I think the last time was last than 2 weeks ago in fact. I know different types of games, but I don't think bioshock 2 looked worse than crysis, me2 was a good example as well.

Bioshock 2 didn't even use UE3, it is UE2.5 and it looks fucking awful. ME2 looked fine when you focused on the characters, everything else was low res textures and very very minimal use of proper shaders. Crysis easily outmatched them in graphical detail.

Bioshock 2 didn't even use UE3, it is UE2.5 and it looks fucking awful. ME2 looked fine when you focused on the characters, everything else was low res textures and very very minimal use of proper shaders. Crysis easily outmatched them in graphical detail.

Bioshock 1 and 2 both had barf looking textures although the art style was reasonably good.

I think what people need to realize is that there are two aspects of videogame graphics, the art aspect as well as the technical aspect. You can give anyone the tools, but to create a videogame world you need more than just that. It's really like anyone can pick up a pencil, but artists can bring things to life on paper. When someone claims "Game A has better graphics than Game B", it could be for more reasons than Game A takes more to run.

That said, Crysis 2 definitely looks like they put a lot of effort into the design and visuals of the game. Tech aside, I really like the details I've seen thus far.

As far as "generic and boring" - I actually like the playstyle of the nanosuit and it looks like they definitely went further with the unique nanosuit abilities in Crysis 2. That's what really set Crysis apart for me in terms of gameplay, and it's definitely not generic. Can't wait for this game.

The team already said that if the features don't scale down to the consoles then they wont make it in the game, that's why we're not going to see cutting edge stuff like tessellation I bet.

I have very little hope that the game will look better than Crysis/Warhead myself. But I do suspect it will perform better. We will see.

your opinion, I have always thought crysis looked shitty from an artistic standpoint, so little variation and if it didn't have the stupid motion blur shit NONE of you would be saying it looked great either. Same with crysis warhead, although I did think farcry 2 looked alright.

Crysis had it's spots that looked pretty, but start taking a look around in random spots in the game and you'll realize it's nothing special.

Last edited:
why do the enemy have a glow around them? are we too stupid to realize the bad guys?

why do the enemy have a glow around them? are we too stupid to realize the bad guys?

If you played Crysis 1 or Warhead (sounds like you haven't) its a way to mark them on your minimap using binoculars.

The object animations are much more fluid than Crysis. That's one thing that the original really failed on. I hope that the same characters make an appearance in one form or another, despite how cheesy they were.

Back