New CPU, Vista re-activation?

Well, I just put in my new Q6600.

Now Vista wants me to re-activate due to major hardware changes. Right now I'm running on a P5W-DH and I want to eventually upgrade that too to either an IP35 or the next best thing that comes out. Vista says I have 3 "grace" days to re-activate. If I go ahead and activate again now, will I have any issues when I get a new mobo eventually? Or should I hurry my ass to Frys and get an IP35, and then re-activate?

In other words, how many times can I re-activate due to hardware changes? Ideally, I need 2 re-activations.

I'm using VISTA Ultimate x64 OEM

Thanks for any help guys.

You will have to re-activate when you install the new motherboard.

Right, but will they give me any trouble for doing it again? Something like "Sorry, you've already activated once due to hardware changes. Go buy a new copy!" ?

Right, but will they give me any trouble for doing it again? Something like "Sorry, you've already activated once due to hardware changes. Go buy a new copy!" ?

Probably not. Keep in mind that you have an OEM version of Vista. That means it's legally tied to the 'computer' it is originally installed on, which more or less is defined as the motherboard. Most have been successful at re-activating after a motherboard swap. I believe you can replace the motherboard in case of a failure and successfully re-activate.

I have re-actived my copy of windows vista 2 times already. The first time I re-installed vista was when i seperated the hard drives that were in raid0 then one day windows updated itself and asked to be re-actived again. I called microsoft and they activated my vista with no problem.

There are NO RESTRICTIONS on the number of times you can reinstall and reactivate over time!

It won't always pass automatic activation, but when it fails, as long as you continue meeting the license conditions, you can reactivate the product as many times as you have need to, via telephone activation when necessary.

Back