• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

new cpu

mysteron75

n00b
Joined
Feb 17, 2012
Messages
5
I am currently looking into upgrading my computer. I'm currently running a phenom 940 black edition. I am looking for a good gaming setup with good overclocking potential. I have been looking at socket 1155 and 2011. I am having a bit of a time choose between the 2600 and the new 3820. Any insight wouwbe much appreciated. Thanks
 
Stick with the LGA 1155 - unless you absolutely have to have 6 cores, there is no reason to pay the extra for LGA 2011. The 2500K/2600K are plenty of power for anything you can throw at them.
 
Yeah, the i5 2500K and i7 2600K would be an awesome choice! Going from a x4 940BE to any of those chips would be a great noticeable upgrade and both of those chips overclock like hell!
 
Its good to hear the 2600 would be a good choice. Will they be making anymore socket1155 in the future and also what would guys recommend for a motherboard?
 
Well my signature says it all but I love my MSI motherboard, maybe it's something you might want to get? I came from a Phenom x4 970 and my current setup BLOWS it out of the water! I'm not sure if there will be anymore new 1155 chips, isn't the upcoming Ivy chips 1155?
 
Its good to hear the 2600 would be a good choice. Will they be making anymore socket1155 in the future and also what would guys recommend for a motherboard?

Ivy Bridge chips will also be LGA 1155. If you aren't overclocking you can easily find a board around $120 (something like the Asus P8Z68-V LE or LX - which is good for overclocks to ~4.5), or you can go a little higher with something like the Asus P8Z68-V or the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3.
 
Good to know ivy bridge chips will be available for 1155. Will they have more than four cores or will that be only for the 2011 socket?
 
Do not build a 2500k/2600k with gimped 2.0 PCI-E today that is just foolish.

I would definitely HOLD OFF until there is some great 1155/2011 motherboards with 100% verified PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth speeds with a current bios and UEFI for the IB chips.

That should be the most important feature on a new system build/motherboard if your a [H]core PC gamer imho. Those boards should all have SATA 6 and USB 3.0 with better power consumption for the 22nm IB chips.

Don't jump to soon, and who knows if there will be any PCI-E 3.0 issues hee hee. Early SB had problems with SATA ports, just sayin. Best to take your time and watch it, to see how it goes.
 
I would like to be able to take a a lot of time but i have a limited window. I have a baby coming at the end of July. There for I won’t have any spare money for a while . So I just want to build a system that will overclock like a beast and be upgrade able in a year or two with a better cpu. Right now i am look at doing one of these configs

Intel Core i7-2600K

ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155

or

Intel Core i7-3820

ASRock X79 Extreme9 LGA 2011
 
Well if you want a CPU that will overclock like a beast the 2500K\2600K is the champ! My mobo is PCI-E 2.0 and I'm loving the gaming on it. With the way my setup performs I'm sure I won't need to be doing anything for the next year and when that times comes I'm sure all I'll be upgrading is the graphics card. I won't be doing any major upgrades for 2yrs, that how confident I am with my setup
 
In addition to what the other responders stated, be advised that the OP will also need new DDR3 RAM. That's because the x4 940 BE uses only DDR2 RAM, which will not work at all on any of the newer-generation Intel platforms.
 
I would definitely HOLD OFF until there is some great 1155/2011 motherboards with 100% verified PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth speeds with a current bios and UEFI for the IB chips.


Good point. There are many boards advertised as being PCI-E 3 capable now but I would rather wait for the new chipsets. Maybe some of the current boards will have 100% of the performance but why buy early if you don't have to?



I would like to be able to take a a lot of time but i have a limited window. I have a baby coming at the end of July. There for I won’t have any spare money for a while . So I just want to build a system that will overclock like a beast and be upgrade able in a year or two with a better cpu.


Ivy Bridge cpus will be out in the 1st half of April. I wouldn't expect being able to upgrade it to something significantly faster. The next generation of Intel cpus, haswell, will use a different socket.
 
Do not build a 2500k/2600k with gimped 2.0 PCI-E today that is just foolish.

I would definitely HOLD OFF until there is some great 1155/2011 motherboards with 100% verified PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth speeds with a current bios and UEFI for the IB chips.

That should be the most important feature on a new system build/motherboard if your a [H]core PC gamer imho. Those boards should all have SATA 6 and USB 3.0 with better power consumption for the 22nm IB chips.

Don't jump to soon, and who knows if there will be any PCI-E 3.0 issues hee hee. Early SB had problems with SATA ports, just sayin. Best to take your time and watch it, to see how it goes.

Why would you call PCI-e 2.0 "gimped"? You're making seem as if it's the equivalent to running AGP 1x or 2x with the most current games. As far as testing with a 7970, PCI-e 2.0 is perfectly fine, in both x16 and x8 configurations. Granted, there is a tiny bit of a performance hit, even when compared to PCI-e 3.0 x16 and x8, but nothing that is going to drag any game into such a low framerate that it becomes unplayable.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting a currently available MoBo with PCI-e 2.0 onboard. However, most MoBo manufacturers have already transitioned their current Z68 1155 offerings to PCI-e 3.0 and IB ready, so it's likely not going to be an issue anyway...

Z77 isn't really going to offer anything special over Z68 except for 100% guaranteed IB and SB compatibility. And as far as the number of SATA ports, how many go unused for a majority of us here, let alone the cookie-cutter PC buyers? Yeah, probably about half to two-thirds of them. 4-6 ports should be plenty for almost anyone.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

If we all played the perpetual waiting game for X,Y, and Z Technology to arrive since it's "just around the corner", we'd still be using our K6-2's and PIII's of yesterdecade.

That being said, since IB and Cougar Point (Z77) are due to emerge sometime within the next couple of months, it may very well be worth the wait since price-points are about spot-on with SB. Or, just go with SB+Z68 now since it's going to perform roughly the same as IB+Z77 and Haswell will be out in another year anyway thus making both obsolete.
 
Cuz PCI-E 2.0 is soooooo January 2007 :p

Seriously why buy a mobo today that you won't want in a couple months because you decide you want to SLI/CFX some modern GPU's down the line? Or you have install it and yank it out 2 months later to go sell it on ebay or sumthing? Poo that's a waste of time bro. Think ahead.

Early SB adopters, =SATA problems on some first gen mobos. Z68 upgrade. Oops Z68 doesn't have PCI-E 3...next mobo = PCI-E 3.0 SB mobo upgrade. Wow 3 upgrades to get it right, ouch! Marketing mental muscle of Intel right there for ya, oops you don't want to comprehend it. ;)

Also if you run a PCI-E SSD on 2.0 it will cost your 25 percent performance than running it on a Gen 3.0 PCI-E. When your next gen GPU 8970 or GTX 780 gives you 25 percent or more less FPS you'll wish you had a little patience, and didn't have to strip down your whole system to yank the mobo out and sell it just because you HAD to HAVE IT NOW like Veruca Salt from that 70's movie! Comon man if you waited this long just wait a few months and get a mobo with PCI E 3.0, SATA 6 and USB 3.0 it's the best choice won't have to yank that mobo out for 2 years if you do it that way.

TLDR: Never upgrade a mobo if it is going to be obsolete in a couple months. Seriously. :eek:
 
2500k or 2600k should be just fine with good MB unless you need all those cores 2011 offers
 
Back
Top