New Crucial PC2100 @ 223fsb

M1ster_R0gers

[H]ard [H]eaded
Just got this back last week under RMA (I had some failed sticks laying around for a year or two and decided to finally send them in).

I was betting that the memory makers were similar to CPU manufactures regarding using current chips and remarking the product to reflect the current ratings. Since playing with the timings and settings on the first night, I found the fastest (prime 95) stable setting:

micron266223mhz.gif

I dont know if anyone else will have the same luck but if you have broke old sticks laying around with a lifetime warranty, it might be time to send them in! :D

Prime doesn't really test memory m8, despite what the options declare. At best, it's good for testing memory timings.

Though I'd register to add my 50 cents.

I also have 2 old sticks of Crucial PC2100, cherrypicked of 4 sticks, and yesterday I put the sticks in another computer and ran them at 200 MHz with 3-4-4-11 timings on a NF7-S at default voltage. I booted UBCD, and ran Memtest (F3+F3), and it ran through without problems.
We put the cover on and put the machine back into it's place and ran another Memtest+ (F3+F4), which unfortunately made errors. Voltage was increased to 2.8v and I left my friend playing Generals. It still wasn't stable, and he tried increasing voltage to 2.9v, but still unstable. Lastly his own PC3200 was put in instead.

What is the problem here? Is the heat taking the toll on the chips? I'd love to have them run 200 MHz, as I could then swap my motherboard to a NF7-S and CPU to a XP3200, without changing memory.

Right now the memory run 133 MHz at 2-2-2-6 completely stable.

3hrmemtest.jpg

What is the problem here? Is the heat taking the toll on the chips? I'd love to have them run 200 MHz, as I could then swap my motherboard to a NF7-S and CPU to a XP3200, without changing memory.

these arent OLD pc2100. I got them from crucial last week, so they are recently manufactured. Remember than ram is sold on the spot market, and even though micron is a big memory/chip manufacturer I was betting that they are using a current version of memory chips and rating them for a lower speed. I think my hunch is right.

My sticks are old ones, from christmas 2001. But you are most likely correct in assuming the sticks returned from Crucial are faster, but labeled as PC2100.

Esben said:
My sticks are old ones, from christmas 2001. But you are most likely correct in assuming the sticks returned from Crucial are faster, but labeled as PC2100.
Most of the old crucial/corsair pc2100 ranged in the 160-190fsb area. I suspect 200fsb is a lot to expect out of them. Try testing them in the 180-198 range and see where they max out. Try to keep the vdimm at the lowest stable setting (reduces heat!).

M1ster_R0gers said:
3hrmemtest.jpg

these arent OLD pc2100. I got them from crucial last week, so they are recently manufactured. Remember than ram is sold on the spot market, and even though micron is a big memory/chip manufacturer I was betting that they are using a current version of memory chips and rating them for a lower speed. I think my hunch is right.

Congrats,
I had a stick of kingston value ram 512 333mhz rated, it ran 250FSB stable. I had screen shots but I cant seem to find them, if I do I'll let you know. It did this @ 3.0V 3 4 4 8 timmings. It would boot @ 275 but not stable 267 would be stable @ 3.2V but I didn't wanna fry it.

I ended up selling it for a cheap price to someone in need of descent memory, kinda a hook up for the less fortunate folks..

SJetski71 said:
Most of the old crucial/corsair pc2100 ranged in the 160-190fsb area. I suspect 200fsb is a lot to expect out of them. Try testing them in the 180-198 range and see where they max out. Try to keep the vdimm at the lowest stable setting (reduces heat!).
I will see if I can have them tested again at some other time. I'm almost certain they will run 166 at 2.5-3-3-11. Thanks for your reply.

Back