• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

New Creative gaming headset - Fatality mkII

I've boycotted Creative since the Vista debacle with their soundcards.

From what I saw though, they don't seem like anything special. Look kinda comfy though.
 
I've boycotted Creative since the Vista debacle with their soundcards.
Agreed about their software/drivers, but they make decent hardware. I have their Ep-830 in-ear-monitors and like them a lot.
 
I've boycotted Creative since the Vista debacle with their soundcards.

From what I saw though, they don't seem like anything special. Look kinda comfy though.

better you should blame Dolby. they did not 'allow' creative to activate dolby live on vista drivers for pre-existing owners. in other words they wanted more money!

those earpads look the same as the aurvana lives. other than that i doubt much has improved
 
Headphone specs are usually worth less than the toner it would consume to print them out.

While they look better than the first ones you linked, in that the first ones look like something that fell out of a Chinese sweatshop's truck en route to Toys R Us, I would be a bit shocked to see the new ones be worth nearly what they decide to charge for them. Creative worked hard earning their reputation...why stop now?
 
I fail to understand why people buy these "gaming" headsets. Buy a quality headset @ the same price and add a Zalman clip on mic. Billion times better at the same price.
 
I fail to understand why people buy these "gaming" headsets. Buy a quality headset @ the same price and add a Zalman clip on mic. Billion times better at the same price.

Well, the mic is the tricky part.

I've got the Zalman clip-on mic on a set of Sennheisers, and while I definitely like the sound quality when listening to music...

...honestly, it's rather overkill for games.

MOST game audio files are 128kbps-encoded, so listening to them on good quality headphones is almost painful sometimes. You can really hear the compression artifacts easily. And while the Zalman mic works very well...it's easier to do much better with a good boom mic. The Zalman requires normal speaking volume, and that's not so great at night. A good boom mic you can talk softly/whisper at, and set it up to still be heard clearly in-game.

About the only solid reason for headphones in gaming (and the reason I do it), is that when paired with an X-Fi's incredible HRTF algorithm (their 'CMSS-3d Headphone' system), you can absolutely pinpoint the source of audio in full 3-dimension space. That's a killer advantage! However, it's almost entirely the soundcard doing that - the X-Fi HRTF capability is simply not beat anywhere else in the market. So if you aren't even PLAYING on an X-Fi, and relying on the game's built-in (typically rather godawful) 'headphone' implementation, I really can't see the point of spending a lot of money on the cans for "gaming headphones". The audio source files just don't have the quality to call for it.
 
Different headphones are better suited to different kinds of music. Which implies that different headphones are also better or worse for gaming...regardless of whether they're great for a particular kind of music. I don't really use my Stax or Grados for gaming at all, whereas Beyer 770s or modded Sony V6s are great, and Audio Technicas are nice for when the game does a respectable job of using music to create atmosphere.

The "gaming headphones" argument, on the other hand, is simply that headphones marketed as such are usually overpriced junk.
 
Back
Top